Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 07:04 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barito View Post
funny thing... the 1st president of Mexico was black, he used skin lightener to hide the fact. There are many African influences in Mexico, included in their food and music. Granted the darker population is discriminated against by the dominant White society, govt and economics, people have been brainwashed like all over to think the lighter you are the more acceptable you are to white society.

The first president of Mexico (Guadalupe Victoria) was not black, and at best had a tiny amount of black blood. His being black is the claim of Afrocentric historical revisionists, and it appears to me that some pics of him have been somewhat darkened, but facial features are not African/black. Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 14,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
The first president of Mexico (Guadalupe Victoria) was not black, and at best had a tiny amount of black blood. His being black is the claim of Afrocentric historical revisionists, and it appears to me that some pics of him have been somewhat darkened, but facial features are not African/black. Nice try.
U taken way too much pleasure in correcting what is probably an honest mistake
He was mistaken about which president was black , Vincente Guerrero replaced Victoria. Vincente was indeed part African and Indian

Old 05-13-2022, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 5,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgzown View Post
If anyone thinks Mexico isn’t racist has never been, or is just completely clueless. Mexico is even less tolerant than the United States.
I don't know who told you that, but you can do a simple search on Youtube for black people living in Mexico and the majority rave about the quality of life, and how they are NOT judged for being black. There are many black women, men, and whole families who have moved to Mexico and are thriving. I plan on being one of them.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanQuintin View Post
Having lived in Mexico for decades, I can say that there is much less racism in Mexico than the US. Nothing in this life is 100% but I find there is generally much better acceptance for diversity here in Mexico than up north.
What do you mean by diversity? Diversity of age, sex, intelligence, social background, economic status, education, religion, language, work ethic, family values, or geography?

Old 05-15-2022, 08:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
What do you mean by diversity? Diversity of age, sex, intelligence, social background, economic status, education, religion, language, work ethic, family values, or geography?
Lol yeah. No matter how you look at it Mexico has a long way to go in being an accepting diverse society. No one even expects it really. I mean really when people "endearingly" call close family members menso, gordo, negrito, guero or a bunch of other things that they swear aren't mean spirited when does one think society will ever be accepting of diversity?

And while I'm happy some black foreigners feel welcome, they ought to remember they are seen as wealthier and more privileged for their resources. The fact that their skin color doesn't seem to come up is because they are seen as a foreigner first.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:28 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
A good of friend of mine moved to Ensenada, Baja Mexico with her black husband to live life easier (high living costs in the US nowadays). Ensenada seems to have a significant American population including wealthy retirees and young priced out Californian expats. There's also a sizable African American population from what I hear. According to some demographics stats Baja California, Mexico is around 2% black

Last edited by NearFantastica; 05-16-2022 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 12:33 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post

In the Philippines I always get teased by children about my "long nose" (I'm white). It always make me laugh when they want to touch it and I make a biting noise like a dog. That kind of breaks the ice then things roll much smoother.
I've watched some crazy videos on the Philippines where some of the girls straight up fetishize White American men, talking about how gorgeous we all are, how light our skin is, how our blue eyes are "godlike" and saying stuff like "I want cute mixed white babies". It reminds me so much of the White women here in America that fetishize black men, it's really wild.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:07 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I've watched some crazy videos on the Philippines where some of the girls straight up fetishize White American men, talking about how gorgeous we all are, how light our skin is, how our blue eyes are "godlike" and saying stuff like "I want cute mixed white babies". It reminds me so much of the White women here in America that fetishize black men, it's really wild.
Evidently some Polynesian women felt the same about the European sailors who blighted their shores in the 18th century. No matter how physically unattractive these man were, they were considered desirable as baby fathers because of their lighter skin and eyes. You're right, it's crazy!

Old 07-04-2022, 04:18 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Africa had so much influence on Mexico's culture especially music, dance styles, and food.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:41 PM

629 posts, read 409,763 times
I sincerely believe that for ANYONE looking for racism, they will doubtlessly find it.

I worked with hundreds of Latinos from all over Central America during the 15 years I lived in California. And I'd have to say that "awareness of a racial divide" was just as acute among the Latinos as it is among most white people that I've ever known. It wasn't the kind of hatred you see on the 6 o'clock news....but there is definitely a "home team preference" among the majority of Latinos I've ever met.

And one thing in particular to distinguish their form of bias compared to whites. Since the latinos were "minorities" also, there seemed to be some air of immunity, where they didn't see their bias as "wrong" in the same context as when whites display bias. I don't want to use the term "entitlement" because that's too strong. But it's not too far behind.

And yes, there is considerable classism among the Mexican people. I've not done a scientific study, but it seems like the greater percentage of euro in their blood line, their demeanor was self inflated, or more "entitled". Perhaps that is why, as someone stated earlier in the thread, many of them try to stay out of the sun to maintain their lighter pigmentation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico