Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

POPULATION IS TOO GENETICALLY DIVERSE TO DEFINE, SAY RESEARCHERS

Medical researchers, doctors and census-takers may lump Latinos or Hispanics into one group, but a giant study of Mexican genetics shows there’s really no such thing.

Mexicans themselves show such extreme diversity that someone from the dry north is genetically as different from someone from the Yucatan as a European is from an East Asian.

Genetically, There's No Such Thing as a Mexican - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Mexican was never about being a race -- until the La Raza groups tried to make it be.

A Mexican is a citizen of the country of Mexico. That citizen of Mexico can be pure white, pure black, or any combination.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,603 times
That's exactly what most Mexicans have been saying, since the dawn of the internet era.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexican was never about being a race -- until the La Raza groups tried to make it be.

A Mexican is a citizen of the country of Mexico. That citizen of Mexico can be pure white, pure black, or any combination.
Here we go again with this obsession with La Raza and their supposed influence.

Oh the fantasies people create online.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Here we go again with this obsession with La Raza and their supposed influence.

Oh the fantasies people create online.
I was going to say the same thing in the morning but i did not bother lol. I dare Malamute to go to a random Mexican American or Mexican and ask them what La Raza Organization is. They won't know. Malamute that is a unknown organization. All the media outlets that you are getting your information from inflates the influence of La Raza Organization. They want to you to believe they are a real threat to society. The people you listen to talk more about La Raza then Mexican Americans and Mexicans. Ask yourself this Malamute. Have you ever notice that they are always trying to scare you? They are always talking about how this or that is a threat to the United States and that the country is going downhill. They play with your emotions talking about patriotism and family and religion. They want you to "stand up for you country" and reclaim your country back to the "glory days".

Malamute, Mexico is not secretly trying to take over the Southwest, those are fear tactics. We don't want to drain medicare or medicaid. We don't want for things to change. Real about the discrimination of new immigrants through U.S history. Historically the United States always discriminates against New Immigrants. And its always about the same things. They are evil, they are lazy, they are going to take away our jobs, we don't want them here they are not trustful. Its the same thing! Just look at the discrimination that Italians went through. It always happens like that.

Its all fear tactics Malamute. Look between the lines. They are playing with your emotions. They are always saying everyone is going to go downhill unless you "stand your ground" etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
POPULATION IS TOO GENETICALLY DIVERSE TO DEFINE, SAY RESEARCHERS

Medical researchers, doctors and census-takers may lump Latinos or Hispanics into one group, but a giant study of Mexican genetics shows there’s really no such thing.

Mexicans themselves show such extreme diversity that someone from the dry north is genetically as different from someone from the Yucatan as a European is from an East Asian.

Genetically, There's No Such Thing as a Mexican - NBC News
Mexicans could be of any race or combination, the same way U.S. Nationals are of any race, or any combination.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 PM

111 posts, read 289,810 times
There is a widely accepted view among scientists which says that since the variations within cultural groups are greater than variations between cultural groups the concept of race, within homo sapiens, is highly questionable.

Race (human classification) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
But nobody has any trouble defining "An American". Hmmm.

I have a 1950's detailed road map of Mexico. Cancun is not on it, nor is there even a dirt road going to where Cancun is now. Forty-five ago, there was nothing there. (The population was 3, in 1970) Every single person in Cancun is descended from parents who came to Cancun from somewhere else in Mexico, and now they all live there together. All 722,000 of them.

If you go to Cancun and walk the streets (it's a lovely city -- one of my favorites in Mexico), you'll lfind that every person you meet is Exactly Mexican. And they are just like the people you'll meet in any other place in Mexico -- which is where they came from.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-15-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM

205 posts, read 245,134 times
I dont care what a bunch of non hispanics say about hispanics. If its not their culture then they have no say so and should stay out of it.

Doing otherwise is like having a caucasian person telling an africna american what their culture and race is. Its stupid.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I dont care what a bunch of non hispanics say about hispanics. If its not their culture then they have no say so and should stay out of it.

Doing otherwise is like having a caucasian person telling an africna american what their culture and race is. Its stupid.
Hispanic people are all the races that's why it really is more cultural than racial and that is why I don't think someone like Jessica Alba is Hispanic. But I'm a non-Hispanic person and not even American so maybe my grasp on the term is not accurate. To me it means someone who speaks Spanish and is from Latin America regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico