Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,525 times

Advertisements

How popular is "American" style food in the Central and Southern States of Mexico? I'm talking about foods like hamburgers, french fries, hot dogs, chicken wings, cold cut sandwiches, mac n cheese etc
I've seen some American style foods in the Mexican border cities. That crossover obviously doesn't surprise me. But I've never been to the Central or Southern States, so I'm a bit curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM

836 posts, read 2,946,806 times
Very popular...

Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM

20 posts, read 43,795 times
Yes, very popular in the tourist towns. Once you get away from the tourists, you will never see a good smoked brisket, fried chicken or anything else you would consider American.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_Montoya View Post
Yes, very popular in the tourist towns. Once you get away from the tourists, you will never see a good smoked brisket, fried chicken or anything else you would consider American.
True, brisket or anything American style BBQ is so rare in Mexico. I have always wondered if there is an opportunity to open a Texas style BBQ place, just play up how American it is because that always sells well. Amazing how much people love American brand restaurants like Chilis, Applebees and Dennys.

Fried chicken is a bit different from say KFC, but not that hard to find. Hot dogs and hamburgers are everywhere, especially outside of bars late at night.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:37 AM

20 posts, read 43,795 times
Dante, the owner of a cantina/restaurant wants me to partner up with him and cook smoked brisket, ribs and chicken in his place in Cordoba. We will see.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,525 times
I thought American style BBQ might be more popular. Isn't pig roasting a Mexican tradition?

I also think it is funny how Taco Bell tried twice, once in 92 and once in 07, to open restaurants in Mexico and failed miserably both times. I know Taco Bell is really far from authentic Mexican food, but I thought the younger crowd might give it a chance to succeed.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,206 times
I live in Mexico City and I have have been to and eaten in many places in the city and in the surrounding states in south central Mexico over several years. American-style food, in my observation, is really not that popular here. Sure, you see hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza here---but these items are served with a Mexican flair. They don't really qualify as American-style to me. For example, hamburgers are often some kind of mixed ground meat (part chorizo, part ground beef, part soy), so it doesn't really taste like an American all-beef hamburger. The first time I had one, I almost spat it up--it just wasn't what I was expecting. Hot dogs are never all-beef, or the German-style frankfurters so popular in the US. They are always made with ground chicken or turkey (the cheapest kind available), and they serve them with Mexican-style toppings (salsa, tomatoes, chilis, for instance).

And forget about pizza. Unless it's pizza from a chain place like Sbarro (in the big shopping malls), it will not be what you expect---at all. I have tried the local pizza dozens of times, but it always tastes like something is definitely missing. Even Dominos and Pizza Hut (which are plentiful here) do not taste like those brands back in the US. For one, sliced hot dogs in place of pepperoni on a pizza just doesn't cut it. And, they use those cheap yellow cheese slices for the cheesy topping, and minimal to no garlicky red tomato sauce. I don't know what they put on for sauce, but it definitely doesn't taste like pizza I know. It's usually served with hot sauce (again, a Mexican flair) to slather all over the top. Even chocolate chip cookies from a bakery are waaaaay different.

I don't think Mexicans living in Mexico really like American food. Many of the same ingredients are used, but they are put together and spiced differently. No "American" food I have tried here tastes anything like the real deal. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Mexican food and have come to enjoy it immensely. I cannot say I miss the American foods I grew up with--but take my word for it, most attempts by cooks here to make American-style food misses the mark--99.9% of the time. I guess it's just like my American friends who think they can cook Mexican-style food---never once have I had an American cook a Mexican meal that was anywhere near authentic to the real deal here. It goes both ways.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,661,455 times
Having American food in Mexico is like having Mexican food in America. First of all, many of the most popular fast food chains can be found there, so that in itself means that American food (as much as you can call it food ) is in Mexico. In my experience, most of it actually taste the same.. McDonald's Mexico tastes like McDonald's USA and Pizza Hut Mexico tastes like Pizza Hut USA. There are subtle differences that might not seem so subtle to you.. the addition of chili powder or sliced pickled jalapenos. But my WA McD's just started offering them too...

You can find the non-fast food chains here too such as Bennigan's, Chili's, Rainforest Cafe are just three off the top of my mind, but I'm positive there are others.

Even the national chains such as Vips, Sanborns, California, Toks sell food that is as recognizably American as it is Mexican (chicken soup, club sandwiches, chop salad, pancakes and eggs, etc..).

I agree that baked goods aren't the same.... at all.... I usually go down with a huge craving for pan dulce and after one or two of them they all taste the same and I've had my fill for the entire trip. In fact this last time I went down (in September) I realized my homemade conchas are probably superior to the standardized, mass produced ones you find in the grocery store bakeries like Centro Commercial or Sumesa or even the stand-alone bakeries like El Globo or La Era. I've wondered how much it has to do with the altitude or the diversity of ingredients available. The only chocolate chip cookies I've had down there taste like mass produced crap.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
Eating food in Mexico will vary depending on the Class of people (No insult intended) as to what their pocketbook can afford. You go to the outskirts and will find a complete different range of food then say in the larger cities like MC or centro DF.

I did live in MC some yrs past and doubt it has changed much. The mention of VIP's, Sanbornes are here in TJ as I have eaten at them and they are NO different then in MC. I loved the Shrimp and Rice dishes.

If a person wanted to see some thing really good would be the main fish mkt where the tubs of Tuna etc come in from the fishing boats and also the Shrimp the size of chicken drum sticks. There was this one small mkt bldg. where there are several venders selling Fresh Fish, Vegetables, Meat, Spices, Food Tacos/Tortas etc and many other venders....almost like a weekend flea mkt with many choices who are open 7 days a week all under one roof....loved them all.

A large plate of Jumbo Shrimp to be dipped in Butter was less then what a person would pay in the US.

All night "Tacos de Carbon, Tortas" scattered around the city with cars out front like a Drive In with a guy taking your order as there were only a few stools to sit on if any at all since the place was the size of a small kitchen but the food they served was something else.

Burger Boy (Bobs Big Boy copy), Mc D are close to the US while KFC pieces are larger then the US and they have sm packets of Hot Green Peppers....like one person said with the Mexican side....need I go on?

Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

140 posts, read 267,069 times
KFC, McDonald's, BK's Domino's Pizza .... are everywhere

No Wendy's or Taco Time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico