Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
Average 15 26.32%
Good 23 40.35%
Bad 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 788 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Acapulco, and it's a bad place. Vacationing in Mexico does not give an accurate perspective of the country. There may be many places better than here to go. I have other family in a different part of Mexico, that is a world apart from where I live.
My opinion of here: It is a sadly unkept, and poorly controlled area. You could go to the beach and stay in a hotel on the coast, but that's not Acapulco. Even so, it's pretty unkept in the centro too. At least two of the beaches always seem to have garbage floating around, like toilet paper(I've seen it multiple times, and it was everywhere). But Acapulco is huge, there are several colonias here which are all part of Acapulco. It's hard for me to grasp how people could let this area become the way it is. I've lived close to Seattle, I've lived in California, and I lived in New Orleans for awhile, too. And, my work has brought me to a few other smaller countries as well.
For those who think the worse areas in the U.S. are worse than here, you have no idea what you are talking about. The crime that goes on here is ridiculous, and the government doesn't do much about it. They can't even seem to put garbage receptacles on the streets, which is an obvious necessity. There isn't a street I know of in my colonia that isn't littered with bags from aguas, feces, disposable plates/utensils, and juice bottles; not to mention many of them smell horrible to the amount that my wife and I frequently walk while holding our breaths.
People don't go out walking past 10 or 11 or so because it's unsafe, you will also see hardly any cars on the street(unless you are in the centro). When crimes happen, nothing seems to come of it, and most of the people don't trust the police here and believe that they are directly or indirectly involved with the criminals. Which, can easily be assumed to be accurate, given the lack of control. There are also criminals who appear to be(in police vehicles with uniforms and arms)or are police that I have heard of.
There is a general state of fear in the area, enough so that the people take great caution in speaking in public about things that are happening. Businesses regularly are extorted or shutdown. Refusal to be extorted always ends in deaths according to every account I've heard.
If you live here, you need to be prepared to be without water and power from time to time, as it cuts out randomly. At least the power usually doesn't stay off for too long. The water, however, can be out for weeks. I'm sure you could buy your way out of these issues though, none of the major businesses ever seem to have them.
Also, there's the traffic. Not many people here have licenses and do not follow traffic regulations. Some states and cities differ. For the same reason, there are constant accidents, though most of them are minor.
There are better places in Mexico, but they don't represent all of Mexico. Many people from here, believe that all of Mexico is bad. Anways, this is just my opinion and some of the things I've experienced.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Smile Thank you for your opinions and welcome to city-data.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico