Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 306,292 times

Advertisements

PLAYAS DE ROSARITO, Mexico -- Assaults on American tourists have brought hard times to hotels and restaurants that dot Mexican beaches just south of the border from San Diego.

Moderator cut: © 2008 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last edited by Marka; 01-08-2008 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
We got pulled over on our break by Mexican cops, they seemed pleased with their $20 and we went on with our lives. The problem is that tourists don't have the time to fight fines in a different country which can for the most part, are only a few dollars. In Mexico, if you are pulled over and a ticket is assigned your license is also taken in the process. People just don't want to deal with that. I went to three beaches, no problem with crime.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
More and more --- I think people should take the chances if they want to -- as long as they know what the problems are. If they get into trouble -- too bad.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvgs View Post
PLAYAS DE ROSARITO, Mexico
This would make an excellent entry at the TRAVEL FORUM, to alert people. I saw some reference to it, but was unable to paste it. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Marka; 01-08-2008 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: cut quote

Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
People get carjacked and raped or killed all the time in the US too. The flashing lights? Yeah.. that's bad. But it's only a matter of time before we see it happen here too. A few years ago, I remember reading something in the paper about men posing as police officers assaulting young women. At the time, I had just gotten my license and gotten orders from my parents to call the police if I was ever pulled over to make sure it was legit. You're not in a position to do that in Mexico but hey, it's not just Mexico.

I'm not trying to say Mexico doesn't have crime. It does. But generally, those targetted for crime are almost asking for it- pirated taxis, wearing every piece of jewlery they own, flaunting being an American, etc. Yes, the flashing lights on the highway is scary, but not something that's going to scare me out of going to Mexico any more than the man who recently kidnapped and murdered a girl off of my favorite trail in the Ga mountains is going to stop me from hiking.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
People get carjacked and raped or killed all the time in the US too. The flashing lights? Yeah.. that's bad. But it's only a matter of time before we see it happen here too. A few years ago, I remember reading something in the paper about men posing as police officers assaulting young women. At the time, I had just gotten my license and gotten orders from my parents to call the police if I was ever pulled over to make sure it was legit. You're not in a position to do that in Mexico but hey, it's not just Mexico.

I'm not trying to say Mexico doesn't have crime. It does. But generally, those targetted for crime are almost asking for it- pirated taxis, wearing every piece of jewlery they own, flaunting being an American, etc. Yes, the flashing lights on the highway is scary, but not something that's going to scare me out of going to Mexico any more than the man who recently kidnapped and murdered a girl off of my favorite trail in the Ga mountains is going to stop me from hiking.
WILL THE OVER 300 PEOPLE, mostly females, that have been kidnapped and killed in the border towns of Nuevo Laredo, and El Paso, Texas, in the past three years, and whose husbands, wives, and families are desperatedly trying to get justice through the Mexican/American authorities to find the sociopathic killer/s still at large, STOP you?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
WILL THE OVER 300 PEOPLE, mostly females, that have been kidnapped and killed in the border towns of Nuevo Laredo, and El Paso, Texas, in the past three years, and whose husbands, wives, and families are desperatedly trying to get justice through the Mexican/American authorities to find the sociopathic killer/s still at large, STOP you?
A lot of people don't really think what happened to them counts as crime because they were poor young women -- maquila worker types and so they figure they were asking for it.

The murder rate of young males in those border towns is actually far higher than that of females. I think it's commonly accepted that the males killed had to be gang types or involved in drug deals.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 PM

35 posts, read 148,454 times
Anyone who vacations within 50 miles of Tijuana is kind of crazy if you ask me, and I love Mexico..

Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
The American men looking for a quick score in the sex slave trade wouldn't be interested in me, so no, I'd go to Nuevo Laredo too.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The American men looking for a quick score in the sex slave trade wouldn't be interested in me, so no, I'd go to Nuevo Laredo too.

There is nothing to indicate those are American men killing those women. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico