Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,744 times

Advertisements

I've always been perplexed when Mexican tourists visit Los Angeles. Don't you find it similar to Mexico considering it's home to the second largest Mexican population in the world? I would figure that Mexican tourists would rather go to the Midwest or Eastcoast, but Los Angeles is a popular destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:05 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
D I S N E Y L A N D , cheap flights and shopping at outlet malls. The last two is why Texas cities are also popular. Not to mention, you can drive to LA from the border, so you can save on the cost of an international flight.

My cousins are well off and they have been to NYC, Chicago, Miami, LA, Canada, Europe. Outside those four major cities (and San Francisco), the rest of the US isnt within their interesting places to visit radar. As lame as it was, they really wanted to see Hollywood, Rodeo drive/beverly hills, Santa Monica pier, Disney etc. None of which you will find in Mexico. My aunt works in West LA at a high end boutique salon, and she has met many Mexican nationals (usually from Mexico City), just here to shop.shop shop. Mexican celebrities also come to LA often, and she has met quite a couple. Another aunt of mine is very close to groups like MANA, as they have second homes here and she hangs out with their wives. For many reasons, both the elite and middle class of Mexico feel really comfortable in LA. It is foreign, but not too foreign. (Kind of how Canada feels for most of us Americans)

Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
L.A is American and a top American city

Many Mexicans have family members in the u.s, its affordable. Since its close.

There are many Mexicans. Who visit NYC, Chicago etc. Its just more affordable for lower. Income Mexicans to visit LA then say NYC.

As for the Midwest, its not a popular. Destination. For anyone as the west coast and east coast

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setokaiba View Post
I would figure that Mexican tourists would rather go to the Midwest or Eastcoast, but Los Angeles is a popular destination.
Yes, because Milwaukee, Detroit, and Cleveland are such great places to visit compared to LA.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Mexicans go where family members live. If a Mexican had most of his family move to Kentucky they still might go see Disneyland once, but they would spend most of their US vacation time in Kentucky. Since most Mexicans have at least some family who lives near LA, it gets the most visitation. I don't think non-Mexicans/Latin Americans truly understand how strong this dynamic is.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Quote:
I've always been perplexed when Mexican tourists visit Los Angeles. Don't you find it similar to Mexico considering it's home to the second largest Mexican population in the world? I would figure that Mexican tourists would rather go to the Midwest or Eastcoast, but Los Angeles is a popular destination.

I don´t understand the question.

Mexicans also travel in Mexico, top destinations for mexican people are cities of Mexico like Cancun, Acapulco, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, etc. I don´t see the problem here.

If LA is similar to Mexico, then is an advantage for mexican tourist.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to LA?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
I've always been perplexed when Mexican tourists visit Los Angeles. Don't you find it similar to Mexico considering it's home to the second largest Mexican population in the world?
Let's think about what you are saying. While the statement that LA is the second largest Mexican city in the world is repeated often, is it really true? Census statements say:

51.5% Not Latino 1,953,799
31.9% Mexican 1,209,573
16.6% Other Latino 629,249

Guadalajara is now 1,495,189 people in a metro area of 4,424,252. To a Mexican tourist LA is not going to feel like Guadalajara.

Tijuana has a population of 1,300,983 in a metro area of 1,751,351. But even if TJ recently passed the Mexican population in LA, it would still feel very different than LA.

The other thing is that while Mexico and USA now have very similar total fertility rates, the Mexican population is still a decade younger. That means that they are much more likely to have minor children. that means family vacations at one of the most popular tourist spots in the USA (either Disney Park).

Exotic vacation destinations are more comfortable for single hipsters, not families. Besides if you look at the favorite destinations of White Americans, you will find they strongly favor places where English is commonly spoken. Britain is by far the most popular place in Europe to visit.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Back in 2003 or 2004 we webt to Disneyworld in Orlando and as we were leaving Epcot we saw this guy with two gorgeous women leaving the place too.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...er-300px--.jpg

Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 PM

65 posts, read 326,481 times
It is basically for the attractions the city has to offer, I spent 2 weeks there in 2014 with my brother, my sister and her husband, we have no family in the city, but we just like to travel and the city has a lot to see, besides, we are always fed with amazing images of the city and all its attractions by the media, Disneyland was my major interest (yes, I know I am too old for that, but hey, it was my dream since I was a child, lol), and it was an amazing jouney, and Oh my God, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Now we are planning on going to NYC, after that I'd like to go to Vegas and the Miami, and....... the list goes on. Since my siblings and I speak fluent English we had no problem moving aroud when there were no Spanish speakers around, and NO, theres is no way LA can feel like any Mexican city, even with all the millions of latinos living there.

I have a special memory when we were walking somewhere near the griffith observatory my brother asked me how I felt about the city, my answer was: Even though it is totally different from Mexico, I don't feel out of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico