Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times

Advertisements

I am beyond frustrated right now. Can someone please confirm whether I am correct or incorrect?

I booked a flight from NJ (USA) to Cancun in May. My original itinerary said this:

Flight time: Approx. 4 hrs. 9 min.

Depart EWR: 10:44 am Arrive CUN: 1:54

This made sense at the time of booking (January) since Cancun was on CST and NJ on EST at the time. So Cancun is 1 hr. behind EST.

I received an update from my airline last week. Now the itinerary says this:

Flight time: Approx. 5 hrs. 10 min.

Depart EWR: 10:44 am Arrive CUN: 2:54 pm

So I'm leaving at the same time and it's taking an hour longer? Never would it take over 5 hrs. to get from NJ to Cancun. Then I read about the fact that as of Feb. 1st, Quintana Roo was switching to EST. Ok, so this makes sense for the 4 hrs. and 9 min. thing. But not the 5 hrs. 10 min. thing. Then I read that even though they are changing from CST to EST as of Feb., they will not be observing daylight savings time.

That said, shouldn't my reservation revert to the original time with my arrival in Cancun at 1:54 pm (local time)? It's kind of hard to book ground transportation, when you are not sure what hour you are arriving. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
System error, it's probably just not handling the change well. But as you can do the math if both are on the same time your departure and arrival indicate it's still a 4 hour flight. Arrange for a pickup based on the new arrival time since that is the local time now.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
May isn't a good time to go to Cancun. The heat is very intense that time of year. Cancun is best as a winter escape for North Americans. Oct.-February it's sunny and in the 70's, getting into the 80's by Feb.

But, I guess you know what you're doing, OP.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Nothing complicated.

You are leaving from point A (your local time) and arriving at point B (their local time)....which means your watch will have to be changed by ONE HR..

That happens to me every time I go From LA to Mexico City.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
The first one wasn't calculated correctly. It should've been 4 hours and 10 minutes. The second one is right, not sure why it would change though. Look at other flights from EWR to Cancun and see if the times are closer to 5 hours and 10 minutes or 4 hours and 10 minutes.

I flew from Chicago to Cancun before and it took around 3-3 and a half hours.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
May isn't a good time to go to Cancun. The heat is very intense that time of year. Cancun is best as a winter escape for North Americans. Oct.-February it's sunny and in the 70's, getting into the 80's by Feb.

Nice of you to say it after the OP booked a flight

Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Nice of you to say it after the OP booked a flight
Well, obviously, if he booked a flight for May, he must have researched the climate at that time of year, and felt he could handle it. It's not a choice I would have made, but there's no accounting for people's preferences.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Well, obviously, if he booked a flight for May, he must have researched the climate at that time of year, and felt he could handle it. It's not a choice I would have made, but there's no accounting for people's preferences.
In accordance with our work schedules, the choices for us to go on vacation were either early May or early August. I think you would agree that the May choice was best in this case.

We've been to Jamaica and DR in early May as well and survived.

Thank you everyone for the responses regarding the time difference. I would assume that the airline will realize their error at some point.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
In accordance with our work schedules, the choices for us to go on vacation were either early May or early August. I think you would agree that the May choice was best in this case.

We've been to Jamaica and DR in early May as well and survived.

Thank you everyone for the responses regarding the time difference. I would assume that the airline will realize their error at some point.
I've been to Cancun in June and Cabo in June you will be fine

Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:

And that has what to do with o/p question on time difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico