Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Laredo was founded in 1755 years before the war. Nuevo Laredo was founded in 1848 for people that reject to be part of Texas...

Reynosa (1749) Matamoros (1749) Ciudad Juarez (1659) also were founded years before the war with Texas.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuevo_Laredo
That Is true, but thhy were founded as catholic mission, and not ss civilized settlements representing political trrritorality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:13 PM

62 posts, read 71,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I have lived in Del Rio since 2011 and it has been by far the worst place I've lived in since I moved to the States in 1998...
I know this post is almost 9-months-old but I'm going to object here. I just lived in Del Rio for three months. It's not the worst place in the world. I thought it was going to be horrible but it wasn't. I lived in a comfortable neighborhood off of Veterans Blvd. I lived near Buena Vista Park. I took walks on most days. It was a safe neighborhood. Some homes were luxurious. People were friendly and the community was family-oriented.

It has some retail: JCP, Rack Room Shoes, Ross, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, HEB. It also has some restaurants: Chili's, Rudy's, Don Marcileno's (authentic Mexican), Applebee's, and all the fast food joints you want.

Pros: pleasant people; little traffic; safe communities; easy access to Acuna, Mexico; Hispanic culture (if you like it and I do); warm weather year round; palm trees; Lake Amistad.

Cons: no good gym. Edge Fitness is a ripoff and it's not that nice. Planet Fitness is half the cost and is 2x better; almost hours from the nearest international airport. San Antonio is the nearest large city; it lacks some retail, including Men's Wearhouse, Kohl's, Whole Foods, Target; poverty. There are plenty of poor people here.

If Del Rio were 45 minutes from San Antonio, I would live there. But it's three hours away. It's a very remote city. Otherwise, it's a pleasant place to live.

Uvalde? Now that's a different story.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post

Why? Please tell us...

Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos15 View Post
They are dominated by latinos. Nearly everyone on the border of mexico is mexican. Spanish is spoken all the time instead of english. Many people in those areas don't even know how to speak english. Its become so bad that schools only teach in spanish instead of english. Kids only watch mexican tv instead of american tv. Within another 50 years, the border with mexico will go north at least 150 miles. San Antonio will be considered a border town. Its only a matter of time
Your generalization in very untrue. Border towns vary greatly. San Diego is generally considered a border town, and is a vibrant, diverse metro. I lived in El Paso, TX for three years and it was by far my favorite place I have ever lived (I have lived in Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, and Eastern PA) Spanish fluency is only required for a fraction of jobs in San Diego. Spanish is more common is El Paso, however, it is not necessary. There are plenty of jobs in El Paso that don't require Spanish, you just have to look for them. The net migration from Mexico was actually negative last year, which means more people moved back to Mexico than came here. So if that trend continues, you can expect to hear more English in border towns.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:13 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Apparently some here have never visited the San Diego area by calling it a border town......a huge city would be more correct.

San Ysidro is at the border itself and most people other then those who cross from TJ to shop English would be the main language spoken. The cashiers at the chain store (now closed?) were Hispanics so both could be spoke which has been my experience after 19 yrs here in Rosarito.

Legal Hispanic employees in stores and some who cross legally to work in San Ysidro or SD are common I found via the Mexico car plates at some businesses......anyway no big deal just my opinion.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
I know this post is almost 9-months-old but I'm going to object here. I just lived in Del Rio for three months. It's not the worst place in the world. I thought it was going to be horrible but it wasn't. I lived in a comfortable neighborhood off of Veterans Blvd. I lived near Buena Vista Park. I took walks on most days. It was a safe neighborhood. Some homes were luxurious. People were friendly and the community was family-oriented.

It has some retail: JCP, Rack Room Shoes, Ross, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, HEB. It also has some restaurants: Chili's, Rudy's, Don Marcileno's (authentic Mexican), Applebee's, and all the fast food joints you want.

Pros: pleasant people; little traffic; safe communities; easy access to Acuna, Mexico; Hispanic culture (if you like it and I do); warm weather year round; palm trees; Lake Amistad.

Cons: no good gym. Edge Fitness is a ripoff and it's not that nice. Planet Fitness is half the cost and is 2x better; almost hours from the nearest international airport. San Antonio is the nearest large city; it lacks some retail, including Men's Wearhouse, Kohl's, Whole Foods, Target; poverty. There are plenty of poor people here.

**If Del Rio were 45 minutes from San Antonio, I would live there. But it's three hours away. It's a very remote city. Otherwise, it's a pleasant place to live.

**You mean, other than the shooting, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

You didn't object to my post, you literally made my point for me. You saying you'd live in Del Rio if it was located in Hondo says NOTHING different than what I said. Newsflash, the reason Del Rio is terrible to live in, is painfully circumscribed around the idea it's one hundred and fifty miles from civilization in the first place, connected by a dangerous unlit undivided crappy road to boot. Again, thank you for making my point for me in only 3 months. If the base was in Uvalde, you'd never have seen my original post, for our entire gripe would disappear.

But people couldn't have that, so instead they went on a tangent and adjudicated my objections for some sort of Mexican-bashing. I economically support as little of the local economy as I have to; otherwise I just drive to and from work, serve my Country, take care of my family and otherwise mind my own business IRL. But I'll call a spade a spade. Their own white-hatred displayed publicly under the incorrect assumption everybody who looks white isn't bilingual (wrong assumption to make btw) is very passive aggressive here in Del Rio, not to mention there are tons of self-hating Mexican-American hybrids who struggle daily with their cultural identity here vice their peers who cross the Acuña bridge every morning and afternoon. My wife was the recipient of employment racism at the clinic (only white scribe in a floor full of mexicans/mexamericans). Wrongfully terminated over racial lines; will never be able to prove it. Not worth pursuing as it was an 8/hr job. Job she won't need once she gets her RN and we move to Houston or SA.

Anti-assimilation abounds here; treasonous erosion of our immigrant history and values as far as I'm concerned. Effing Syrians display a larger proclivity to assimilate than these Mexicans, but I digress. Again, not MY dynamic; I'm just some guy doing a job on an Air Force base that got planted here to subsidize that socioeconomic strife I have nothing to do with. I don't get to cherry pick the people I serve. You see, the soccer mom in Katy doesn't get taken to task about her feelings on this topic, but the guy stuck in Del Rio for the military saying the same thing everybody in Houston is thinking is all of a sudden blasphemy? Please, spare me the labored indignation.

Our plan is to relocate as soon as she's done with nursing circa may 2018. I'll probably flow into airline work at that point and revert to part-time status on the military side. In either case we'll never put the kiddo in school here. He'll only be turning 5 by then so we are fine on that front. We'll be fine.

I still stand by my opinion: I wouldn't wish the border on anyone I cared for and it has been the worst place I've lived CONUS in since I relocated to the states in 1998. We love our version of Texas though (defined by anything inside the polygon formed by San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Texarkana and Houston) and do plan on settling on a city within that portion of the state as our long term life plan. Buck' the border!

Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Apparently some here have never visited the San Diego area by calling it a border town......a huge city would be more correct.

San Ysidro is at the border itself and most people other then those who cross from TJ to shop English would be the main language spoken. The cashiers at the chain store (now closed?) were Hispanics so both could be spoke which has been my experience after 19 yrs here in Rosarito.

Legal Hispanic employees in stores and some who cross legally to work in San Ysidro or SD are common I found via the Mexico car plates at some businesses......anyway no big deal just my opinion.
I don't know why people assume all border areas are the same. It is close to 2000 miles of distance and different sub- cultures, cities and towns exist across this expanse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico