Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:48 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

I need some advice...

I used points with United to book a week in San Miguel de Allende starting 9/5. I can't go for a week now because of a work trip that's come up. My dilemma is if I should try to still go for a weekend or not (sat, sun, returning Monday). If I don't go at all I eat $250 to get all my points back to use at another time.

Or I could go for a weekend, but I'd eat $200 for a flight back home because my points will only get me part of the way back on the return flight now since there are no non stop flights available now back home from mexico to chicago.

My question is, would 2 days be worth it in either of these cities? I'm trying to decide if I should go for two days or get my points back to use at another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 AM

140 posts, read 267,238 times
You have a bit of travel time if flying to Mexico City

Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmex View Post
You have a bit of travel time if flying to Mexico City
What? I'm flying from Chicago to Guanajato.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
I think so. How long is your flight and how many layovers do you have? Wilk you eat up alot of your time traveling? Will you have 2 Full days there?

I would only suggest you go if you have a full weekend at one if these cities.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
I can't really answer if it's worth it or not to get the points back, but I think I'd choose Guanajuato over San Miguel if you do go. Both are lovely but I really fell in love with GTO.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I can't really answer if it's worth it or not to get the points back, but I think I'd choose Guanajuato over San Miguel if you do go. Both are lovely but I really fell in love with GTO.
So you've been to both? What made you fall in love with Guanajato?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think so. How long is your flight and how many layovers do you have? Wilk you eat up alot of your time traveling? Will you have 2 Full days there?

I would only suggest you go if you have a full weekend at one if these cities.
Flight going is nonstop (close to 4 hours?). Will arrive in Guanajuato about 9:30 am sat morning.

Flight returning will leave Guanajato around 3:30 pm Monday afternoon with 2 stops going back home to chicago. Both layovers are 1 hour each. So I'd have about 2.5 days there. Flight back will suck because I won't make it home til about 1:30 am and have to work the next day but who cares if you're going to Mexico right..?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So you've been to both? What made you fall in love with Guanajato?
Been to both. GTO has some of the prettiest views I've seen and I think had more to do if you were coming for the first time. I stayed at Hotel Socavon which was really quaint and wonderful and within walking distance of centro. I very much enjoyed the views I got after hiking up to monumento al pipila, the mummy museum (a must-visit along with a nearby cemetery I found while walking to the museo from centro), seeing the inside of the juarez theatre, and meandering through narrow alleys.

If one was moving to the area, San Miguel might be the better long-term destination. I could say wonderful things about it too but I think on my first visit, GTO blew me away as a "Wow, I can't believe this is here." type of reaction.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:35 AM

I just read it's rainy season and most days I plan to be there, chance of rain is 30/40%. Anyone know if it tends to rain all day when it rains there?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Been to both. GTO has some of the prettiest views I've seen and I think had more to do if you were coming for the first time. I stayed at Hotel Socavon which was really quaint and wonderful and within walking distance of centro. I very much enjoyed the views I got after hiking up to monumento al pipila, the mummy museum (a must-visit along with a nearby cemetery I found while walking to the museo from centro), seeing the inside of the juarez theatre, and meandering through narrow alleys.

If one was moving to the area, San Miguel might be the better long-term destination. I could say wonderful things about it too but I think on my first visit, GTO blew me away as a "Wow, I can't believe this is here." type of reaction.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing. Makes the decision harder, as of I stay in Guanajato I won't have to eat up 3 hours of travel to/from San Miguel de Allende. How did you like the food in Guanajuato?

If I went there, any must sees or dos besides what you mentioned? I'd have to keep it short as I want time to just sit around and people watch a little bit too. So far if I chose there, I have the Basilica, theatre and monumento al Pipila on the list. Will also throw in a museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico