Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 19,049 times

Advertisements

Hi there;

I am 55 and looking to move to an affordable warmer climate. I live on Social Security. I also live alone. Can anyone recommend an area where I might be able to live comfortably on a low income in the US ... probably about $1,500 a month. Also is it expensive to take my car to Mexico? Also what is an F3 or something needed to work part time in Mexico? Thanks ... Wooglett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglett View Post
Hi there;

I am 55 and looking to move to an affordable warmer climate. I live on Social Security. I also live alone. Can anyone recommend an area where I might be able to live comfortably on a low income in the US ... probably about $1,500 a month. Also is it expensive to take my car to Mexico? Also what is an F3 or something needed to work part time in Mexico? Thanks ... Wooglett
You sound like a person who would qualify for a retiree visa, you should need to contact your nearest mexican consulate and ask them and would you need to tramit that visa.

I believe that is not expensive or hard to take your car to Mexico, but you should find out at the consulate first amigo

If you are looking to work part time the situation is different though, you would need to tramit another kind of visa for that, with those 1,500 a month you earn you could have a decent life with that pension, the question is, where in Mexico would you like to live? near a beach? in a small town? big city? please let me know so I can help you further.

regards

Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Moving to Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
the question is, where in Mexico would you like to live? near a beach? in a small town? big city? please let me know so I can help you further.regards
Thanks, that is more than I knew already. I want live a drivable distance from San Diego ... 2-4 hours I would guess. A friend (lady) and I are thinking of moving together as each of us lives on Social Security and she has two sons and a grandchild in San Diego.

My requirements are reasonable temperatures ... I have had it with snow and ice. I want a place that is not broiling in the summer but still reasonably warm in the winter. I prefer cities as to tiny villages but it does not have to be a large city.

Somwhere that I could get a decent internet connection. Also is it difficult to bring pets to Mexico? I have two small dogs.

Thanks so much for any information you can share ... Colleen (wooglett)

Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM

291 posts, read 648,195 times
$1,500 per month is a good income for only 1 person, your friend with 3 kids is difficult to mantain a good quality of life, with $1,500 per month without working.

Regards...

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Thanks, that is more than I knew already. I want live a drivable distance from San Diego ... 2-4 hours I would guess. A friend (lady) and I are thinking of moving together as each of us lives on Social Security and she has two sons and a grandchild in San Diego.

My requirements are reasonable temperatures ... I have had it with snow and ice. I want a place that is not broiling in the summer but still reasonably warm in the winter. I prefer cities as to tiny villages but it does not have to be a large city.

Somwhere that I could get a decent internet connection. Also is it difficult to bring pets to Mexico? I have two small dogs.

Thanks so much for any information you can share ... Colleen (wooglett)
Maybe rosarito would be good for you, but I don't know about the living costs there so you'd have to find out, there is excellent internet access in Mexico so that shouldn't be a problem.

To bring pets to the country to need to vaccine them, and the vet has to fill out a letter stating that they are disease free, I brought 2 cats from Brazil once this way.

Hope this helps friend and good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Rosarito and south maybe to Ensenada at the most. I am in Puerto Nuevo, 29 miles so of border, 10 miles so of Rosarito. It takes me anywhere from 35-50 min to get to the border, depending on time of day. Believe Vons mkt owns a chain down here as I see the 18 wheelers go by with the name on the trailer. 98% of the meat here is USA BEEF. I buy my grocerys in Chuls Vista or San Ysidro. It would very convenient for both of you. A mexican phone about 25-30 Dlls average per month. Cell phone would cost 40-50 Dlls to buy and a 20 Dllr card is good for 2 months and as long as you activate another card within 30 days after the 2 months, you do not loose any balance. Don't use my cell that much and have over 100 Dlls crdit to use any time I wish. In addition, I have a Nextell phone for the US side of the border when I cross to call my children if the need may be. Thier are many Americans living this area and some cross to work every day. Check the area out. Make sure you have a US Passport to get back across. Stefhen

Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Misunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
$1,500 per month is a good income for only 1 person, your friend with 3 kids is difficult to mantain a good quality of life, with $1,500 per month without working.Regards...
I think you misunderstood what I meant. My friends children (grown adults) live and work in San Diego. They would not be moving with us. Also my friend has her own income separate from mine. My income alone is around $1,500 hers is slightly higher. Thanks for the help ... Colleen

Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 AM

334 posts, read 827,824 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I meant. My friends children (grown adults) live and work in San Diego. They would not be moving with us. Also my friend has her own income separate from mine. My income alone is around $1,500 hers is slightly higher. Thanks for the help ... Colleen
You might question what Steve wrote to you, or maybe he's just very out of touch. You do not need a passport to re enter the US, yet. Just a birth certificate and photo ID (driver's license, military, etc.) will "zip" you across.

Yep, you CAN get to the border in half an hour from this area, but then you will have a wait in line to get through. This can range from 1/2 hour to more than 3 hours depending on day, time of day, holidays. Rarely, you CAN get across in 10 to 15 minutes, but never count on it / you're retired, so what's the hurry anyway.

Rent can run from $200 per month to well over $1,000 depending on what you like. My total cost per month to live here is $820, not including going out money and extra expenses, such as doctor, medicine, car repairs, etc.

Come down, stay a few days and look around. Perfectly safe and you'll love it!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
NO I am not out of touch. I lived 3 yrs in Mexico City and am here in Baja 12 yrs. Have driven all over Mexico and know what it is to be stopped and questioned by the Mexican DEA. Had a Mexican wife who was a senior executive in a large Govmt owned company and this opened doors for me. Also had attorney friends,judge and also new a Govmt official. But, this is an exception to the rule. A birth certificate (original) is hard to replace. Better to get a Passport as it is good for 10 yrs. I lost mine at the airport in Mexico City and had to visit the Embassy to get a letter of identification from the Embassy to leave the city at a later date. Without proper ID, you are in BIG DODO. Anway, there is a condo for lease above me in my subdivision and there are some rentals in Primo Tapia that are owned by Americans. The ladies need to visit Campo Reynoso (no ad intended) just to check the availability. Most of the people are Americans in the Campo. The ladies would be more secure in a gated area then say at a cheaper house in Rosarito. Have seen many Americans there and a few houses for RENT. I checked with a friend here before buying 2 lots and building my house. Wish them well. Stefhen

Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,081 times
I live in Puerto Penasco Sonora, Mexico and I am a 6'2 white male. Not bad looking. And never had to sleep alone unless i wanted to. I have lived here for over two and a half years and I have never been so single in my life... What's up with that? Listen, when you hear the saying that "Mexican women love Gringos" You tell them only in country songs and movies. Because Vegas said it. Must be true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico