Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

Hello foreros,

I am considering taking a job in McAllen, Texas which would be three days in a row per week. I am thinking that I would like to live in Monterrey, so I would have to do the commute twice per week (one time to get up to McAllen, then once to get back to Monterrey).

Google Maps shows the best route as the Autopista Reynosa-Monterrey, which is 40D.

Can anyone tell me from their experiences or knowledge how feasible would this be, and most importantly, how dangerous is the travelling? I have read some horrible things but a lot of it is dated. I would be in a car by myself during the travelling.

Thank you for reading and for the advice!!

Best,

Matt

P.S. Related question. What about this same route at night? Thanks!

Last edited by mrd2689a; 05-23-2016 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Add question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
where are you from originally? are you a Spanish speaker?

I recently road tripped from san Antonio to torreon. I took the highway route from Laredo through monterrey and imagine the highway youd take from monterrey to Reynosa to be similar. me and my family drove this route during the day and also at night around 10ish.

traveling this area via highway is a honestly a piece of cake if you know how to get around. that's no issue. its more of a concern living in monterrey. that's something I prob wouldn't recommend unless youre a Spanish speaker, find a nice area to live, etc. even then, youre at higher risk in terms of safety than if you lived in McAllen.

theres a sentri pass one can get to get through the border crossing much quicker. that's something to get if you were to do this.

feel free to pm me. I don't live in mexico or fluent per se, but know this route decently enough. ive asked similar questons on the mexico forum but only get a small handful or replies from posters that know this area.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 AM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
where are you from originally? are you a Spanish speaker?

I recently road tripped from san Antonio to torreon. I took the highway route from Laredo through monterrey and imagine the highway youd take from monterrey to Reynosa to be similar. me and my family drove this route during the day and also at night around 10ish.

traveling this area via highway is a honestly a piece of cake if you know how to get around. that's no issue. its more of a concern living in monterrey. that's something I prob wouldn't recommend unless youre a Spanish speaker, find a nice area to live, etc. even then, youre at higher risk in terms of safety than if you lived in McAllen.

theres a sentri pass one can get to get through the border crossing much quicker. that's something to get if you were to do this.

feel free to pm me. I don't live in mexico or fluent per se, but know this route decently enough. ive asked similar questons on the mexico forum but only get a small handful or replies from posters that know this area.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd2689a View Post
Hello foreros,

I am considering taking a job in McAllen, Texas which would be three days in a row per week. I am thinking that I would like to live in Monterrey, so I would have to do the commute twice per week (one time to get up to McAllen, then once to get back to Monterrey).
Hello, I am from Monterrey. For me it makes no sense to do that. You can visit Monterrey times as you want but live in a city 3 hours away is not very practical, although it is possible, some people live in Monterrey and works in Reynosa and returns with his family at the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd2689a View Post
Google Maps shows the best route as the Autopista Reynosa-Monterrey, which is 40D.

Can anyone tell me from their experiences or knowledge how feasible would this be, and most importantly, how dangerous is the travelling? I have read some horrible things but a lot of it is dated. I would be in a car by myself during the travelling.
Yes, 40D is the quickest route to Monterrey, although there is another route that involves less time in Mexican road.

You should go to Roma TX from McAllen and then go through Cd. Mier - Cerralvo way to get to Monterrey. The advantage is that it is a free and fast road.

On the road you will not have problems, it is always advisable to travel during the day. The 40D is full of frequent buyers traveling from Monterrey to McAllen almost every weekend. The problem is in Reynosa where often there is some risk.

My advice is to live in the McAllen - Mission - Harlingen area and occasionally travel to Monterrey to enjoy the city as a tourist.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
i agree with the poster above me. mcallen is a nice place to live. not so much interesting or exciting, but nice nonetheless.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
The highway driving on 40D is not the problem. The real problem is driving in the cities on either end, and living in Monterrey. Why do you want to live there, for the scenery, culture, or the cost of living? Where would you be living the three days you're working in McAllen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico