Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to any? If so which ones? What is your favorite site and why?

There are so many sites I would love to visit but at the top of my list are "El tajin" in Veracruz, "Monte Alban" in Oaxaca and of course Teotihuacan. There are so many other beautiful sites though, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:22 PM

55 posts, read 102,156 times
I've gone to Teotihuacan twice since I frequent Mexico city. And honestly it's a shame that is not so well known in the U.S. Every person living on the continent should pay it a visit the way europeans pay their respects to ancient Greece and Rome.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:24 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
I've been to Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Tulum, Palenque, El Tajin, and Coba. I regretfully missed Uxmal in Yucatan, Bonampak and Yaxchilán in Chiapas.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza, both are awesome!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Have you ever been to any? If so which ones? What is your favorite site and why?

There are so many sites I would love to visit but at the top of my list are "El tajin" in Veracruz, "Monte Alban" in Oaxaca and of course Teotihuacan. There are so many other beautiful sites though, I wouldn't know where to begin.
I've had the great fortune of visiting many over the years. My favorites, in order, are:
1. Uxmal
2. Ruta Puuc--especially Sayil and Labná
3.Mitla
4. Palenque
5.El Tajín
6. Teotihuacán
7. Chichen Itzá
8. Malinalco

--others I can't recall,

15. Tulum (Overrated, except for the dramatic location).

I love Monte Albán too, but I can't really 'categorize' it since I used to bike nearby so often that it became a more personal connection. The stray dogs of Monte Albán loved to chase me and my cyclist pals, so the trick was to make sure you weren't at the end of the line!

Old 06-17-2016, 12:08 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
El Tajin would be a good one, and isn't on most people's basic list. Cholula is even larger than Teotihuacan, so you might consider that, instead of Teotihuacan. I've been mostly to the Mayan ones on the Yucatan and Chiapas. Palenque is a good place to start. From there, or from San Cristobal de Las Casas in Chiapas (a very quaint and scenic colonial town that's highly recommended) you can take a small charter plane to Bonampak, which has very well-preserved and restored murals on the 4 walls and ceilings of the Classic-era temples. Those are the sites that stand out to me; IMO they're especially beautiful because they're in the lush jungle, compared to many of the sites in the Yucatan, which are on more arid terrain or on the coast. That charter bush plane can take you to other sites in the general area of Bonampak for not much extra cost. I wouldn't try to visit that area by bus; the roads are too likely to get bogged down in mud, and hiring a plane doesn't cost much.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
15. Tulum (Overrated, except for the dramatic location).
I agree, the archeological part of it is not that impressive. I did visit in the 80's and there was much more access to the buildings than when I went in 2010. The beach however is AWESOME. Have you been?

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I agree, the archeological part of it is not that impressive. I did visit in the 80's and there was much more access to the buildings than when I went in 2010. The beach however is AWESOME. Have you been?
And near Tulum is Xelha, which is pretty cool for being able to look down at openings in the limestone ground you walk on, and seeing schools of tropical fish swim around almost literally underfoot. I don't know to what extent those sites have been developed or possibly over-developed since the old days, when relatively few people visited them. I remember when Playa del Carmen was a sleepy little village; not even that, but a tiny beach attraction with a few thatch-roofed huts and a local hotel with huge rooms for $5/night w/private bath. I wouldn't want to go there today.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yeah, we couldn't deny ourselves the pleasure of jumping in and swimming there. That was a wonderful part of the experience--floating in the waves and looking at seaside ruins. Hypnotic really.

Too bad the development seems out of control down that way. We found very startling deterioration of reefs, a lot more garbage on the beaches, and way more tourism on our last visit in December than just 5 years prior. The sargasso was horrible too--mountains of it.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I have actually visited a couple of small sites in Chiapas, none of the big ones though. I have visited several sites in Guatemala, but unfortunately in Guatemala they haven't been able to restore a lot of their sites like they have in Mexico. I don't know if this is because a lack of resources or a lack of interest. I think its probably both unfortunately.

Teotihuacan is at the top of my list. It is a very important city in Mesoamerican history. I hope to make it there one day. Cholula is another one I really want to see.

Uxmal is a city I would really love to visit, along with the other Puuc sites. These sites have very nice architecture.

There are literally dozens and dozens of sites in Mexico. I am Impressed by the amount of sites on the gulf coast region. I mean every where really, it would to take a life time to see them all.

Thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico