Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,459,859 times

Advertisements

So here's my question, and I haven't found a definite answer:

If Northern Mexico and Mexico City are so well off, does that mean that most immigrants to the U.S are from Southern Mexico? I would assume so, but I don't like to simply assume stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,863,755 times
Take a good look at the Map of Mexico. You can see large citys and small towns scattered thruout the country. Mexico City has an estimated population of 23 million. When I lived there 20 yrs ago it was 20 million. The city consists of many small citys surounding its perimeter such as you would look at Los Angeles the same way. The center is DF (Federal District) (like DC in Washington). Surrounding this is City of Mexico and the smaller communities for the large population. MFG plants and other companys are the draw for many who seek employment, unfortunately many are from small locals with no major education to speak of. If you were to talk to those Illegals in the US, you would get a wide area of small towns they are from that has no Industry. Sure, there are small businesses and maybe light MFG but not on a large scale and due to the large number of individuals seeking , many are out of work. These are the ones in US doing restaurant/landscaping/construction cause they cannot speak English and have no experinced work skills. You would just about have to visit/live amongst the masses to fully comprehend the Mexican way of life and its complexitys. Stefhen

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 9,995 times
In general, migrants follow established north south routes. California's Mexican-Americans tend to have roots in Jalisco, Michoacan, Guerrero, and other Pacific Coast states. Where I live, around El Paso and New Mexico, places like Chihuahua, Durango, Zacatecas are sources of immigrants. Over in eastern Texas, the Gulf Region of Mexico is the main source.

As a result, you hear differences in language, and even have differences in Mexican food.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,505,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
So here's my question, and I haven't found a definite answer:

If Northern Mexico and Mexico City are so well off, does that mean that most immigrants to the U.S are from Southern Mexico? I would assume so, but I don't like to simply assume stuff.

I think it depends on the part of the USA. On the border it might be mostly Mexicans from the northern states, with pockets of those from Durango and Zacatecas.

In areas further north, that might change so that most come from southern areas of Mexico.

In this part of the country I'm in, Mexicans outnumber Americans, most are from Chihuahua but very few from Mexico City. Someone living in Mexico City doesn't necessarily have more contact with people from Zacatecas or Durango than do Americans. Here we may deal on a daily basis with people from those areas of Mexico and it's their culture we see as Mexican.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,505,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Malamute I'm sorry bro, but you don't know anything about Mexico at all, the more you speak about "mexico" the easier is to know that you should do more research

Imagine that you were to an ashram full of Swamis and wise monks and you wanted to discuss Phillosophies from India with them, but that your only knowledge from them comes from osho, that's the impression you are leaving man.
Where I live it's 90% hispanic, mostly from Mexico. You could actually live in a neighborhood that's more European than do I. I have next door neighbors from Durango, Zacatecas, Chihuahua. None from Mexico City however but there are some from Mexico City where I work. Somewhere between one-fifth and one-tenth of Mexico is now in the USA -- so many of us see a whole lot about Mexico right here without ever leaving home.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,032,426 times
Travelling fella, you are right about the different regions...very cool.

Don't we love our chilangos? Yeah, they do have a bad reputation all over the country. It is a general statement and not all chilangos fit the descriptions you all have mentioned. Some of the other things that I have heard is that they feel much more cultured and sophisticated, their vocabulary is much more ample which makes them feel suprior, and it has also been said to not trust a chilango when making business because they will steal from you or short change you..."esos de Tepito" LOL.

In short, chilangos are very friendly people and the stereotype does not fit all.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,863,755 times
While living in Mexico City, I was a Gringo Chilango but never cheated or stole from anyone. I was respected and referred too as Maestro due to my education and knowledge as a whole. Stefhen

Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,413,099 times
Chilangolandia aka Mexico city rocks LOL.

Salvador Dali once said it is the most surrealistic city in the world

Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,006 times
Chilangos

First, lets start by defining the word and talking about where it started and came from.
Chilango- A word that started on Mexico's city in the early 60's that didn't have to do anything with the resident's of that city. This word was mainly used in that time to described people who came from the outside of the city, the word was mainly used by cab drivers due to the reason that when people from outside the city came to the drivers and asked them for a ride to a certain place. Whenever this people came and asked them for a ride, drivers use to say all the time "Ay biene un chilango"(there come's a chilango). Chi- meant/means, CHINCHUDO(PEOPLE WHO HAD LICE). Lango- Comes from a long place(foreign place). However this word was never meant to be used againts the people who lived in the capital, it was meant to be used for people who had come from a ranch or pueblo, who were ignorant and dirty people (No offense). After a while people started calling people from the capital a chilango due to that the word was very popular among the capital people. ANYWAY people from the North hates us (city people) because they had and still think that we are better than them, they dnt like the idea of us being more open minded and more intelenctual. People who lives in the U.S dnt really care but people who lives inside the country due and those are the main reason of why they dnt like us. Well that's all I kno of why they dont like us.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 15,112 times
their are three main regions, the sparsely populated north who tend to be whiter, the colonial states in the center who also are whiter, mexico city and around which is just diverse and huge, and the indigenous south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico