Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best one to visit?
Guadalajara 7 36.84%
Monterrey 5 26.32%
Puebla 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Which of these 3 cities is the best one to visit? Guadalajara, Monterrey, or Puebla?

I haven't ever been to Mexico before and know that when I do visit that Mexico City is a must-see because of its history, culture, and prominence.

However, with Mexico's next tier of cities, which one is the best one to visit? The most fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,655 times
Puebla hands down, is a colonial city with a beautiful historical downtown, many interesting places to visit, with lots of history and great weather and food places.

Guadalajara represents a great image of Mexico with tequila and mariachis, a really interesting city.

Monterrey is an industrial city but has many attractions such as parks and museums worth visiting.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times
Guadalajara---I was just there about a month ago on a road trip. We visited several major cities in south-central Mexico, and it was my least favorite. I agree with the poster above re: Puebla. Lovely. I would also avoid Chapala (on Lake Chapala). Ajijic and the stretch leading up to Chapala were nice, but the town of Chapala was overrun by 20-somethings and they were all drunk (I kid you not!). Finding somewhere to park was a pain. Big surprise for me on this trip was Leon. We hadn't planned on going there, but somehow ended up there--and we loved it!

I've travelled extensively (and lived for two yrs) in south-central Mexico for the past 10 years. I definitely have my favorites! Happy travels.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I have been to Guadalajara and Puebla and depending on time I would pick Mexico City hands down.

MC has the Churches, Xochimilco (small lake), Pink Zone and other delights for any tourist.

Close by the Pyramids at TULA.

Close by to Cuernavaca (City of Eternal Spring) (we had a weekend house there)

Close by Taxco and the old church (with 14 alters) built by Indians over 200 some yrs ago.

Also in the area the underground cavern that was a one time underground river going to Acapulco and the Pacific.

The above three can be seen by a one or two day bus ride from MC.

MC would be the central point to the above places.

Lived in MC with a Mexican wife who showed me around before our marriage which sold me on the place.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 AM

143 posts, read 192,098 times
Guadalajara is better for night life, excitement, and youth.
Puebla has better weather, more tranquil, and calm.. better suited for older people.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Puebla is known for its food. Also, there are several archaeological sites in that region I would like to see. Puebla would be my choice.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
i just got back from Puebla this past weekend. Did a weekend getaway there. Actually stayed in Cholula but spent half the time in Puebla too. I liked it a lot. It's got a cool downtown/central area. Interesting architecture, cool restaurants, interesting food. It seems to be a tranquil city overall. Noticed there were a lot of Mexican tourists (from other parts of Mexico) and a handful of foreign tourists. City is situated in a really beautiful large valley that's got volcanoes and mountains off in the distance on all sides. Mild weather. Rained every evening for a couple hours, but otherwise sunny during the day. Suprisingly cold at night, actually.

I cannot compare it to Monterrey or Guadalajara, havent' been to those two.

I would like to return to Puebla and spend a little more time there.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:11 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOLee View Post
Guadalajara is better for night life, excitement, and youth.
Puebla has better weather, more tranquil, and calm.. better suited for older people.
They are radically different sizes. GDL is like Los Angeles only better.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM

337 posts, read 733,265 times
I voted for Puebla. I've been to both Guadalajara and Puebla, but not Monterrey.

I think Puebla has better weather. It gets hot in Guadalajara. I also thought Puebla had better food and history, and a nicer downtown core. One can also take day trips to Cholula, as previously mentioned. I also felt things were a bit cheaper in Puebla than Guadalajara. Mexico City also isn't too far away.

Guadalajara was hot and smoggy when I visited. I didn't find the sites within the city terribly interesting (Hospicio Cabanas, Mercado Libertad, etc.) I also took day trips to Tlaquepaque and Tonala. I went to both on non-market days so there wasn't much to do. However, Guadalajara does seem larger and more youthful/energetic than Puebla.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Great responses from everyone.

My understanding after reading the responses is that Puebla is the most historically linked of the three cities. I also get the impression that it has a much more intricate pedestrian environment and a whole lot of vibrancy.

All three appear to be superb cities, all more urban than any in America with the exception of New York and maybe Chicago and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico