U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM

951 posts, read 1,147,159 times

Advertisements

Tulum is gorgeous, but having seen it become popular and inundated with "eco-botique" tourism that seemed unsustainable, I'm not terribly surprised to see this come about. I hope other parts of Mexico are developed more responsibly and intelligently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/wo...=top-news&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,555,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Tulum is gorgeous, but having seen it become popular and inundated with "eco-botique" tourism that seemed unsustainable, I'm not terribly surprised to see this come about. I hope other parts of Mexico are developed more responsibly and intelligently.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/world/americas/mexico-tulum-corruption-evictions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&cli ckSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0[/url]
This is horrible- an eye opener to investing in Mexican beach front property.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,966,347 times
Same thing happened here at Punta Banda south of Ensenada Baja.

I saw on TV the furniture being tossed off a 2nd story balcony onto the ground below...nothing was spared.

Can you imagine dressers, lamps and other things tossed like junk.

Some had a chance to remove things earlier but never did.

Did hear that some were negotiating some purchase price trying to recruit any losses.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 AM

972 posts, read 1,301,556 times
The ejido is the worst heritage we got from the Revolution. Archaic, collective form of land ownership that always ends up in disputes. Useless.

I find it odd that in all those examples they went ahead with the land purchase while knowing there was a dispute. That is a gigantic no-no. Even more in Mexico where property rights are not really enforced.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 AM

6,958 posts, read 18,546,093 times
#1 Reason to get title insurance! Yes it is available in Mexico.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
The ejido is the worst heritage we got from the Revolution. Archaic, collective form of land ownership that always ends up in disputes. Useless.

I find it odd that in all those examples they went ahead with the land purchase while knowing there was a dispute. That is a gigantic no-no. Even more in Mexico where property rights are not really enforced.
Some of the comments from readers are very illuminating. Some folks from the area pointed out that beaches are lawfully public in Mexico, though resorts are often militant about trying to keep non-paying folks away. That's a bitter pill to swallow if you've grown up there and the folks telling you to get lost aren't even from Mexico.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,784,443 times
From what I know of the legal situation of real estate in MEX any foreigner who buys in a touristic zone and other designated zones (all the mexican coasts in fact) must sign a fideicomis at the lawyer's, meaning the property is his only as long as he lives but then reverts to the state. Good luck to those who want to buy there.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:38 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,966,347 times
Does NOT belong to the State. Have been here in my Ejido (built house) for 20yrs now. I am allowed to DEED to my Heirs and my case a Dual American/Mexico Citizenship Great Grandson.

Some years back Mexico City allowed/issued the Ejido buyers here a Legal TITLE to the land they purchased.

They had to be Mexican Citizens.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:25 PM

11,685 posts, read 13,095,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/wo...=top-news&_r=0
Why would people knowingly "buy" property to which the title was not clear. As one of the fools says, "no brainer."

Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Why would people knowingly "buy" property to which the title was not clear. As one of the fools says, "no brainer."
In a word:
Ambiguity (regarding the title).

Real estate transactions in Mexico can be fraught and murky, especially when foreigners are involved and/or the land is extremely desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico