Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

A friend from way back ( single, never married, no kids ) told me he was considering retiring to the Baja peninsula. I have never heard anyone I know have that on their list.

Have many US citizens retired there ?

If he does move there, I plan on visiting him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 02:46 PM

140 posts, read 267,268 times
Check out La Paz Gringos on Yahoo
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

Baja is OK if you want to live in the desert

Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A friend from way back ( single, never married, no kids ) told me he was considering retiring to the Baja peninsula. I have never heard anyone I know have that on their list.

Have many US citizens retired there ?

If he does move there, I plan on visiting him.
Well the Baja península is quite large, and yes, there are quite a few American retirees living there. I would say it is in the thousands.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
More like 10's of thousands if not more, especially from Ensenada northward. Lot's in Mulege and Loreto and a big bunch in Los Cabos.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
There are nicer parts of Mexico for expats/retirees, for sure.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Lets see now, 20 plus yrs here south of Rosarito.....own home with NO Mortgage....30 miles from the border.....easy access to American Grocery items be it here or in San Ysidro.....98% of US Beef sold here....ATM available....utilities etc cheaper....AVG temp in the 60-70 range....NO Smog....fresh sea breeze.....and rain?...where have I heard that word before.

Okay, some people understand what I'm saying.

Some yrs back there was a reported estimate of 14,000 Americans in the Rosarito area which I think covers a few miles further south and not within the city limits so to speak.

Based upon the traffic in town today compared to when I first came here in 1996 do think the Americans number close to 25,000. I see many Calif plated cars.....Americans at the Mkt or paying their phone bills etc.

South of Ensenada and below in the middle of Baja could be considered desert but looking at Mullege, La Paz, Cd Constitution, Cabo San Jose and Cabo at the tip will show a good size population......need I say more?

Old 09-15-2016, 03:43 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
What's the crime situation like? That's what would scare me about Mexico.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Am sure there is some crime and with a Police dept no different then any US city.

One thing that stands out is the lack of traffic tickets like what is seen in the US.

Roll thru a stop sign at 2-3 mph etc there is no issues...jaywalk and a Police unit will stop and put on his Red/Blue lights to stop any cars allowing you to cross (happened to me)

To me it is the small petty US revenue (tickets) while here they do not exist.

I once missed a New Stop sign at the same time saw the Police Lights in my mirror.

He had his book in hand and I thought for sure he was going to write me up and it was to be paid immediately at the Office.

Explained that I had forgotten the New Stop sign and apologized so he just told me to SLOW down when driving and let me go. (try that in the US) Many times there is NO notice painted on the road letting a person know of a Stop ahead. It is just planted next to the curb.

They are not traffic enforcers for city revenue as many locals do not have the money/income to pay any ticket.

They installed three Stop signs close together in order to slow the traffic on the heavy used road.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:09 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
What's the crime situation like? That's what would scare me about Mexico.
Crime issues would be at the bottom of my list for worries, but from my widespread travels around a good part of Latin America it is the Noise issues which continually deters me.

Even up here in Las Vegas, where I work in "Mex-Town"/North Las Vegas on a Saturday night, I sometimes wonder, before all the loud music begins, did they consult their neighbors first, or invite them all to the fiesta? And this noise is well heard blocks away from the LTC/Rehab facility I work at!

Try getting a good night's sleep if you get a room in a hotel/motel within 2 blocks of Revolution in Tijuana, with all the music from the Disco's blasting 'til all hours of the night.

Even in a small town in El Salvador one night, there was music/sermons blasting from the speakers outside the evangelical churches until well past midnite!

And being awakened by crowing Roosters early morning hours?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Crime issues would be at the bottom of my list for worries, but from my widespread travels around a good part of Latin America it is the Noise issues which continually deters me.

Even up here in Las Vegas, where I work in "Mex-Town"/North Las Vegas on a Saturday night, I sometimes wonder, before all the loud music begins, did they consult their neighbors first, or invite them all to the fiesta? And this noise is well heard blocks away from the LTC/Rehab facility I work at!

Try getting a good night's sleep if you get a room in a hotel/motel within 2 blocks of Revolution in Tijuana, with all the music from the Disco's blasting 'til all hours of the night.

Even in a small town in El Salvador one night, there was music/sermons blasting from the speakers outside the evangelical churches until well past midnite!

And being awakened by crowing Roosters early morning hours?
I would agree, the noise issue is a pretty big problem. But, if you move to an área with alot of American retirees, you may not have a problem.

This is one thing that I am very American about. Lol I need my sleep and don't want to be awakened by roosters, parties, firecrackers, loud music and vendors all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico