Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:04 PM

29 posts, read 97,931 times

Advertisements

Thinking about visiting Mexico City for 4 days. Any recommendations and tips? Would you consider it safe? Any places within or out of the city that you would consider romantic, perhaps for a proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 05:16 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,402,420 times
Both these restaurants are good for a proposal. San Angel Inn is a little more famous and a lot more touristy.
San Angel Inn San Angel Inn

Tezka is in the Zona Rosa, where a lot of hotels are. You can be back in your hotel in a few minutes after she says yes.
Restaurante Tezka Zona Rosa Menú Mejor Restaurante Vasco Mexico DF Tezka

At 418 pesos ~$21 these are the two lamb dishes are the most expensive dishes at Tezka
Lamb wrapped in sheets of coffee accompanied with candied potatoes and bathed with a touch of vanilla oil
Garlic oil marinated lamb rolls with candied peppers and potato confit

At 209 pesos ~$10 one of the least expensive entrees at Tezka
Braised veal cheek wrapped in pineapple roasted with crunchy cocoa and seasoned fruit granulate and a touch of anise

5 star suites for about USD$80 per night right near Tezka
NUESTRAS SUITES

If you have a lot more money there are much fancier options.

Teotihuacan is about 20 miles outside of the city, and is one of the world's wonders
http://science.nationalgeographic.co.../teotihuacan-/

Frida Kahlo's home (now museum) is in the southern part of the city
http://www.museofridakahlo.org.mx/

When going to Frida Kahlo's home, a few blocks away is
The Plaza del Centenario (Jardín del Centenario) which is a delightful place to have a few drinks.

Wonderful city for a proposal.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-23-2016 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,692,888 times
I have not idea... but want to go too. So looking forward to reading any feedback. What happend to SeanOLee ? He is like right there....

Old 11-23-2016, 08:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,876,301 times
TAXCO is the place. A 200 yr old church snd a place to eat on a balcony over looking the church and plaza below. How do I know? I did that there. Buenas Suerte.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,882,434 times
Very safe. We rode the subway all over the place. Wonderful cafes in Condessa. Great walking area in the evening.

Lots of museums, parks, plazas.

Our fave was Chapultepec Park. It's fabulous...and the home to the only castle in North America.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 PM

12,074 posts, read 23,171,672 times
I just returned from five days walking around the Historic District. The national palace, Templo Mayor, and the Metropolitan Cathedral are all within a couple of blocks of each other. You can catch the guided tour buses by the cathedral and go out to Teotihuacan. I got lost in Chapultepec Park -- the place is huge.

WC signs indicate "water closet" or public restroom. You will see a lot of them on the street. It is common for them to be at the back of a business. Cost to enter is 3 to 5 MX dollars. In some of them you have to buy toilet paper, in others the TP is on a giant industrial size roll mounted to the wall when you enter and you are expected to take what you need. It could be a fatal mistake to assume any stall has TP. Outside of hotels, it is common to roll your used toilet paper up and dispose of it in the trash can which is inside of every stall.

I found a number of bakeries -- the pastries were delicious and cheap. A pastry that would cost me 3 to 5 US dollars at home costs 7 MX dollars, which is about 35 cents.

You catch a cab at the airport to the city proper. You buy a cab ticket inside at the cab booth and the price is based on what zone in the city you are going to. It cost me $230 to go to the Centro Historico. Once in the city, if you don't have a metered cab, cab rates can vary significantly (but, compared to US cab prices, are still a bargain).

I felt very safe, and I did a lot of walking around at night. I have never seen so many cops in one place in all my life. You can't go a block without seeing officers standing at foot posts. The most officers I counted was something like 23 officers in one block on both sides of the street. Some of the police carry pistols, some carry shotguns, and some carry rifles or sub-machine guns (and these are their officers on foot patrol). A lot of them also carry riot shields. That is just a normal day and is nothing to be alarmed about.

I bought most of my MX currency through my AAA office and took it with me. You can also exchange at the airport. I exchanged a small amount at the hotel, but the rates were poor. I was told there was a bank in my vicinity, but I never found it.

The devaluation of the MX currency is something I had a hard time wrapping my head around. You see a $500 price tag on something and think that is a crazy price, when in reality it is $25 US and it is a great price.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 11-24-2016 at 10:24 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 AM

605 posts, read 666,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
TAXCO is the place. A 200 yr old church snd a place to eat on a balcony over looking the church and plaza below. How do I know? I did that there. Buenas Suerte.
I have been to Taxco a few years ago when I visited Mexico City, and I have to say that town is one of the most prettiest places I have been to in the world. Puebla is also worth a visit if you have the time, although I would skip it and see Teotihuacan instead if you are limited on time.

Anyways Mexico City has so much to do in the way of museums/attractions that it is impossible to see it all in a week.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,688,947 times
I would cast a third vote for Taxco; after our wedding in DF we brought our international visitors up there and everyone was very impressed.

Check on what the state department says about safety in the region though.

Mexico City: lots to enjoy and you've gotten good recommendations here. I recommend a day in San Angel and Coyoacan. Look into dinner at El cardenal in San Angel.

The anthropology museum (museo de antropología) is a must visit--one of my favorite museums in the world and I've had the good fortune to travel widely. The historic center is awesome but it can get claustrophobic, so I like it in moderation (i.e. I'd recommend staying in a nearby neighborhood like Roma Norte or Condesa and taking the metro into the centro).

Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,876,301 times
New Mexico has it's Carlsbad Caverans while Mexico has it's own. It is close to Taxco and Curenavaca (City of Eternal Spriing). The caverans...Taxco...Cuernevaca...Acapulco should/could be a worthwhile visit. (Been there/done that). My Mexican wife from DF clued me in.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,402,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
New Mexico has it's Carlsbad Caverans while Mexico has it's own. It is close to Taxco and Curenavaca (City of Eternal Spriing). The caverans...Taxco...Cuernevaca...Acapulco should/could be a worthwhile visit. (Been there/done that). My Mexican wife from DF clued me in.
Rough distances
25 miles Teotihuacan
40 miles Cuernavaca
80 miles Puebla
110 miles Taxco

Just keep in mind that you are talking about one of the most populous cities in the world. It does take a long time to go short distances. Any of the above can be done as a day trip (although Cuernavaca and Taxco are in same direction), but to do all of them in a one week visit would be exhausting.

Mexico City rivals New York as a great museum city. I would not suggest missing Teotihuacan as it makes anything in Europe more than 1000 years old look tiny in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico