Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
$4700 USD a month to spend and you're not a millionaire......ok
On that amount I think you live pretty well in Mexico.
Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco would be my choices
I will grant you that $4700 USD is more than enough to live in PV or ACA. But there are a lot of people in PV that have that much to spend.

If you live in an art center of Mexico, you can probably find a quality furnished apartment for $700 a month and eat in a restaurant every night. You can afford taxis easily, and travel to nearby cities. Medical treatment and prescriptions should be easy.

This menu in a trendy restaurant in Oaxaca City with a retractable roof shows that USD$11.50 is the priciest entree on the menu.
https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...PPKsovDw/o.jpg

Another excellent place in Oaxaca City
350 pesos CHAMORRO DE CERDO EN MOLE MANCHAMANTEL (800 GRS.)con curtido de verduras.
Menú Oaxaca
Now admittedly that is about $17.50 but it is 2 pounds of pork.

You won't eat like that every night, but for $10 you can go to a nice place in the plaza and listen to music, have a few beers and great tacos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Furnished Apts are not available in all locations. Most Apts for rent do not even have a fridge or stove.
The thing about Mexico is that people tend to stay in a home when growing up.
When I was looking for a place....not even a toilet seat.......bring your own stuff

Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 PM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
Yucatan!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Cozumel. It is insulated from mainland violence and your paltry income will not be considered wealthy there. Since tourism is their lifeblood tourists are rather protected. Of course, you probably didn't have a tourist area in mind.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
$4700 USD a month to spend and you're not a millionaire......ok

On that amount I think you live pretty well in Mexico.

Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco would be my choices
Acapulco is definitely not a safe city.

My wife is Mexican a I have lived in Mexico. The OP should consider Tepic Nayarit It is a medium sized safe city. We like it very much.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
What about Tulum? Is beautiful and very safe. Another option: Xcalac at the southern tip of Quintana Roo. Sayulita in Nayarit, or Huatulco in Oaxaca.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
There are just so many places in Mexico that would be considered safe. It is like here in US where majority is farm and country. I have only been through 1/2 of Mexico and I have felt safe 99% of the time. The 1% was when I was in Juarez and the taxi driver kind of cringed me out. Am sure in cities you have to watch out just like here.

In my husbands hometown(border of Michoacán and Guanajuato) it is small town safe where any crimes there are petty fights and some stealing of livestock or agriculture. I find that when some sort of stealing goes on of personal property it usually is a inside job like a family member or something. I love the drama that goes on in small towns in Mexico. It is like here only much more intense as people there really engage with eachother in front of the homes on the streets. Very entertaining!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:35 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
We're moving to Merida in March. Yucatan state is the safest state in Mexico. Merida has about everything but mild weather. Extremely hot and humid much of the year but overall the positives outweigh the negatives IMO. Aguascalientes was on our radar but very small expat population. If fluent in Spanish definitely worth considering. You get much more house for the money. They have a 12 kilometer long urban park, great for walking. San Luis Potosi has one of the largest Colonial centro's in the country with a very large pedestrian area. I very much like Guanajuato but have decided my knees wouldn't take it. Best way to avoid any kind of kidnapping scenario is don't tell anyone you have $4700 a month to spend. In most of Mexico that's extraordinarily good money. Just live modestly, don't drive an expensive car, consider a gated community. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 AM

305 posts, read 294,361 times
The US embassy in Mexico city.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I traveled a few times through Mexico and Costa Rica. I never had any problem in Mexico, but scores of problems (including the theft of my passport and credit card) in Costa Rica. This should serve as a warning to the Mexico bashers and to the inconditionals of CR .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico