Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm curious for those of you that live in Guadalajara. What are the best internet providers based on your personal experience? What are the speeds and reliability and how much are you paying?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
We live at Lake Chapala but I will say what I know re: GDL internet.

Obviously TelMex. It is reliable albeit slow here at the Lake, but friends in GDL say it is much faster there as the infrastructure is far more advanced than here.

Here we have Telecable (now owned by Izzy) for cable tv....it's internet is faster than what we get here from TelMex, but it is less reliable.

In GDL, the cable is owned by MegaCable which gets high marks for internet there.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We live at Lake Chapala but I will say what I know re: GDL internet.

Obviously TelMex. It is reliable albeit slow here at the Lake, but friends in GDL say it is much faster there as the infrastructure is far more advanced than here.

Here we have Telecable (now owned by Izzy) for cable tv....it's internet is faster than what we get here from TelMex, but it is less reliable.

In GDL, the cable is owned by MegaCable which gets high marks for internet there.

Thanks dothetwist. What kind of rates do you pay per month? I went to a friend's house at Lake Chapala. I'm not sure who he used but speeds were really slow.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
We just signed up for TelMex for a landline (required by them for internet) and internet. A new positive for the landline is that it includes UNLIMITED calls to the US and Canada.

Cost for package is 389 pesos per month (or 20 bucks USD). My DH is able to download TV and movies and has a SlingBox, too. We don't pay for any TV service here in Mexico.

I just did a speed test:
7.36 Down
0.45 Up

Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM

That's a great price compared to other places down South. In Buenos Aires where I also own properties the Internet is as expensive as it is in the USA.

That's great the landlines include calls to the USA/Canada. In my other properties, I've always just used Vonage so my rental guests could call the USA/Canada for no fee. But GREAT that TelMex includes that already.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:00 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
That's a great price compared to other places down South. In Buenos Aires where I also own properties the Internet is as expensive as it is in the USA.

That's great the landlines include calls to the USA/Canada. In my other properties, I've always just used Vonage so my rental guests could call the USA/Canada for no fee. But GREAT that TelMex includes that already.
Is it worth investing in properties so far south? I'm debating whether we should invest in property in southern Brazil. I'm in California.

Do you do business down there?

Old 05-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Is it worth investing in properties so far south? I'm debating whether we should invest in property in southern Brazil. I'm in California.

Do you do business down there?

Well the trick is to have a very good property manager or someone dependable in the city you are buying in. I've owned properties in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and I just bought a property in Guadalajara (Zapopan).

I owned a business in Argentina before but I typically like buying when I think there is a good "buying opportunity". For example, I purchased several properties in Argentina after the last financial crash. Some properties I purchased for under $100,000 and then sold for as high as $275,000 US dollars plus I made quite a bit of cash flow from the rentals.

I also did well buying a beach house in Punta del Este, Uruguay. And again in Rio I bought in 2004 when property prices were very low. They have since gone up dramatically (3 X higher than what I paid). Prices are quite high now in Buenos Aires so I just unloaded a few properties to invest the proceeds in Mexico.

I believe now is a good time to buy real estate in Mexico if you can buy in pesos with the higher dollar/weaker peso. I believe there will be great capital appreciation potential there over the long haul. (I typically hold for at least 7-10 years).

Even not counting the capital appreciation potential (that's icing on the cake), the cash flow potential is pretty good if you're buying in a great area. Looks to be about 6% net income on cash flow.

Typically it's all about buying at the right time and selling at the right time and the recipe that I've always followed is to buy in the best neighborhoods of the city. That's done very well for me over the long haul in any city that I've purchased in.

Even during recessions or downturns in the economy, I've found that in the nicer neighborhoods there is always demand and someone willing to pay a higher price.

Just keep in mind there is a 'hassle factor' in buying in some countries. Especially South America. For example, there is almost never any financing for non-resident foreigners so it's strictly cash. And in places like Argentina where the banking system isn't that good, it was LITERALLY cash purchases where you had to pay the owner CASH with $100 US dollar bills at closing. Very surreal experience. In Brazil when I bought it was also kind of a hassle. You have to get your CPF (tax ID #) and it was a hassle back then. It may be easier now.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Well the trick is to have a very good property manager or someone dependable in the city you are buying in. I've owned properties in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and I just bought a property in Guadalajara (Zapopan).

I owned a business in Argentina before but I typically like buying when I think there is a good "buying opportunity". For example, I purchased several properties in Argentina after the last financial crash. Some properties I purchased for under $100,000 and then sold for as high as $275,000 US dollars plus I made quite a bit of cash flow from the rentals.

I also did well buying a beach house in Punta del Este, Uruguay. And again in Rio I bought in 2004 when property prices were very low. They have since gone up dramatically (3 X higher than what I paid). Prices are quite high now in Buenos Aires so I just unloaded a few properties to invest the proceeds in Mexico.

I believe now is a good time to buy real estate in Mexico if you can buy in pesos with the higher dollar/weaker peso. I believe there will be great capital appreciation potential there over the long haul. (I typically hold for at least 7-10 years).

Even not counting the capital appreciation potential (that's icing on the cake), the cash flow potential is pretty good if you're buying in a great area. Looks to be about 6% net income on cash flow.

Typically it's all about buying at the right time and selling at the right time and the recipe that I've always followed is to buy in the best neighborhoods of the city. That's done very well for me over the long haul in any city that I've purchased in.

Even during recessions or downturns in the economy, I've found that in the nicer neighborhoods there is always demand and someone willing to pay a higher price.

Just keep in mind there is a 'hassle factor' in buying in some countries. Especially South America. For example, there is almost never any financing for non-resident foreigners so it's strictly cash. And in places like Argentina where the banking system isn't that good, it was LITERALLY cash purchases where you had to pay the owner CASH with $100 US dollar bills at closing. Very surreal experience. In Brazil when I bought it was also kind of a hassle. You have to get your CPF (tax ID #) and it was a hassle back then. It may be easier now.
Thanks so much for the information. I am young but have invested in Mexico and have already seen positive results. I am starting to understand what you are saying about buying at the right time...I see lots of economic activity and demand in the area of Mexico I bought in. I made lots of sacrifices in a very short time and it seems to have been a good move. I am interested in buying one more property there but I don't want to get too in over my head.

I have the opportunity to buy a condo in Brazil, I have the connections and dependable family down there who can help if needed. In thinking it is a good idea to seize the opportunity.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Thanks so much for the information. I am young but have invested in Mexico and have already seen positive results. I am starting to understand what you are saying about buying at the right time...I see lots of economic activity and demand in the area of Mexico I bought in. I made lots of sacrifices in a very short time and it seems to have been a good move. I am interested in buying one more property there but I don't want to get too in over my head.

I have the opportunity to buy a condo in Brazil, I have the connections and dependable family down there who can help if needed. In thinking it is a good idea to seize the opportunity.

That's fabulous that you started investing in real estate while you were young. I did the same thing. The key thing is not to leverage too much (if at all if possible). Like you, I started young. I'd buy a property and then save up and then buy another then another. I'd rent them all out and take the cash I'd make on them and keep reinvesting it and still doing that today.

Again, it helps to buy in desirable neighborhoods as there is always demand in good areas. Good luck and congrats.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Axtel is the best. But there has to be coverage in your area as it is internet through fiber optics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico