Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I guess I won't be living in Mexico anytime soon. Even a drive down Playa del Tijuana Ave. didn't convince me. Better to look further south like maybe Panama which has an excellent fast-track retirement program for American/Canadian retirees.
RE in Panama has inflated, due to so many US expats, to the point of being unaffordable for many. A decade or more ago, many decamped for Ecuador, the best location they could find affordability-wise and climate-wise. Of course, the new retirement developments there have, in turn, begun to drive RE prices up, causing resentment with the locals. There's a site called "Go Ecuador" you can check out for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cid911 View Post
cry me a river.
Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Sounds like a good idea, go to Panama.
'

Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE in Panama has inflated, due to so many US expats, to the point of being unaffordable for many. A decade or more ago, many decamped for Ecuador, the best location they could find affordability-wise and climate-wise. Of course, the new retirement developments there have, in turn, begun to drive RE prices up, causing resentment with the locals. There's a site called "Go Ecuador" you can check out for more info.
I did notice that. I was scouting a real estate website for condos and I couldn't believe the prices.

Quote:
$890,000 - Apartment

SPECTACULAR APARTMENT IN SEA QUEST TOWER Located in Punta Paitilla, one of the most exclusive areas of the city where you can find shopping malls, restaurants, parks, etc. Centrally located and highly valued, near the financial...
Rules say in order to get the fast track retirement visa you have to have at least $1000/mo in proven income (pension, SS, annuity) or invest at least $100,000 in a home and it drops to $750/mo. I couldn't find anything decent less than $250,000.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 PM

146 posts, read 150,804 times
Sounds fair enough bye bye lol.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I'll forever be surprised by those that don't put climate on their list of retirement choices.

Panama? One huge outdoor sauna with insects?

Ecuador? How we're talking! High elevation, 9400 feet in Quito, some 6-7000 feet in Cuenca!

Rosarito/Tijuana? Look for some quite chilly nights in winter! Any wonder so many homes have fireplaces, and in San Diego as well?

Old 05-17-2017, 04:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
You want good climate, join us in Lake Chapala, Mexico. Micro-climate due to elevation of 5000 feet situated between Mexico's largest lake and the Sierra Madre mountains.

The Best Weather in the World is in Lake Chapala

Lake Chapala Temperatures & Seasons | What You can Expect - Focus on Mexico

Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 135,668 times
It's not Calcutta, but it's still Mexico, 3rd world on all counts. There's nothing quaint about Rosarito either, more murders than you want to think about and don't even bother comparing it to any U.S. city. Further south into Ensenada and area you will find glossed over 3rd world Mexico. Ensenada's homicide rate is on track for doubling last years rate. Punta Banda is a cesspool of mentally unstable foreigners who are running from their problems. Check out the eastern coast of Mexico, it's grown up a bit since I first started coming here, but less in your face cartel stuff going on. It's nice, sometimes almost quaint and not so many messed up Americans running from their problems looking for cheap drugs.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Given the overpaid police in the U.S., we had better be a safer place than Mexico, but even with that burden on the taxpayers, are we any safer?

Here, in Las Vegas, the paper gives the stats every week for the East Valley where I live, and, on an average, there's 300-400 crimes committed every week, no less than 100 car thefts alone. Yes, that's per week!

I understand that in Mexico they pay the police officers how much? $1000 a month or so? And if you paid them even half the U.S. wages for police, would there be much of a difference?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Actually, I've found that, for whatever reason, Latin America often looks ugly in street view, but is quite attractive when there in person.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:47 PM

153 posts, read 135,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given the overpaid police in the U.S., we had better be a safer place than Mexico, but even with that burden on the taxpayers, are we any safer?

Here, in Las Vegas, the paper gives the stats every week for the East Valley where I live, and, on an average, there's 300-400 crimes committed every week, no less than 100 car thefts alone. Yes, that's per week!

I understand that in Mexico they pay the police officers how much? $1000 a month or so? And if you paid them even half the U.S. wages for police, would there be much of a difference?
Las Vegas can't even come close to comparing to the crime in the northern Baja. 100 car thefts a week....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico