Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And maybe most young people in the world speak a bit of foreign language in 2017? Especially when you live near the border?
Still not seeing what the problem is, given that they're in *their* country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And maybe most young people in the world speak a bit of foreign language in 2017? Especially when you live near the border?
Yes, especially considering 1 out of 7 people on our planet can speak English on a first or second language basis. That doesn't include all the people who speak some basic business or tourism English. I'd venture to guess 1 out of 3 people speak at least some basic English on our planet.

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've always thought the US should press English language requirements into our free trade agreements. English should be compulsory for 4 years in any country we have free trade agreements with us. Why we haven't pressured Latin America to teach English in schools is beyond me. Travel to every other continent in the world, Europe, Asia, and Africa and it's entirely possible to get around with only English. It's always good to know some of the local languages, but almost everywhere uses English for trade and tourism.

But I've traveled around Mexico quite a bit and more and more young people do know some English, but it's not on par with even somewhere like China or Vietnam.
Hmmmm. So which is it going to be for the US. Mandarin or Cantonese? You seriously think other countries would bow to such arrogance?

Quote:
Travel to every other continent in the world, Europe, Asia, and Africa and it's entirely possible to get around with only English. It's always good to know some of the local languages, but almost everywhere uses English for trade and tourism.

Somehow I doubt you've travelled all over the world, if you actually think that.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And why would you eat at McDonald's in Mexico?
Fear.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Fear.
I guess.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Still not seeing with the problem is, given that they're in *their* country.
He's just asking why they don't want to learn English. We all understand Mexico can do what they want in their country.

Most countries that rely a lot on tourism and trade, make foreign languages a priority in education. Mexico does a lot of tourism and trade.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Hmmmm. So which is it going to be for the US. Mandarin or Cantonese? You seriously think other countries would bow to such arrogance?
The US already teaches tons of languages and English is compulsory in China and Hong Kong. It's not arrogance. When a Chinese tourist goes to Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, Italy, France, etc, guess which language they communicate in. English, broken English (and gibberish). It's just life, English is the dominant global language. Everyone should learn multiple languages, and English is the most useful and common language globally.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Somehow I doubt you've travelled all over the world, if you actually think that.
Ok... I'm not saying people are fluent in English everywhere. But go to a $100 a night hotel in, pick any country, and they will likely speak a little English.

I wouldn't say I'm an international traveling expert, but I've traveled out of the US to 8 different countries about 14 times. I always try to learn a few basic words of national languages, but fone can get by on English most of the time. But if you travel to some remote jungle in Thailand, sure they aren't likely to speak any English, but one won't have problems flying around, staying at hotels, and seeing tourist spots on English. If one needs help, don't ask questions from some local 50 year old. Ask a young person.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The US already teaches tons of languages and English is compulsory in China and Hong Kong. It's not arrogance. When a Chinese tourist goes to Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, Italy, France, etc, guess which language they communicate in. English, broken English (and gibberish). It's just life, English is the dominant global language. Everyone should learn multiple languages, and English is the most useful and common language globally.
The arrogance comes into play when you think that forcing a nation to teach a language is valid as part of a trade agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico