Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,134 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be visiting Mexico City for 4 nights over Labor Day weekend. I am staying at an upscale hotel in Polanco for the first two nights, but would like to stay in another neighborhood to get a feel of a different part of the city.

I am looking at hotels Reforma and Centro Historico, and am more inclined toward the latter since it will be easier to walk around and check out all the awesome historical sites.

Which one would you recommend in terms of safety? Your insights are truly appreciated, really looking forward to the visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
A couple years ago we stayed for five nights in the Centro Historico. Lots of neat history to walk to, easy access to the metro, lots of restaurants. (although some in that area were definitely mediocre)

The Centro Historico seemed quite safe in general, but many side streets got very empty a little later in the evening. It didn't seem dangerous exactly, but we generally tried to minimize our walking on the emptier streets after dark, just to be prudent.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,231,969 times
The Hilton Mexico City Reforma is very well located and is not that expensive. In the middle of the way from Centro Historico to Reforma. The Hampton inn and suites centro histórico is a good option too.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:52 PM

Thank you! Yes I looked at the Hilton, its a little out of my desired price range for the dates in question.

How about the following hotels in Reforma or Centro Historico - any insights?

-Le Meridien (found a surprisingly good deal for this, less than $100/night, just not sure about location)
- NH Mexico City Reforma
-Sheraton Maria Isabel
-Zocalo Central
-NH Centro Historico

Thanks for all the help!!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Thank you! Yes I looked at the Hilton, its a little out of my desired price range for the dates in question.

-Le Meridien (found a surprisingly good deal for this, less than $100/night, just not sure about location)
- NH Mexico City Reforma
-Sheraton Maria Isabel
-Zocalo Central
-NH Centro Historico

Nice places on Reforma are going to feel kind of like Polanco. The mall Reforma 222 feels just like Antara which you almost surely will spend some time around if you are in Polanco.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:54 AM

502 posts, read 654,718 times
for a different feeling I would choose Coyoacan neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
We have stayed here and would not consider staying anywhere else in Mexico City. We walked every night to wonderful sidewalk cafes, very safe. Convenient to subway for daytime tours around the City. It's a gem of a place. Far better than any sterile hotel. It is in Condessa.
The Red Tree House – Staying with friends

Last edited by dothetwist; 08-09-2017 at 04:12 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,231,969 times
Quote:

- NH Mexico City Reforma
-Sheraton Maria Isabel
-Zocalo Central
-NH Centro Historico

Sheraton Maria Isabel is in Paseo de la Reforma just in front of the ¨Angel de la Independencia¨ great location and the hotel is traditional good.

NH are hotels for business, very basic, but don´t worry, they are good for what they are: rest. Almost all day you will be outside.

Zocalo Central has very good rating from Tripadvisor, I don´t know it, but I trust in Trip Advisor.

And Le Meridien is near Monumento La Revolucion, good location too.

Last edited by SenorChip; 08-09-2017 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Sheraton Maria Isabel is in Paseo de la Reforma just in front of the ¨Angel de la Independencia¨ great location and the hotel is traditional good.

NH are hotels for business, very basic, but don´t worry, they are good for what they are: rest. Almost all day you will be outside.

Zocalo Central has very good rating from Tripadvisor, I don´t know it, but I trust in Trip Advisor.

And Le Meridien is near Monumento La Revolucion, good location too.

Thank you!! Super helpful, will make a decision soon.

Really excited and looking forward to the trip!!

Old 08-10-2017, 05:00 PM

983 posts, read 1,633,639 times
Quote:

- NH Mexico City Reforma
-Sheraton Maria Isabel
-Zocalo Central
-NH Centro Historico

If you stay at the Hilton, do have breakfast at El Cardenal downstairs. It's sublime. Especially the bread and hot cocoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico