Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 PM

22 posts, read 122,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
When it rains, it POURS. Am another person who was married to a Mexican National. Went to the offices in Mexico City and finally gave up. We got married in Vegas (no Problem and I spent 3 yrs as a Tourst that returned every 90 days to renew my Visa until I was once asked why the many trips back and forth. Explained that I was married to a national but did not have residence status. He stamped my Visa for 6 months. Bingo!! Never worked, my wife owned a house there and also a small weekend house on the free road going into Cuernavaca. I LOVE that town. Jump on the Quota (toll road) and you are in Mexico City fast. Other direction is Acapulco.Went there 3-4 times a year.You can do the same as I did. WORKING?? forget it, it would be impossible unless you are happy with 5-10 dlls a day. Wages are by the day, not by the hr as in the states. You would also have to live off his wages.Do not know his education background or trade. That will be a big factor. Living in Mexico City 3 yrs and knowing the people and their living/work habits and now in Baja 12 yrs, I can speak with a little (very) knowledge. Based on what I know, MONEY,MONEY, and more MONEY is going to be the major headache. The poor kid will be considered AMERICANIZED and NOT MEXICAN. Mexico City has ENGLISH schools for some Americans whose parents live/work for a major company but you are not in that catagory. It is going to be a TOUGH go and I feel for you but my GUT feeling is that you will be discouraged within 1-2 yrs at the most. You do not have any blood connection to warrant your staying longer then what I predict. However I do wish you well. Good Luck (buenas suerte) Stefhen
My husband and I have (though not for much longer, obviously) a successful landscaping business. He is an expert landscaper and I did all the accounting and business end of it. It breaks my heart to have to sell our business, but my husband is irreplaceable and I think it would be too hard to try to keep it going from down there.

I would like to think we could come back in 1-2 years, but my husband refuses to come back illegally ever again, so it would have to be if he was granted some kind of pardon. Or we would have to live in a border town so I could work on the other side and live with him in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,692,650 times
You could go over and live like a tourist, meaning live there, but have to leave Mexico once or twice a yeary- whatever the laws say. If you can't get a visa or citizenship, you can be with him as a visitor.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,415,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post
Thank you. Some prick in another post told me in bold letters that he was here illegally twice, as if I needed that pointed out to me. I'm sure he's glad of what happened.

My husband is already in Mexico so he is not coming back illegally a third time. He had to appear in Juarez for his appointment where they told him that he could not re-enter the U.S. So all the process of moving I have to do alone.

Our son will find it hard to adjust because he has ADHD. That is what I worry about the most. But thanks for your advice all the same. One good thing in all this is that I already speak, read and write fluent Spanish. I don't have to live in a gringo area to get along. But I do like the idea of living where there are American things, like Starbucks and Pizza Hut.
Starbucks and Pizza Hut are omnipresent in mexican cities

I'm Mexican and I had to struggle with ADHD on my childhood and I did pretty well

Don't worry about Mexico I'm sure you'll like it more than you think, Mexicans are pretty receptive and nice, the only thing we don't like is when people comes with a feeling of superiority, but that doesn't seem to be your case

Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 AM

609 posts, read 2,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cuernavaca is absolutely beautiful -- very many of the towns in that area are. Taxco is nice, Guanajuato is nice, Colima. Puebla is a nice bigger city.

It's a myth that people are starving to death in Mexico. Your son will do just fine there.
I agree. Go with a positive attutude, enjoy Mexico, the people and the culture. Everything will work out.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,798,626 times
You may not be able to change the laws and how the country or countries look at your personal situation, however you can change how you personally look at what is happening and how you deal with the issues each day. This may or will require a life style change on your part, however keeping the family together is important no matter which country you are in.

Decent people are kind and loving are come in all nationalities and live in all countries, I think you’ll find good people in both countries to help you with the issues you have.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,478 times
I have just recently moved to mexico about 6 montha ago, and have learnt quikly in the little town how things work. First of all the fm-2 is th ebest for you, it is the closest thing to residency you can get really. And for a location still in question, persnally I think I have the best of both world. I am in a small town with all the great small town people and food, its great and just 45 minutes down the road is Manzanillo with all the comforts from American like Walmart and other such things like that. The best thing is being that close without paying the cost of living in the big city, The town I am in is called Melaque, ask your husbad if he knows it. It is on the Pacific coast about3 or 4 hours South of Puerto Vallart and like I said only 45 min away from Manazanillo. Melaque real estate right now is booming with opportunities left, right and center. Beautiful condos and homes are begining to pop up and tons of land to buy right in the beautiful Bahia De Navidad, I can't wait to build for myself.

Good luck with everythin, hope it works out for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post
Hello, I just returned from Mexico today after traveling to Juarez with my husband. He had an appointment with the U.S. Consulate there, and we paid thousands of dollars in legal fees in order to "do everything right." But to no avail. He was told that he has to stay in Mexico for 10 years, despite his American wife and son.

We decided that the first step for me is to look into getting Mexican residency. I know that there exists an FM-2 and an FM-3. I don't know which would be better or more attainable for me. I am interested in any information on the subject. (BTW, our son already has dual citizenship, something his father took care of when he was born so that there would never be a problem with his living there...so I don't need a visa for him). I understand that getting Mexican residency is no cakewalk.

Also, I read in these forums quite a lot about relocating to Mexico, but the cities which my husband thinks is are good choices for us were not mentioned. Those cities are Cuautla and Cuernavaca, Morelos. My husband says the weather there is beautiful and there is access to some American restaurants and even a Wal-Mart. Does anyone know about these cities or has lived there? I have returned to the States in order to sell everything we have here and let our son finish out his school year, and due to lack of funds (we're broke from paying immigration, what a total waste of money!) I won't be able to travel there again until it's time to move. I have no idea what kind of home we will be able to afford until I have sold what few assets we have here, and I know that life will be very different.

I wrote this to get information, by the way, not to be attacked by anti-illegal immigration posters. If you want to know why he was denied a visa, he was brought to the US illegally by his mother when he was a child. When he grew up, he returned to Mexico to visit his sick, elderly father (he's the youngest of eight) and then returned to the U.S. illegally to continue raising his son. (I said "our" son, but he is my stepson, born to my husband and a U.S. citizen girlfriend when my husband was seventeen years old and she was twenty-three. She abandoned her baby one year later and has shown no interest in caring for him since. No one knows where she is. He is now twelve years old, and my husband has raised him alone until he married me. So this proves that he did not marry me just to get a green card...the mother of his child was a citizen and they did not marry).

Of course now he deeply regrets having crossed the border illegally of his own volition (the first time was rather obviously not his fault) because it has cost us everything we have here in the U.S. At that time he was still very young and foolish, and simply followed the example of the rest of his family. He had no idea of how it would affect his life in the future. That is not an excuse, but it is an explanation. So he was told that he does not qualify for a waiver and is subject to the 10-year bar. We were shocked because our lawyer said that since he was never arrested, deported or had any problems and even paid his taxes, he would qualify for the waiver. When he came out of the consulate and told me what happened, he was sobbing and kept begging my forgiveness, knowing that either we would be separated for a decade or I would be separated from my own family and country for that amount of time, possibly living in difficult conditions -- and that only if I was able to obtain permission to live in Mexico.

I am hoping against hope that that will not happen and that I can live with him there without starving or suffering, but any information on those cities and also on the visas would be welcome. Any opinions as to my husband's deserving the punishment he got are not welcome. It is my punishment as well, and our child's, and we have done nothing wrong.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,128,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cuernavaca is absolutely beautiful -- very many of the towns in that area are. Taxco is nice, Guanajuato is nice, Colima. Puebla is a nice bigger city.

It's a myth that people are starving to death in Mexico. Your son will do just fine there.
Ever been to the real Mexico? Not talking about Cancun, or all the tourist attractions. I know people who are barely scraping by. Meaning all they can do is put little food on the table.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,368,476 times
Something I don't understand about how the US works is how does someone who is in the country illegally apply for a marriage license?

Thats a problem they need to sort out right up front. If your in the US and your not a citizen, you should have to show some proof that your here on vacation and plan on leaving afterward to go back home if your wanting to get married here. Similar to the way when I went to the UK for three months, I had to show that I had the funds to support myself without working AND a place to stay AND a return ticket dated so that I would be leaving before I overstayed the alloted time.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,526,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Ever been to the real Mexico? Not talking about Cancun, or all the tourist attractions. I know people who are barely scraping by. Meaning all they can do is put little food on the table.
I've only been to Cancun once -- for the most part I avoided the tourist areas. I traveled all over Mexico, even before it became the 12th richest nation in the world and never once saw someone starving.

Most people in Mexico now have cell phones, televisions, electricity. I was there when that wasn't the case and even then people weren't starving. Street children were commonly seen begging but also not starving.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
SanchezFrank..first of all I am sorry for your denial.I was wondering if you and your husband looked at or tried to see if you could file the I1601 waiver? I am assuming you probably don't qualify but wondered if you knew that option is available to some people denied the visa. From what I have read on other forums it seems that the consulate in Juarez is appliying the law strickter these days.
BTW I have been to Cuatla and Cuernavaca twice.I think it will take some getting used to,but it is really pretty there.I believe you said you speak spanish.I would suggest that you consider looking for work near Mexico City.There would be more of a demand for English/Spanish speakers. Like in the hotel/tourist areas.I understand how scary this would be for me,I was born and raised in the USA so it would be a big adjustment.Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico