Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 122,938 times

Advertisements

Drove through Chihuahua with my husband after his Juarez appointment. Thought it was kind of like a barren wasteland. Everything I saw after Mexico City going down was much prettier.

Thanks to all for their good advice; I'm checking out the other forums and getting some good tips. It's good to have a plan when your life seems like it's falling apart.

I know once I get there things will probably feel much different (in a good way). Right now it feels scary because I'm not there, and my husband is so far away. Thank goodness it seems we have some good options; live in a border city, or I teach English, etc. etc. etc., and it seems my visa worries were unnecessary. So now I feel somewhat relieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,164 times
Default American living in Mexico

Hello,

I am an american living in Puebla, Mexico. Been here for 7 years.

Cuernavaca is a nice city and you will find your Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Wal-Mart etc.....

When you get here go with your husband to apply for your VISA. First you must apply for the FM3, after 5 years you than will change to the FM2 which is another 5 years. After the 10 years than you will be "inmigrado" almost a citizen but you cant vote etc. The only way you can become a Mexican Citizen is if you give up your citizenship in the US.

You do not need to provide proof of income for your VISA. Since you are married to a Mexican Citizen you will be able to receive the VISA. What you will probably need to take is proof of address (once you have it) and your marriage certificate. This is the tricky part but your husband should be able to help. They do not automatically take a marriage certificate from the US. It needs to be translated to Spanish but by an authorized translator which they (Civil Registry) should assign. Than they will "insert" your marriage here in the books and they will provide you with a Mexican Marriage certificate. This will probably be the document Inmigration will take but check with them first.

Its not going to be easy unfortunately here there is a lot of bureacracy.......the best thing is to go with your husband to the office where you must apply for your VISA and ask them what information they will need. Please keep in mind they can change their mind in a week but thats Mexico. If you look you can find good jobs maybe to start you can teach English, thats how I started here. But you will have to be patient!!!!! If you can start coming up with business ideas and instead of working for someone you can open your own business.....

Good luck! Things will work out.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,804 times
Thumbs up Are you talking about Cautla ,morelos

Hi I was born in morelos my mom brought me to usa when I was 5 yrs old , thank god we got are green card and for the first time in 16yrs I visited cautla morelos it is very nice city very calm and lots of place to go, there is walmart and pizza hut...........that good. I wish good luck many people don't know what we go thru to have a decent live. The only thing that I can say is that keep on trying to giveup that the last thing to do god bless you.Also try the combis that is like a bus when you get on those hold on. I think my grandmom is located around juancetepec avenida there is a school and like small river around the corner let me know what part of morelos you move to.Keep up and don't giveup

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I lived in Cuernavaca and Cuautla from 2004-2005. My girlfriend has lived her entire life in Cuautla. Personally I love it there. I would live the rest of my life there if I knew I could get a decent paying job. It's just hard to leave my job and my MBA program in Minneapolis, MN. We're currently in the act of getting her US K1 Fiance visa. She's actually flying to Juarez on Sunday for the medical exam and visa interview. I pray to God she has more luck than you had...your story isn't exactly encouraging I'm sorry to hear you didn't have favorable results there. I would be absolutely devastated if her visa was denied.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 PM

31 posts, read 66,856 times
Default Living in Mexico

A couple of years ago, I decided to live in Mexico with my two kids. They were 6 and 3. My husband is mexican (we went through issues with immigration too, but not nearly what it sounds like you are going through) and so I stayed with his parents. I found the experience to be amazing.

I am lucky that he is from a small town in the state of Puebla, and I get along very well with his mother, father and grown siblings. My son intimidated by going to school there, because he didn't speak any spanish, but the children were very nice to him, and he picked it up very fast.

Does your husband not have family that you can live near? That would make a difference I think. Also, I think you will find that having a Starbucks and Pizza Hut isn't that big of a deal. And shopping at Walmart isn't going to save you very much money, but dealing with the locals and supporting them (instead of the Walton family billionaires) will make a difference in the local economy.

Also, your 12 year old will struggle for a bit because of the language, but give him a couple of months and he will be fine. It is a hard age in general, but as long as you are supportive it will be okay.

I found that I made enough money teaching english classes to local children to get all the 'extras' that I was used to.

Just remember, think of it like an adventure. Just like military men who have to pack up every four years with their family and move.

Last edited by Ilulissat; 04-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: mispelled something

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,793 times
Default reply

hi i am sorry to hear you where deined his visas. you should have done everything in the us . get an I-130 form then get a k-3 whitch would let him come to the us while you wait. but you also have to file a petion if he was in the us without a visa. but right now i am living in silao gto. mexico and its not bad here but to forewarn you this is not like living in the us. it don´t matter what city you go to. my husband is mexican and we have 2 kids and its hard. they don´t make alot of money down here so theres not alot of going to fastfood or walmart. corner stores are cheaper. and yes the weather is nice but in a month or 2 it will start raining. i am here to because i am looking for the right place to go for my husbands visa. well good luck to you. and maybe you should live where his family is. nice to be around family.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,796 times
Smile Afraid of this happening to me

I am now in this same situation I met my husband from Morelos in 2004. Married him in 2006 in Minnesota when we found out I was pregnant with our son, we started our paperwork soon after that and he had voluntary departure in Aug. 2007 right after our son's 1st birthday. His petition was approved May 2006 and we are waiting for our interview. I really deep down in my heart feel for you, it scares me to death not knowing what my future holds for us. I wish all this ends soon and hope to god that soon we will be together and not worry about BEEN ILLEGAL. I went to Cuautla last Aug and again in Oct got to admit it's nice down there but I can't see myself living there even thought my love for my husband is stronger than anything else I think I would risk it and move to Mexico I really would like to hear from you maybe just maybe you could help me to know what to expect and what I could do. I hope to hear from you soon again I really feel your pain and wish you the best. It make me mad that people (immigration) would rather see us suffer and literally rip us off leaving us broke, by giving us false hopes

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Tabithaher/Japa200: I am not familiar with Cauautla other then it is south of the QUOTA going to Cuernavaca. I would definetly live in Cuernavaca as there would be more work there then in a small town. I lived in Mexico City with a Mexican wife and we had a small weekend house on the Libre (free road) just entering the city. Weather is 60-70 degree all year. " City of Eternal Spring". Yes, rainy season is June/July/Aug. Wish both of you LUCK. BUENAS SUERTE. Stefhen

Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post
I have a twelve year-old stepson with chronic anxiety disorder and ADHD who misses his father and was devastated to hear that he is not coming back. I am deeply concerned about his adjustment to living in Mexico and the possible lack of good medical treatment for him there.
I haven't read many posts beyond this point, so forgive me if the below has been answered...

At this point I would think the primary concern then considering his medical needs are for the son. Regardless of whether you're the step mother or biological mother, you no doubt care a great deal about him. Is it wise to take this approach by relocating him to what is for him, a completely foreign land and totally different way of life (and as you say, perhaps an area that may not have the proper medical treatments available to him).

I'm not fully up on various immigration policies, and I realize this isn't an ideal situation, but it may be best for you and the child to remain here. If the husband returns "home" to Mexico and has to wait 10 years before returning here, can he VISIT the U.S. legally to visit his son? Can you not visit Mexico for get togethers as well? The son perhaps could spend summers in Mexico with his father? Again, no, that isn't ideal, but considering again the above medical history of the child, a move such as this may do more damage to him than simply being separated from his father.

Then as someone else said, there is always that option for the husband to just come back and stay in the U.S. illegally and hope for the best. You know, there HAVE been cases where people in local communities have rallied behind immigrants who have families via their elected officials, with positive results. If you're well known in the community via neighbors, march to your state rep's office with them and see what he/she can do about it. Most officials do not want the bad PR of not helping families in situations like this stay together. Just a thought or two.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Atlantagreg30127; Bring you a brief history. The lady is an American married to an illegal who entered the US as a littleboy with his parents from Mexico and as teenager impregnated another American girl older then him. Thus the little boy (now about 12) is still an American Citizen being born in the US. The boy has a medical problem which probably is more treatable in the US then Mexico as he is still an American via birth. The father is/has returned to Mexico (w/o visa to US). Now the wife has control of the boy in US but is NOT the LEGAL GUARDIAN (has not LEGALLY ADOPTED the boy) but still calls him her son, which is admirable but still NOT LEGAL. Based on my limited legal knowledge, I do not understand how she will be able to transport him across the INTERNATIONAL BORDER to visit his LEGAL BIOLOGICAL father in MEXICO without beening BUSTED on return to the US. The NEW PASSPORT requirements are in use. Stefhen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico