Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I first really discovered what Tijuana had to offer, and at the time, Southwest Airlines giving you a free flight for every 8 flights you took, I took 12 flights alone one year, and at the time I bought property in the south Tijuana hills to build a house, I was flying down often to consult with Arquimex, and there was the "shopping trips" to buy real estate, that accounts for a portion of it. And then there's the dental, medical and prescription trips, and trips for fun only.
TiJLover: Do you have any suggestions about how to secure a good/safe taxi from the border to a hotel in the Zona Rio? I will be walking across from San Ysidro.

I heard there has been some issues with the Yellow Taxis seeking retribution from Uber and other services (they don't like the competition). And that the City of T.J. banned the Yellow Taxis from their typical stands at the border.

Are there Taxi Libres at the border? Can they be trusted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 01:53 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
TiJLover: Do you have any suggestions about how to secure a good/safe taxi from the border to a hotel in the Zona Rio? I will be walking across from San Ysidro.

I heard there has been some issues with the Yellow Taxis seeking retribution from Uber and other services (they don't like the competition). And that the City of T.J. banned the Yellow Taxis from their typical stands at the border.

Are there Taxi Libres at the border? Can they be trusted?
Yes, there are taxi libres at the border. They all line up one by one to pick up border crosses near Super Farmacia Milenio. They are safe, I've taken them many times to Plaza Fiesta, Auditorio Municipal and Estadio Caliente. I think the Yellow taxis lost their concession and are no longer allowed to pick up in this location.

Plug in this into Google Maps to see the location.

Frontera 6, Cuauhtemoc, Tijuana, B.C., Mexico

Old 11-18-2017, 01:59 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
There are no yellow taxis at the border anymore. When you go through the turnstile, you have to go through Mexican customs, show them your passport/passport card, and tell them that you're there for tourism. After that you'll get to the X-Ray machines, and your belongings are subject to being searched.

After you take your belongings off of the conveyor belt, continue out the door, keep walking down the sidewalk to the end, and you'll come to the street where all of the taxi Libres are. There's usually someone there that will ask if you need a taxi, and will direct you to the next one in line.

When you get into the taxi, tell the driver where you want to go, and he'll take you there.

If you're just going to Zona Rio, it should cost around $5.00, and you have NOTHING to worry about.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM

^^Thanks to you both!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Yep, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I realize that tragic occurrence was a statistical outlier. Terribly tragic for that guy.

Still, I looked it up and the restaurant where that shooting occurred is only about 6 or 7 miles from the hotel we are planning to stay at (in the Zona Rio area).
Taxi Libre's are quite a bargain, but you usually have to walk quite a ways from the border crossing to find a place where you can safely hail a Taxi Libre. You may find they are easier just to take one back to the border (la linea in Spanish).

Some of the hotels in the Zona Rio can be pretty expensive. Not far from the Zona Rio is the hotel Hacienda Del Rio (one long 750' block from Paseo de Los Heroes) which is usually more reasonably priced. Rooms are priced from $85 but they are frequently can be rented at a discount if you pay at the front desk and bargain.

Ask for a room in the back as the traffic noise can be loud.
HACIENDA DEL RIO – Baja Inn Hotels

ROOMS INCLUDE • 32 inch TV • Phone • Free 100 mbps WI-FI • Air Conditioner • Hair Dryer• Iron/Ironing Table • Coffee Maker • Two 500 ml Water Bottle

The hotel is across the street from Mr. Pampas, an Argentine Churrascaria, which is like a barbecue for meat gluttons.

Tijuana is a wonderful city for dining and clubbing.

Mision 19 is probably the fanciest restaurant in Tijuana
Mision 19 in The New York Times | Mision 19

This video (in Spanish) has very nice shots of food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQDVnZqzxQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24byUbOZjiE

If you are a little more specific about goals (kinds of nightclubs and restaurants) and price range than maybe we can help you some more.

Personally, I would stay away from Zona Centro where most Gringo's go to get drunk, and stick with Mexican's. Spanish helps but is not required. I like Plaza Fiesta which has been reinvented as the go-to spot for many of Tijuana’s most celebrated craft breweries. Inside this pedestrian-only zone are tasting rooms for Insurgente, Border Psycho and many more.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 AM

It's only a few minutes walk after you get out of customs to get a taxi Libre. At the end of the sidewalk where you either go right to walk to Ave Revolution, or go straight, you just cross the street, and the taxis are right there.

And you don't hail them, there's a person with a shirt that says, "Welcome to Tijuana," and he'll ask if you want a taxi. When you say yes, he'll motion for the next taxi to drive up to you.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 AM

^Moved: Thanks. Interesting because when I was last there in 2016 I don't recall the "Welcome" person. Could have just missed him/her given it was a busy weekend day. Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I would skip the 5 dollar taxi ride from the border to the Centro area. Just hope on the buses right at the border and pay the 10 peso to Centro area. The only time I ever worry about safety is at night walking back to the border from the Zona Norte or Centro area cause its pretty deserted 15-20 min walk. Than its 5.00 cab ride time.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
^Moved: Thanks. Interesting because when I was last there in 2016 I don't recall the "Welcome" person. Could have just missed him/her given it was a busy weekend day. Thanks again!
This is just since they got rid of the yellow taxis at the border. You have to walk a little farther down the sidewalk to catch a taxi Libre.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
There are couple of really nice places to stay at in Centro, a newer 4-star hotel went up in the ritzier end of Revolution, near Sanborn's, and I usually stay at the Villa Zaragosa, which is a block north of Revolution, in that same area. For Centro, Villa Zaragosa doesn't come cheap, roughly $60 for a room, but well worth it, with spacious aisle balconies, it used to be a Best Western. It also has it's own restaurant, bar, and very quiet.

I'm intolerant of unwarranted noise, and I gave up on staying anywhere on Revolution or the near the Zona Norte area, as I need my sleep. A loud disco nearby can keep you until all hours of the night.

I've never spent a night in the Zona Rio district, that would be a new experience for me, but I still stick to Centro.

For fun and adventure, I've merely hopped on any city bus heading wherever, knowing full well the bus will eventually return to Centro, at some point in time. My last adventure on a city bus took me to the International Airport and way the hell out east to Las Mesa, and I did the turn around and it went right back to Centro.

There's also regular Van service to Rosarito via the Carretera Libre, it's a fun, interesting ride, and some of the vans go through La Gloria en route. The Vans leave every 10-15 minutes, both ways. I do miss the old Chevy station wagon rides, I wish they still had them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico