Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,768,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Mexico is spectacularly corrupt and violent, lawless and dangerous
True but it's location-specific. As people here have pointed out, places like Mexico City are *relatively* untouched by it. I have been in Puebla recently and didn't see that there was anything alarming about it. But, back in the day I used to go by road to northern Mexico (Chihuahua) which I wouldn't do anymore.

Quote:
Your odds of having something bad happen are still greater in MX than almost anywhere else.
I would agree that this is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,768,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Mexico and Latin America are at the high end, with about 90% male.
I grew up in a Chicano neighborhood in Albuquerque, and as a Hispanic male I had a substantially different (worse) experience than my sisters did. This is because males are singled out and targeted much more than females are by the bad elements that exist in those neighborhoods.

That said, though, Mexico has had a lot of problems - orders of magnitude worse than most other places in the world - with females being targets of violence. So, if that 90% number is accurate, it means that the 10% is worse than most other places, which just goes to show how bad the situation is overall.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,264,528 times
Quote:
This interesting table shows the male/female ratio of homicide victims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homici...tics_by_gender

Mexico and Latin America are at the high end, with about 90% male. I'm not an expert but this certainly suggests to me that an overwhelming number of murder vctims are doing things that men do, and it's pretty easy to guess what those are. Underworld activitiees.

In fact, Mexico ranks 58th in the world in female-victim homicide rate. Safer than Latvia.
That was 2012. This 2015 article comes to a different conclusion, and there appears to be little justice for the victims.

Six women murdered each day as femicide in Mexico nears a pandemic | Al Jazeera America

Old 01-03-2019, 06:06 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,201,472 times
Quote:
That was 2012. This 2015 article comes to a different conclusion, and there appears to be little justice for the victims.

Six women murdered each day as femicide in Mexico nears a pandemic | Al Jazeera America
My chart said 2,788. Six per day is only 2,190, in fact a significant improvement. Plugging in your new numbers, it would place Mexico more like the 80th worst instead of 58th.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,314,152 times
Sadly the numbers for Mexico increased even farther this year. Honestly I would not travel to Mexico now. Especially since it seems like the bad guys have gotten more brazen and are not against attacking tourists

Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,314,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
True but it's location-specific. As people here have pointed out, places like Mexico City are *relatively* untouched by it. I have been in Puebla recently and didn't see that there was anything alarming about it. But, back in the day I used to go by road to northern Mexico (Chihuahua) which I wouldn't do anymore.

I would agree that this is accurate.
Yeah in a country of 125 million people, there are bound to be differences. Sorta how Moscow is completely different from Chechnya, or how Shanghai is different from rural Xinjiang

Places like Aguascalientes or Yucatan still seem relatively untouched by it

Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
My chart said 2,788. Six per day is only 2,190, in fact a significant improvement. Plugging in your new numbers, it would place Mexico more like the 80th worst instead of 58th.

I dont know how much we can even trust numbers coming out of such a cesspool of corruption. I would guess the official numbers are low, because many are not reported or investigated and women often get blamed for being victims.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8574506.html

According to government statistics, there were at least 2,585 suspected murders of women last year, up from 1,755 in 2015.The largest number of victims were in the state of Mexico, the most populous region of the country. Ecatepec has become notorious as a centre of the killings.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
According to government statistics, there were at least 2,585 suspected murders of women last year, up from 1,755 in 2015.The largest number of victims were in the state of Mexico, the most populous region of the country. Ecatepec has become notorious as a centre of the killings.
Still fewer than the 2,788 in 2012. And if there is a large number in one town, a local phenomenon, that would make the average elsewhere even lower. If in your view the stats from the cesspool of corruption are unreliable, stop quoting them.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Still fewer than the 2,788 in 2012. And if there is a large number in one town, a local phenomenon, that would make the average elsewhere even lower. If in your view the stats from the cesspool of corruption are unreliable, stop quoting them.

I said I don't know if they are reliable. And now I'll say that I don't let some putz in the Phillipines tell me what to say or do.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I said I don't know if they are reliable. And now I'll say that I don't let some putz in the Phillipines tell me what to say or do.
I'n not telling anybody to do anything, but I suggest you back up your arguments with something better than
Quote:
I would guess the official numbers are low,
Be careful calling another poster a "putz". We've got a valid discussion going here -- don't get it closed.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-04-2019 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico