Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

187 posts, read 182,641 times

Advertisements

With Guatemala being the closest, and most relatable country culturally to Mexico, is annexation a possibility in the future?

I recently watched many videos on Youtube regarding this topic, and the commentators (especially Mexicans) were in favor of annexation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:25 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,914,857 times
I hope so I would like Mexico to dissolve its current government and become a absolute monarchy long live the Mexican Empire!

Old 12-28-2017, 05:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,307,806 times
I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Guatemala may have more in common culturally with southern Mexico, but it has stronger commercial, diplomatic and social ties with its central American neighbors.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 12-28-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 PM

308 posts, read 235,264 times
Why would it want to take on a country thats a LOT poorer???. Dont see it ever happening,and would bet Guatemalans wouldnt like it much either.People tend to lump all these Central American countries in together,but theyre vastly different and quite nationalistic. You only need to watch a football international!!!

Most of them also feel very overshadowed by Mexico,so i see it as a non starter

Old 12-28-2017, 06:40 PM

308 posts, read 235,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
With Guatemala being the closest, and most relatable country culturally to Mexico, is annexation a possibility in the future?

I recently watched many videos on Youtube regarding this topic, and the commentators (especially Mexicans) were in favor of annexation.
Have you got any of these videos you can put on.Id love to see Guatemalans thinking giving their country away is a good move

Old 12-29-2017, 11:03 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,216,999 times
It is easier for Guatemala to annex Chiapas than for Mexico to do so with Guatemala.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,864,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Why would it want to take on a country thats a LOT poorer???. Dont see it ever happening,and would bet Guatemalans wouldnt like it much either.People tend to lump all these Central American countries in together,but theyre vastly different and quite nationalistic. You only need to watch a football international!!!

Most of them also feel very overshadowed by Mexico,so i see it as a non starter
^^^^^^^
This. Mexico's economy is growing and there is a growing middle class. The last thing needed is to absorb a much poorer country. Plus, they are not at all the same culturally.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:41 PM

6,358 posts, read 11,804,632 times
This is about as reasonable as all the posts asking should/would/could the US annex Mexico. If you are alive for the next 10,000 years, maybe you have a shot of seeing it happen.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,304,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
There was some discussion of annexation of one country by another in the 19th century. The Dominican Republic requested to be annexed by the USA. Guatemala started out as part of Mexico for a few years in the 1820's.

But with so many extra national organizations and treaties, I don't see absorption being much of an option in the 21st century. It's too much of a hotbed for political dissent.

Now if you are talking about a currency union between Mexico and Guatemala or a military pact, then maybe you have a much better case.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,865,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There was some discussion of annexation of one country by another in the 19th century. The Dominican Republic requested to be annexed by the USA. Guatemala started out as part of Mexico for a few years in the 1820's.

But with so many extra national organizations and treaties, I don't see absorption being much of an option in the 21st century. It's too much of a hotbed for political dissent.

Now if you are talking about a currency union between Mexico and Guatemala or a military pact, then maybe you have a much better case.
I could see some sort of trade and currency union between some Mexico and Guatemala as well. Annexation, no way, not in the foreeeable future. I don’t see any military pacts either, Mexico typically stays away from any sort of military pact.

I could also see a loose union of sorts of Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Guatemala. I don’t see Costa Rica or Panama being part of it, Belize is also less likely. They would most likely form a entirely new currency or adopt the US dollar like El Salvador and Panama all ready have. I don’t see any changes in actual national borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico