Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times

Advertisements

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

TLDR: 5 states are "do not travel". Others are safer, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
These warning always increase right before Spring Breaks. It's nothing more than the US trying to scare vacationers into spending their vacation money in the US.

So predictable.

I have lived in MX since 2008.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:10 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Yeah, I wouldn't go to and city in Tamaulipas or Guerrero right now.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
We just returned from Taxco, which is in Guerrero. We walked around the town, had lunch, visited some shops and at no time did we feel unsafe.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
These warning always increase right before Spring Breaks. It's nothing more than the US trying to scare vacationers into spending their vacation money in the US.

So predictable.

I have lived in MX since 2008.
Most spring break holiday makers will go to Cancun. But there's no warning for Cancun.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel in Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Tourist areas seem to be fine.

There are no U.S. government restrictions for travel in Baja California Sur, which includes the tourist areas of Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

TLDR: 5 states are "do not travel". Others are safer, apparently.
I live in a peaceful European country. One that has had no terrorist incidents, yet I often receive fretful, mommyish warnings about the most average gatherings and holidays in the country. I think the U.S. State Dept. and the embassy people actually feel obliged to err in the direction of overwrought fusspot directives.

It inclines me to just delete them without reading because of how totally ridiculous they are. And, of course, the one day there is a real problem I could miss it because of all these "Henny Penny the sky is falling" updates that I routinely receive.

In my country at least, they need to take a massive reality check.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
I do believe there is an effort to keep us *corralled* into spending money in the US. Countries often portrayed as dangerous or really dirty:
Mexico
Russia
Brazil
Cuba
Columbia
Venezuela....though they really do seem to be having tough food and inflation problems
I expect the operation to kick into high gear regarding Japan as the Summer Olympics approach.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I do believe there is an effort to keep us *corralled* into spending money in the US. Countries often portrayed as dangerous or really dirty:
Mexico
Russia
Brazil
Cuba
Columbia
Venezuela....though they really do seem to be having tough food and inflation problems
I expect the operation to kick into high gear regarding Japan as the Summer Olympics approach.
Venezuela is pretty crappy tbh. Not a good idea to travel there right now. Had the same number of homicides as Mexico last year, but with only 1/4th of the population. Not good

The others yeah, are shameless fearmongering

Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
These do seem to be pointless "nanny state" warnings. They should just advise what their staff are limited to and leave it up to the reader to decide. Anyways there are many better places to get a safety update online than the static State Dept which as people note here does have political overtones. As in if you are a US official you'd be in a lot of trouble if the locals found out, while just an average American willing to spend some money and you will be welcomed with a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico