U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM

106 posts, read 237,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can barely stand it. The very thing about which Americans complain?immigrants to America not learning the language and assimilating into American life?Americans who move to Mexico, by and large, DO THE VERY SAME THING!

San Miguel de Allende is a case in point. Americans have invaded this small, historically significant Colonial Mexican town and refused to do the hard work of learning the language so they can assimilate into the culture. That which they expect of Mexicans coming to America to live, they do not expect of themselves.
Guess it works both ways.

Living in Mexico: San Miguel de Allende

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:18 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
Guess it works both ways.

Living in Mexico: San Miguel de Allende

I
Deport them then.

Especially if the Americans are going there to have many babies and use your hospitals and schools but expect you to pay for them. If you catch them there working illegally -- deport them, we don't care. You're not going to see millions of Americans not working out out protesting on May 1 because you didn't hand them quick citizenship for being there illegally.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:59 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
When they start demanding voting ballots in English and bilingual government documents, then I'll agree. Until then, it's not quite the same thing.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 AM

106 posts, read 237,765 times
Quote:
Is it fair, no, not fair but ethical, to demand of immigrants to America that which we, as Americans, would not demand of ourselves when and if we were to immigrate to another country? Are we being "Double Minded Gringos" to demand certain things, if you will-requirements, of Mexicans for example, when they attempt to move to our country that we wouldn't dare demand of ourselves?
“if you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk”

How To Become Mexicanized -- Isnare.com Articles

Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 AM

334 posts, read 741,414 times
Well . . . . this forum has a bunch of Mexico haters, because of their perceived difficulties with illegal Mexicans, language being one of them. I will tell you that most Mexican illegals DO speak English, at least at a basic level. They have most all had 2 years of instruction in English in school. Yes, they tend to not use it, or even try.

I am an American from the US, now living in Mexico, and I too had 2 years of Spanish in high school. For me, the instruction I received was pretty useless in Mexico, maybe I wasn't a good student. I TRY to learn more Spanish everyday (read the local newspaper with a translation dictionary at my side) and it improves little by little. I USE Spanish every opportunity I get, and hope to someday speak it better (poco a poco).

To the Topic: A Majority of the Americans and Canadians that I have known who live in Mexico DO try to learn and use some Spanish with varying degrees of success, HOWEVER there are far too many who actually think it is the Mexican's obligation to speak English, because, after all, it's "us" that bring in the $$$$!

For those who at least try Spanish (good to start with what you know, at least "Buenos Dias" and go to English when necessary) -- those who try gain the respect of the Mexican people for at least making the effort. For those others, they get no respect, and often worse, in terms of services and consideration.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 AM

291 posts, read 468,585 times
Its not necessary that the americans living in Mexico assimilates our culture, they surely appreciate it, otherwise I dont understand why they live here. They also speak the language, good or bad, but they speak spanish.

The whole note is provocative. The americans citizens are welcome to live in Mexico, since they contribute to the economy of the country. Here no body will demand them anything than to fullfill the mexican law, and in her, anything is said about assimilation, since the topic is debatible.

The mexicans already behave as americans in many cases, take a look in the big cities: Mexico, Monterrey, all the north of the country. Its only question of time so that the whole country assimilates the american lifestyle. We love american tv sitcoms, movies and clothes from US companies.

It's our it legitimates aspiration to have the level of life and similar government system to those of the united states.

If we make it who live in Mexico, its for sure that the mexicans living in the USA also make it.

Regards...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Of course! But it irritates me when any foreigners do not show respect for the people in the country they are visiting. It's easy to do, and in my experience, if you give respect and consideration to others, you'll get it back

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Of course! But it irritates me when any foreigners do not show respect for the people in the country they are visiting. It's easy to do, and in my experience, if you give respect and consideration to others, you'll get it back
I don't think anyone would disagree with that -- except you don't seem to believe that illegals in the USA should show respect for USA laws or learn the language of the USA even though they're often here having children at our expense.

Comparing illegals to tourists is absurd. No one expects Mexican tourists to learn English anymore than they expect American tourists to learn Spanish. It definitely helps the tourist "experience" if some language is learned and the tourist benefits by being able to see more of the real country and culture he is visiting.

The Americans living in Mexico are usually not being given Mexican citizenship, nor are they demanding it. They aren't demanding government services or enrolling their children into schools insisting that they be taught in English. Nor are they having big protests waving American flags and threatening they'll boycott to bring down the Mexican economy while marching in Mexican streets. If they were doing any of that, I would say they were very shameful.

All people should respect the laws of the countries they visit. All people should respect the culture of another country while they are in that country visiting and some willingness to learn the language of a country you are visiting makes your trip more meaningful, and lastly all people should respect the terms of their visa or tourist card and leave when they should.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
Its not necessary that the americans living in Mexico assimilates our culture, they surely appreciate it, otherwise I dont understand why they live here. They also speak the language, good or bad, but they speak spanish.

The whole note is provocative. The americans citizens are welcome to live in Mexico, since they contribute to the economy of the country. Here no body will demand them anything than to fullfill the mexican law, and in her, anything is said about assimilation, since the topic is debatible.

The mexicans already behave as americans in many cases, take a look in the big cities: Mexico, Monterrey, all the north of the country. Its only question of time so that the whole country assimilates the american lifestyle. We love american tv sitcoms, movies and clothes from US companies.

It's our it legitimates aspiration to have the level of life and similar government system to those of the united states.

If we make it who live in Mexico, its for sure that the mexicans living in the USA also make it.

Regards...

You're right -- this was meant to be provocative -- as are many of the pro-illegal threads. There are those who insist that some people should not respect the laws of the USA.

Wanting to immigrate legally and become a citizen of another country and become a part of it's people and adapt to it's culture is one thing. Being a tourist to another country or temporay guest but preferring to return home at some point is another thing. Breaking the laws of another country and insisting that you are not to be expected to follow the laws is another.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with that -- except you don't seem to believe that illegals in the USA should show respect for USA laws or learn the language of the USA even though they're often here having children at our expense.

The Americans living in Mexico are usually not being given Mexican citizenship, nor are they demanding it. They aren't demanding government services or enrolling their children into schools insisting that they be taught in English. Nor are they having big protests waving American flags and threatening they'll boycott to bring down the Mexican economy while marching in Mexican streets.
Wow, what a leap of faith (or is it prejudice). I am only attempting to correct misunderstandings about Mexico. I am NOT for illegals, I think there should be NONE in the US, and I KNOW it is the result of the Employers who attract them, and have for many years, possibly more than many of the posters here have lived, and it is the result of the dysfunctionality of the US Government regarding immigration. Period.

There are many many Americans who choose to obtain Mexican citizenship while lliving here. It is primarily a function of time here and applying for it. It does not result in them losing US Citizenship, it's dual. There are a large number of American families living throughout Mexico, and their children all attend school. Most children learn Spanish quickly. And Americans here DO protest various things. Locally, they petition and go to the news papers about things like potholes in the streets and other important matters.

And your statement:
"You're right -- this was meant to be provocative -- as are many of the pro-illegal threads. There are those who insist that some people should not respect the laws of the USA. "

Is absurd -- where have I EVER said, let alone insist, that anyone not respect the laws of the US, or any country. Criticize if you like, correct me if I'm wrong, but WAKE UP and quit trying to twist my posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or