U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 AM

11,573 posts, read 9,799,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc1 View Post
I was shocked by the prices as they were very close to what was being charged in the US and almost gave up going to Mexico for dental work.
Mexico is going to lose their edge some day due to their price comparisons. They're keenly aware of what the prices are across the border, and they adjust their prices to make it attractive enough, and they take advantage of the fear in the media. They know Americans, in general, are the biggest scaredy-cats on the planet, and they figure: I know these people too well, they ain't gonna travel on down to Hermosillo or Guaymas to have their dental work done for the half the price of border towns, so they think they've got a rope around your neck.

And they also think, confidantly, that scaredy-cat Americans ain't never gonna go on down to El Salvador or Guatemala to get the work done for a fraction of the price, like I've done. They think: Air fare to San Salvador or Guatemala city would turn this dental adventure into a penny-wise-dollar-foolish adventure. Unless, that is, you enjoying vacationing down there, like I do and, you know, while I'm down there.......................

Also, due to this crushing recession, if you really research your own city in the U.S., you'll find increasingly competitive rates right here at home. But you've got to do some digging, research.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-07-2011 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,521,935 times
Root canals with a crown in Mexico are about a tenth of what is charged in the U.S. unlike what a poster wrote, that U.S. prices are competitive.
Quote:
I was shocked by the prices as they were very close to what was being charged in the US and almost gave up going to Mexico for dental work.
In Texas I paid $1500 USD for a root canal and about $150 USD in Mexico for the same work.

For the same or not much more money, one can get an implant instead of a root canal and I would advise against root canals. They don't last and the tooth will have to be pulled anyway.

Doctors in Mexico are not paying high malpractice premiums and most are not trying to get wealthy in a healthcare profession. You can sue but only for actual damages and bad doctors go to prison. They are not protected and allowed to continue to maim and kill patients like they are in the U.S.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 472,403 times
[mod cut-- response to deleted posts]
There was one poster on here high_plains_retired number 108 that has a very good posting track record and recommended Washington Dental Fee Listing - Washington Dental Clinics - Dental Clinic Juarez I notice this doctor also gives you a waranty certif. for work done.

Last edited by observer53; 01-23-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM

8,797 posts, read 12,397,408 times
Here's another dentist in TJ that a friend of mine went to. She said that it cost $180 for the root canal, $140 for oral surgery, and her husband had two molars removed for $150. www.bajadentistry.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Went to see Tijuana dentists yesterday...-dentist.jpg  

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM

14,117 posts, read 17,529,432 times
Under the Terms of Service for this site, members with fewer than 10 posts may not make recommendations or post links. Please report all posts not complying with this rule, using the red triangle button in the upper right corner of the post.

Thank you!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 AM

7,415 posts, read 7,219,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
[mod cut-- response to deleted posts]
There was one poster on here high_plains_retired number 108 that has a very good posting track record and recommended Washington Dental Fee Listing - Washington Dental Clinics - Dental Clinic Juarez I notice this doctor also gives you a waranty certif. for work done.
And they stand behind their warranties. I had a rear molar cap fail two years after it was done and they re-capped it for free with a much better cap that is still in place.

I am in no means affiliated with this clinic. Years ago I used to go to a private dentist in Juarez until I found out WDC.

For the poster who asked about getting full dentures in Mexico, while I was at the WDC (probably three years ago), there was a lady from El Paso who was over 90 years old getting a full set of dentures. My wife and I spoke with her at length in the Clinic and my wife checked on her after she left to make sure she made it home safely. This lady was very happy with her new teeth.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,696 times
Default My thoughts on finding a mexican dentist

MY THOUGHTS ON FINDING A MEXICAN DENTIST

1) Recommendation, Recommendation, Recommendation! Your best bet is getting a personal recommendation from someone who has been to a particular dentist. Send out a mass e-mail to your friends or ask on your Facebook page if anyone has personal experience with a Mexican dentist. If you are embarrass about asking, then fib and claim you are asking on behalf of a friend or family member. The person who gives you a recommendation - ask what work they had done. The dentist your friend said was great might have only had a cleaning and a simple filling done which the dentist might be quite good at . . . however the dentist might not be as good with crowns or implants.

2) Do it now – stop putting it off! It’s only going to keep getting worse! Any tooth can be saved when it has a small cavity – with a simple inexpensive filling. It's when that cavity turns into a large filling that it needs a root canal/crown or gets to a point where the tooth needs to be extracted and replaced by a partial, bridge, or implant.

3) If you see any dentist review (good or bad) in any kind of public forum (e.g. travel website forum or an RV club forum page) look at the person posting and how many posts they have contributed/how long they have been a member. If their only contribution is to rave about a particular dentist be wary. Also if you see a few reviews in a row all written in the same grammatical style, be wary, it’s probably by the same person.

4) Realize that there are good dentists in the U.S. and there are bad dentist in the U.S. Likewise there are good dentists in the Mexico and there are bad dentist in the Mexico.

5) If there was a competency test and 90% of U.S. dentist score a grade of “A”, and only 80% of Mexican dentists score an “A” . . . that just means you might want to look a little longer for a Mexican dentist who did score an “A” and avoid the Mexican dentist that scored the “B” or “C”.

6) No dentist is G-d so don’t expect miracles from either a U.S. or Mexican dentist. If you have a tooth that is borderline and the choice is to try a root canal/crown or extract it . . . if you go with the root canal/crown and it fails 2 years later it is not the fault of the dentist.

7) If in doubt, start with something small (a cleaning, exam, filling) and get a sense of how well they do their work, how well they explain things, how detailed they are.

8) Prices can vary widely even in Mexico. One dentist in Los Algodones wanted $400 for a porcelain-on-metal crown, plus $25 to remove the old one, plus $10 for the temporary while another recommended dentist wanted just $180 total and that included removing the old one as well as the making a temporary.

9) If you get a recommendation for Dr ABC, make sure in advance that you will see Dr. ABC and not his associate dentist, Dr. XYZ (who may not have as much experience).

10) Finally, trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable with a particular dentist then find another – there are certainly plenty to choose from.

Last edited by rmsrmsrms; 03-25-2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: removed [CENTER][CENTER] from first line

Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,155 times
Default contact for Doctor Alejandro Lobato please

Can I get Doctor Lobato contact info please. We went to him last year for some dental work. He is great but somehow we wrote down his phone # wrong and now we don't know how to call him to set up an appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country John View Post
Sorry for the long delay.

I just completed my very extensive mouth re-tiling. I'm talking bridges and crowns on every possible location.

My total cost came in at about $6,500 because I elected to have 6 more crowns than originally scheduled. I did this for cosmetic reasons and after the old crowns were removed, I noticed a lot of bacteria under the metal base. Not good.

Anyway, my doctor is Alejandro Lobato Olvera who is located at 7th street just off Revolution. He is probably the best dentist I've been to after having been to many (all stateside) over the years.

His phone number is Mod edit: Personal Info removed use DM instead He works Saturdays, at night etc. He loves his work and he is a great guy. Speaks pretty good english and is dedicated to doing the best job he can. He has an excellent working relationship with the lab and is personally involved in your work from start to finish.

He also does his OWN dental work. One night while waiting for my temporary to come back from the lab, I heard the drill running and knowing there was nobody there but him I peeked around the corner. There he was with a mirror drilling into one of his molars preparing for a filling. Amazing guy.

Dental work is painful. Expect some. Especially those shots to the upper pallet. But it only lasts a short time.

Extensive rework is exhaustive. I had several appointments spending 8 hours in the chair.

I had 19 crowns and two bridges for a complete re-work. I'm glad I found this guy. He is serious about his work, loves to chat, takes credit cards, is flexible, and most of all, he is a very nice guy.

I would not hesitate to recommend him as a safe, competent and very skilled dentist who wants to get the job done. It took one month to do the job. Mostly weekends with three weekday appointments. You get very nicely done temporaries immediately while you wait and the porcelain work takes a few days. He checks the un-glazed porcelain then sends it to the lab to be glazed while you wait once everything is OK. He does implants as well but that's a bit too rich for my blood.

Feel free to ask any questions, i'd be glad to answer them if possible. Here's an image of Dr. Alejandro. This was shot through my lab set. You'll like him and I think you'll be impressed with his style. He's all business and will do anything to make sure you're happy.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,900 times
Hello. I read your posting about DR Avila office. Will you please tell me if you were a little concerned to travel there by car? I mean were't you scared to go to Tijuana? What\s the best way to get to the office? Is it safe to travel by car there?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,234,684 times
I've heard nothing but very good things about this dentist. Many Americans from San Diego go there.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico