Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509er View Post
Unfortunately, it's not a car or boat you are buying when you see an American Dr. or Dentist. It's their med mal insurance premiums.
This is a lie. Dentists do not pay high malpractice insurance. Most general dentists pay less than 10,000 dollars for malpractice insurance and most of the ones I know personally pay around 6K which is nothing compared to what physicians pay. Physicians on the other hand do pay high malpractice premiums. Surgeons can pay up to 200K in malpractice insurnace and most OBGYNs pay between 50K to 100K. Even a regular family practice doctor or general internist will pay at least 25K for malpractice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I am waiting. Need extensive work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country John View Post
I'll post a comprehensive report later, later, but on Saturday August 15th, I have my final appointment with my doctor in TJ for installation of crowns and bridges covering my entire upper and lower mouth. Yup, the whole shebang. These will be porcelain over base metal etc.

A very informative and educational experience. He had to un-do several serious mistakes made by my State-side Doctor. Three of these mistakes led to root canals.

I've had a lot of work done State-side. Lots. Most of it was corrected here in TJ however. I'll post everything, prices, xrays, before and after (scary stuff) pics etc. So stay tuned.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM

15 posts, read 89,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I am waiting. Need extensive work.

Sorry for the long delay.

I just completed my very extensive mouth re-tiling. I'm talking bridges and crowns on every possible location.

My total cost came in at about $6,500 because I elected to have 6 more crowns than originally scheduled. I did this for cosmetic reasons and after the old crowns were removed, I noticed a lot of bacteria under the metal base. Not good.

Anyway, my doctor is Alejandro Lobato Olvera who is located at 7th street just off Revolution. He is probably the best dentist I've been to after having been to many (all stateside) over the years.

His phone number is Mod edit: Personal Info removed use DM instead He works Saturdays, at night etc. He loves his work and he is a great guy. Speaks pretty good english and is dedicated to doing the best job he can. He has an excellent working relationship with the lab and is personally involved in your work from start to finish.

He also does his OWN dental work. One night while waiting for my temporary to come back from the lab, I heard the drill running and knowing there was nobody there but him I peeked around the corner. There he was with a mirror drilling into one of his molars preparing for a filling. Amazing guy.

Dental work is painful. Expect some. Especially those shots to the upper pallet. But it only lasts a short time.

Extensive rework is exhaustive. I had several appointments spending 8 hours in the chair.

I had 19 crowns and two bridges for a complete re-work. I'm glad I found this guy. He is serious about his work, loves to chat, takes credit cards, is flexible, and most of all, he is a very nice guy.

I would not hesitate to recommend him as a safe, competent and very skilled dentist who wants to get the job done. It took one month to do the job. Mostly weekends with three weekday appointments. You get very nicely done temporaries immediately while you wait and the porcelain work takes a few days. He checks the un-glazed porcelain then sends it to the lab to be glazed while you wait once everything is OK. He does implants as well but that's a bit too rich for my blood.

Feel free to ask any questions, i'd be glad to answer them if possible. Here's an image of Dr. Alejandro. This was shot through my lab set. You'll like him and I think you'll be impressed with his style. He's all business and will do anything to make sure you're happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Went to see Tijuana Dentist, Dentists yesterday...-hbcamera-031.jpg  

Last edited by Travelling fella; 08-31-2009 at 08:28 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
^ You lost a little bit of credibility there John. Because of the picture.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 25,414 times
Default Tijuana dentist - recommendation please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
When he finished (it only took about 30 minutes) he handed me a mirror- and it was great! I couldn't believe it. Dr. Torres had said he would only bond one side because it would look bulky but Dr Avila had bonded both sides and it looked great! He charged me $50.00. In theory I should hold it against him that he moved so quickly without understanding I was just there for a consultation but he did it so well and I'm so pleased that I'm going to go to him to get my crown done and my son's bonding. My son wants Dr Torres to do his veneers but I'll decide after we see Dr Avila again. My appt for my crown is the May 13th.
Hi Laysayfair,

Did you get the crown from Dr. Avila last year? If so, how is your crown today? Now that it is a little over a year later, are you satisfied with the work? Does food get caught between the crown & gums? Do you have any discomfort after eating? (I have a 1 yr old crown that came out when I was flossing.)

Also, how is that bonded tooth?

Do you recommend Dr. Avila? What was your experience like? I need to have I have a ton of work done, so any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Innadreme

Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 25,414 times
Default Tijuana dentist - recommendation please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country John View Post
Sorry for the long delay.

I just completed my very extensive mouth re-tiling. I'm talking bridges and crowns on every possible location.

My total cost came in at about $6,500 because I elected to have 6 more crowns than originally scheduled.

Feel free to ask any questions, i'd be glad to answer them if possible.

Hi Country John,

Do you live in So Cal? Or did you travle there for the dental work? How many days did all of the work take?

Besides the shots to numb, what else was painful?

Do you have any discomfort today? After eating does food get caught between the crowns and the gums? How is flossing?

Do you have any problems with any of the dental work? Are there any sharp edges? Does your bite feel "normal?"

I live on the East Coast, and I'm thinking of traveling to Mexico for the dental work.

Any input would be mch appreciated!

Thanks,
Innadreme

Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 12,705 times
Quote:
My son and I drove to Tijuana yesterday to consult with three different dentist about veneers for him and bonding for me. I saw Dr. Billy Bartel, Dr. Torres at Pacific Dental and Dr Avila in Rosarito Beach. It took a lot of internet research to get it narrowed down to those three. I don't want to do a big report if no one is interested but if you are just let me know on this thread and I'll be happy to go thru my experiences for you.
Hi, I would be very interested as I'm contemplating the same type of thing. How did you go about finding a good dentist.
Awaiting your reply,
Thanks, Dino77

Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM

15 posts, read 89,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
^ You lost a little bit of credibility there John. Because of the picture.
I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. The photo is for his website that is being developed. Explain your comment please.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 31,568 times
Quote:
My son and I drove to Tijuana yesterday to consult with three different dentist about veneers for him and bonding for me. I saw Dr. Billy Bartel, Dr. Torres at Pacific Dental and Dr Avila in Rosarito Beach. It took a lot of internet research to get it narrowed down to those three. I don't want to do a big report if no one is interested but if you are just let me know on this thread and I'll be happy to go thru my experiences for you.
Hello,
I have been looking online for dentist in Tijuana account of I lost my front tooth crown while swimming! Here in the states it is not cheap to have it replaced! I was told to go to Tijuana and trying to find a very reasonable dentist, I'm attending CSULA and I'm on a very tight budget since tuition has gone up! Any information would be appriciated!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,700 times
Default Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahiss View Post
Hello everyone, well I am back from my last appointment with Dr. torres from Pacific Dental Tijuana, and I had my veneers glued in today and I love them, actually 2 of them are Lumineers, my new smile looks so natural and nobody can tell they are porcelain, I already ask all my friends how they look? and they could not tell, they look so natural, i am very happy !!! Actually my friend Itzel is doing her veneers with Dr. Torres too. I will be posting my pictures soon for everyone to see. I just want to thank everyone here for all the information that help me pick the right doctor. If anybody wants me to give you Dr. T information please email me I can give you the email and his website.
Hi! I am going to see Dr. Torres in a couple of days for an evaluation. How did everything go for you? I need 10 veneers to replace the 6 old ones I currently have.

How was your final result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico