Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, I considered moving to Mexico as a US expat. I spent about 6 months checking out all the pros and cons of moving to Mexico. During that period of time, I watched the value of the USD slide in relation to the MXN Peso. During the summer of 2007, the USD was trading at around MXN11.6 to USD1.00, today I checked the currency value and it was MXN10.40 to the USDollar. So in one year's time, the value of the USD has fallen 10% against the MXN Peso. The slide of the USD and the availability of cost-effective health insurance were the deciding factors against moving to Mexico. I would like to get an idea of how US expats, especially those that have moved to Mexico within the past year, are reacting to the slide of the USD and how it affects their living situation in Mexico. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
There is NO CONSTANT number in the exchange rate between the US and Mexico. Living in Baja the numbers will vary depending on where you are and what you are purchasing. Where I'm at Pemex gas is P10.0 to $1.00, at the border it can be P11.0 to the $1.00. hear again depending on what you are buying. Grocery mkt chain P10.40 to $1.00. Independent retailers will vary their exchange dollar rates depending on the dealers needs. Exchange rate is not going to be overly one sided. As the rate goes, so does the price increase goes, never drops downwards. Been here 12 yrs and I go with the flow. Steve

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There is NO CONSTANT number in the exchange rate between the US and Mexico. Living in Baja the numbers will vary depending on where you are and what you are purchasing. Where I'm at Pemex gas is P10.0 to $1.00, at the border it can be P11.0 to the $1.00. hear again depending on what you are buying. Grocery mkt chain P10.40 to $1.00. Independent retailers will vary their exchange dollar rates depending on the dealers needs. Exchange rate is not going to be overly one sided. As the rate goes, so does the price increase goes, never drops downwards. Been here 12 yrs and I go with the flow. Steve
Thanks! Sounds like the "street value" of the USD determines the exchange rate, rather than the "official" exchange rate.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
About a year ago, I considered moving to Mexico as a US expat. I spent about 6 months checking out all the pros and cons of moving to Mexico. During that period of time, I watched the value of the USD slide in relation to the MXN Peso. During the summer of 2007, the USD was trading at around MXN11.6 to USD1.00, today I checked the currency value and it was MXN10.40 to the USDollar. So in one year's time, the value of the USD has fallen 10% against the MXN Peso. The slide of the USD and the availability of cost-effective health insurance were the deciding factors against moving to Mexico. I would like to get an idea of how US expats, especially those that have moved to Mexico within the past year, are reacting to the slide of the USD and how it affects their living situation in Mexico. Thanks!
YOU were thinking of moving to Mexico? Honestly based on some of the threads you have started that depict serious problems towards hispanic, I just couldn't see why you would want to live there amongst nothing but hispanics.

Like this one:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...hits-45-a.html

Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
YOU were thinking of moving to Mexico? Honestly based on some of the threads you have started that depict serious problems towards hispanic, I just couldn't see why you would want to live there amongst nothing but hispanics.

Like this one:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...hits-45-a.html
Actually, I have no problem living among Spanish speaking persons (Latinos/Hispanics), I've been studying Spanish for the past 2 1/2 years. My thread was a "rhetorical" post designed to generate interest in the rise of the Spanish speaking population in the US, certainly not to denigrate Spanish speaking persons. The 2 factors that prevented me from planning a move to Mexico, were the sliding value of the US Dollar versus the Mexican Peso, and the unavailability of reasonably priced health insurance for a non-citizen (ex-patriat) in Mexico. I am now planning a move to New Mexico around 2011 which has a 44% Spanish speaking population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico