Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The brown Mexicans receive many blows from their (mostly) White elite within their own country.
Oh yes! sad but true... maybe they liked that, they still vote for the PRI, PRD and PAN... When you will see a brown president? None since Juarez....

Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sometimes the truth is ugly...sobering thought don't ya think. Antisemtic sentiments within the elite classes of the Latin American culture are fairly strong. Sad but true.
sometimes people like to live in delusion I guess all of you have lived in Mexico, know Mexico have relatives in Mexico and speak to Jews who live in Mexico.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
sometimes people like to live in delusion I guess all of you have lived in Mexico, know Mexico have relatives in Mexico and speak to Jews who live in Mexico.
Anti-semitism is pretty strong here in Oaxaca- but that's mostly because most people don't know any Jews. I got some, well, *interesting* comments when my host family found out I was Jewish. Another girl on my program's "mom" told her that Jews don't live in Oaxaca because it's too poor.

But, I just spent a great Sunday strolling around the Polanco part of Mexico City which has a large Orthodox population, and the Jews and nonJews got along fine. I was with my Mexican friend who is not Jewish, but went to school and dated many Jewish girls. His brother is dating a girl who comes from the American Mennonite population in Chijuajua and his mom is dating a Lebanese man. Obviously prejudices due to the various religious and ethnic backgrounds in Mexico are not an all encompassing, all stretching thing.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Maybe is because the jews in mexico are a close community...
Like any other group of people, those that are first generation tend to stay close to their community and follow their own traditions. The longer they stay, and the more generations, they tend to mix with the rest of the people. I have a few friends that are Mexican born "mestizas" with Jewish blood and believes.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM

22 posts, read 74,978 times
i am irish mexican, but i need to understand what is estimated population of irish in mexico can somebody explain? i read 200,000 but im not sure. thanks.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Oh yes! sad but true... maybe they liked that, they still vote for the PRI, PRD and PAN... When you will see a brown president? None since Juarez....
Porfirio Diaz? He was since Benito Juarez.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
^^^

He was also a quarter Japanese

I read it somewhere legit, but I forget

His father was european, but his mother's father was japanese

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,812 times
Why the hell are 47% of Mexicans in the U.S classified as White when only 9% of Mexicans in Mexico are classified as White ?
White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Dont know exactly why that is but this may be a clue. Back in the day when the west was new territory of the U.S., most Mexicans were documented as white and it was to differentiate between blacks who at that time were still segregated. At least that is what I was told in my history class.

When I was born, no matter how much my parents fought to change my birth certificate, they were not sucessful. It still says I am "white". Go figure why the government would do that.

Also, in some of the ethnic surveys you see in most government forms they separate color very clear by either Native American, Hispanic of "spanish origin (in other words white) or Black. In Mexico the two major groups are Indigenous and Spanish. Native American is not a term recognized by Mexico and even those that do have indigenous roots have for the most part lost the culture. Hence, they mark Hispanic...which makes them white.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Why the hell are 47% of Mexicans in the U.S classified as White when only 9% of Mexicans in Mexico are classified as White ?
White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You might enjoy this website: The Hispanic Myth Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico