U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM
 
47 posts, read 107,625 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Luna is also a Romanian word.
Your point being? I didn't see Romania mentioned anywhere, did I not go far back enough in this thread?

 
Unread 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
 
127 posts, read 344,965 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't be so sure....he COULD just as easily pass for a Portuguese/ Nahuatl mix...these things can get complicated....
Just as a FYI: Náhuatl is a dialect, not a race / tribe / etc.

It´s good to know that there are people on this forum who never visited Mexico but still know more about Us than Us.

Did I make sense? Neither do they nor this thread.
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 9,750,250 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
Just as a FYI: Náhuatl is a dialect, not a race / tribe / etc.

It´s good to know that there are people on this forum who never visited Mexico but still know more about Us than Us.

.
I hardly find this surprising....some of the greatest experts on Egyptian history are not Egyptians themselves; Some of the greatest experts on astronomy have never left the earth; many of our recognized authorities on the "problems of poverty in the inner city" live in affluent, gated communities....

Many recognized experts in the field of alcoholism never touch a drink themselves...and many of the most outspoken critics of the failed policies of the US live in Europe and the Middle East...and we can have a "Commander in Chief" of the US Armed Forces who's never worn a uniform.

Why shouldn't many of the greatest "experts" on Mexico and its culture be those who've never been there...or even MET a Mexican? Maybe that way, they avoid any 'preconceived notions'.
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
22,453 posts, read 17,386,400 times
Reputation: 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobellaxx View Post
Luna is also an Italian word
Yes, doesn't it mean "moon" like in Spanish?

I was going to mention Romanian too but was not sure of that word's presence there.
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
22,453 posts, read 17,386,400 times
Reputation: 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
Just as a FYI: Náhuatl is a dialect, not a race / tribe / etc.

It´s good to know that there are people on this forum who never visited Mexico but still know more about Us than Us.

Did I make sense? Neither do they nor this thread.

Is it a dialect or a language?
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
 
14,756 posts, read 12,288,120 times
Reputation: 8012
In general, white Spaniards are easier to deal with. Sorry. Let me explain what I mean. Say you're on LA and you run into someone vacationing from Argentina and you engage them in Spanish. They are more than happy to speak to you in Spanish, even when they can speak English. (My Spanish is nearly fluent, and not the 5 phrases you learn in H.S.). On the other hand, you are in LA and you interact with a (more indigenous looking) Mexican in a restaurant or hotel. Again, you engage them in Spanish. It is good Spanish. The Mexican feels patronized. Why? My Spanish is very good. Are you ashamed of your heritage? Similarly, the Cuban in Miami will process your interaction just like the person from Argentina. They will be ecstatic to speak Spanish with you. Therefore, it's just EASIER and less of a mind-f*** to deal with "EuroLatinos."
 
Unread 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
 
127 posts, read 344,965 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Is it a dialect or a language?
Got me there. Nahuatl is a languaje.

Cheers
 
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles California
10,003 posts, read 7,986,701 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
In general, white Spaniards are easier to deal with. Sorry. Let me explain what I mean. Say you're on LA and you run into someone vacationing from Argentina and you engage them in Spanish. They are more than happy to speak to you in Spanish, even when they can speak English. (My Spanish is nearly fluent, and not the 5 phrases you learn in H.S.). On the other hand, you are in LA and you interact with a (more indigenous looking) Mexican in a restaurant or hotel. Again, you engage them in Spanish. It is good Spanish. The Mexican feels patronized. Why? My Spanish is very good. Are you ashamed of your heritage? Similarly, the Cuban in Miami will process your interaction just like the person from Argentina. They will be ecstatic to speak Spanish with you. Therefore, it's just EASIER and less of a mind-f*** to deal with "EuroLatinos."
that has NEVER been my experience in conversing with more indigenous spanish speakers. they have seemed to be more comfortable when i spoke spanish with them, just as any other spanish speaker. i don't agree at all your comments and assumption that a mexican is somehow ashamed of his heritage.
 
Unread 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,163 posts, read 7,253,767 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
that has NEVER been my experience in conversing with more indigenous spanish speakers. they have seemed to be more comfortable when i spoke spanish with them, just as any other spanish speaker. i don't agree at all your comments and assumption that a mexican is somehow ashamed of his heritage.
I agree, I mean I don't have any problem speaking in english, or portuguese, but if someone comes and talks to me in spanish I'll be flattered
 
Unread 12-16-2008, 02:27 AM
 
2,383 posts, read 2,878,909 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Is it a dialect or a language?
It is both


Mesoamerican languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top