Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
In fact the story of Emperor Maximilian is in Mexico textbooks.

Of course there is the version of the winner, in this case President Juarez. Although always said that the intentions were good Maximilian, the invader will be a stigma in the nation's history that actually what he wanted was to annex the republic to France as a colony.

In fact recently there a book on very good parts of this story that are not counted, the book is called: The other history of Mexico: Juarez and Maximilian from Armando Fuentes Aguirre, I recommend you.

Regards!
Thank you for info on the other book! I'll try to find it. The history of your country is complex and so fascinating. Reading more about it naturally helps one better understand current events. An excellent,in-depth book I really enjoyed by a New York Times reporter is called 'Distant Neighbors' and details the political and cultural history of your country.. It also helped identify historical reasons for the 'mordita' system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
most mexican dont realize they are actually meztisos(from european descendancy and aztec or mayan ancestry) i was born in mex but im half portuguese half spanish and some aztec i guess i grew up there untill i was 17 then i came to usa bymyself and asimilated the culture i love mex but i really think the american way is the right way im only 22 now and ive learned alot i cant wait to see all the things i will learn from this great country though american ppl should be more welcoming with the mex some r still very racist i guess yeah mex would probably be a better country if taken over by the usa they had a much better plan the founding fathers and well u know the whole history of the us..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarverdoza View Post
most mexican dont realize they are actually meztisos(from european descendancy and aztec or mayan ancestry) i was born in mex but im half portuguese half spanish and some aztec i guess i grew up there untill i was 17 then i came to usa bymyself and asimilated the culture i love mex but i really think the american way is the right way im only 22 now and ive learned alot i cant wait to see all the things i will learn from this great country though american ppl should be more welcoming with the mex some r still very racist i guess yeah mex would probably be a better country if taken over by the usa they had a much better plan the founding fathers and well u know the whole history of the us..
I completely and respectfully disagree with you, it is good that you like the USA, and it is good that you want to become a part of it, because that's the right attitude to have when emigrating somewhere else.

But to say that Mexico will be better of if it was a part of the USA, I respect your opinion, but for me Mexico is one of the most awesome countries just like it is, it would break my heart to have another USA instead of having our beautiful Mexico, and good ol' USA as our neighboor, It is no mistake that both countries are neighboors, because one has what the other lacks.

regards

Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM

141 posts, read 287,307 times
It's funny when people talk about texas, they forget that many of those fighting for independence were tejanos- ethnic mexicans that lived in the area known as texas (for which it is named)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 PM

74 posts, read 284,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One thing that is overlooked it Guatemala was also part of post 1821 Mexico-----yet, few Mexicans want that place back.

Face it: if our Southwest had became an independent 'Hispanic' nation after 1848 vs. being annexed to the USA-------I doubt that Mexico would want it back either.
Old post. Answer turned out kind of long.

In commenting on Guatemala, Guatemala has generally been independent of Mexico.

Quote:
The Captaincy General of Guatemala, also known as the Kingdom of Guatemala, was an administrative division in Spanish America which covered much of Central America, including what are now Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, and the Mexican state of Chiapas. The governor-captain general was also president of the Audiencia of Guatemala.
Quote:
Officially, the Captaincy was part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain and therefore under the supervision of the Spanish viceroy in Mexico City. It was, however, administered not by the viceroy or his deputies, but by an independently appointed Captain General headquartered first in Antigua Guatemala and later in Guatemala City.
Which means the Captain General of Guatemala who was also head of the regional military could deal directly with the king of Spain thus side-stepping the Viceroy of New Spain in Mexico City.

For Central America
Quote:
Independence was short-lived, for the conservative leaders in Guatemala welcomed annexation by the First Mexican Empire of Agustín de Iturbide on 5 January 1822. Central American liberals objected to this, but an army from Mexico under General Vicente Filisola occupied Guatemala City and quelled dissent.

When Mexico became a republic the following year, it acknowledged Central America's right to determine its own destiny. On 1 July 1823, the congress of Central America declared absolute independence from Spain, Mexico, and any other foreign nation, including North America and a Republican system of government was established.
So Guatemala was tied to the Empire of Mexico for less then two years.

Should mention that Yucatan was also not part of Mexico and was its own Captaincy General or Kingdom under Spanish rule. It was even a republic for 6 years.

Yucatan today could have been US territory. Seems the leaders of Yucatan were fighting the Mayan natives and losing so they asked for help from the US and Europe. If they were helped then they could annex them. But US and Europe turned them down. So Yucatan which had once been annexed to Mexico but had separated was forced to ask Mexico to save them from the Mayan natives.

Read this: Republic of Yucatán - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chiapas elected to become part of Mexico when Mexico became a Republic. Exception being the SE part of Chiapas which years later was annexed from the Republic of Los Altos. Los Altos was a Central American republic stuck between Chiapas Mexico and Guatemala. It had gained Independence from Guatemala officially in 1838. It did not last long. Most of NW Guatemala use to be Los Altos.
Read this: Los Altos, Central America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Guatemala and the other Central American provinces united with the Empire of Mexico for less then two years. The only exception was El Salvador which did not want to unite with the Mexican Empire and resisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico