Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A term I've been hearing lately -- used by hispanics to describe themselves is "Old World Hispanic" or they'll say they have the manners of an "old world hispanic". I'm not sure what exactly is meant by that, I assume they are implying something along the lines of this thread.

Maybe some of it is somewhat like "old money" versus "new money" which we see here. The people who flash their wealth and themselves might be those who recently came into it?
I've never heard anyone in Mexico refer to them as Old world hispanic, or new world hispanic for that matter, at least in Mexico someone who did that would be the laugh of everybody.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM

291 posts, read 647,916 times
jajaja, old world spanic? where you have heard that definition?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I've never heard anyone in Mexico refer to them as Old world hispanic, or new world hispanic for that matter, at least in Mexico someone who did that would be the laugh of everybody.
I've heard Mexicans in the USA or at least hispanics of Mexican ancestry do just that. I didn't say I ever saw this in Mexico. I actually don't know but it seems that it is people who aren't actually from Mexico but whose ancestry goes back to Spanish settlers who came to what is now part of the USA.

I'm not really sure what is meant by it, but I think they are saying something about the culture they hold. I think some might just be looking for a term that describes themselves better. I've heard Spanish-American and Spanish-Indian-American used by people from New Mexico and of course Tejano by people from Texas.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
jajaja, old world spanic? where you have heard that definition?
I didn't say I heard it in Mexico -- I *think* it refers to people who have Spanish ancestry but aren't from a Latin American nation although I'm not sure. There are some "hispanic" people here who have more the traditions and culture of old Spain -- meaning their families originated from there but long ago. Again I'm not really sure what it means but that's true of most of the labels in use.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
There are two uses of that phrase that I know:

1) Hispanics from established families (read: almost always upper class and of unmixed European origin) who want to distinguish themselves from middle income and upper middle income Hispanics who are flashy with their new money.

2) Literally speaking, Hispanics from Spain (or whose family immigrated within the last couple generations from Spain to Latin America and still consider themselves "Spanish-Mexican" or "Spanish-Venezuelan," etc.) Contrast this to "New World Hispanics" who have little connection to Spain and are removed several generations from the Iberian peninsula.

Thanks -- that would be the other way I would take it to mean. It has to mean some connection with Spain.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,887 times
It's just a cultural thing, I guess. Whenever I go to Mexico or Colombia for family reunions and whatnot, I find the ambiance a bit overwhelming. In turn, people make me out to be kind of arrogant and cold; Latin Americans are just much more extraverted.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Mexico City (and most Latin American/European capitals) are very populated cities. You have to yell to be heard over the traffic and other noise. I guess they get used to that. When you live in the suburbs and in your car, you can speak softly and be heard. Different cultures. New Yorkers are also very loud.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Mexico City (and most Latin American/European capitals) are very populated cities. You have to yell to be heard over the traffic and other noise. I guess they get used to that. When you live in the suburbs and in your car, you can speak softly and be heard. Different cultures. New Yorkers are also very loud.
Indeed, with over 8.9 million people in one city, and a myriad of taxis, buses, cars, etc., making noise, yes, New Yorkers "have to yell to be heard over the traffic and other noises." Just like you said it.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 AM

597 posts, read 1,297,964 times
Because we love the life. We celebrate each day our lifes.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 62,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Lack of real sophistication and class. Happens out west too, not just with Mexicans. I used to work in Maryland as a software engineer. Very professional environment. Everyone dressed professionally, spoke softly about technical matters. Fast forward to silicon valley. Engineers dress like slobs, talk loudly about damn near everything. Rather than speaking softly in a private conversation about technical issues, these yahoos make it a public conversation, talking loudly enough so everyone in the room can hear. Very annoying. I attribute it to lack of real class, no poise, and no tact.
Somebody with real class and sophistication would never make a low class post like this one. People with real class stay away from insulting people with different nationalities to their own and they never put down any other culture the way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico