Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Sad_Angel,

This is why I suggest you call a Mexican Consulate in the US. They are not going to care, for one. Two, they cannot/will not attempt to find out who you are, or where you are. For all they know, you are in the US, or heck, Switzerland. They do, however, face similar situations day in and day out in the US, because let's face it, there are many illegal immigrants in the US from Mexico, and other countries. The Mexican Consulate's sole purpose is to help Mexican citizens, which you clearly are. I'd suggest you take advange of the help.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Sad_Angel,

This is why I suggest you call a Mexican Consulate in the US. They are not going to care, for one. Two, they cannot/will not attempt to find out who you are, or where you are. For all they know, you are in the US, or heck, Switzerland. They do, however, face similar situations day in and day out in the US, because let's face it, there are many illegal immigrants in the US from Mexico, and other countries. The Mexican Consulate's sole purpose is to help Mexican citizens, which you clearly are. I'd suggest you take advange of the help.

Regards
I agree 100% with this post, I once had an accident in brazil, and I ended in a hospital.

My family was desperate and called the Embassy, they made contact with the consul who went to see me at the hospital, he told me that everything I needed I could count with him, the embassy paid for some blood tests and the fees of the doctor who attended me.

Love and Light!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Sad_angel,

I was at the Mexican Consulate's office in Houston this morning, my mom had a document with her name incorrectly mispelled. We both learned that when a woman's husband dies in Mexico, her name automatically, and legally reverts back to her maiden name. My father passed away many years ago and she recently needed to update her records in Mexico. She had to reclaim her citizenship as she was naturalized in the US in 1970, so that I could claim my Mexican citizenship. Well, that's not why I post.

While waiting there, I went up to he Visa counter and asked about someone in your situation, I told them that you were a citizen of both countres, and your husband was in Mexico illegally. BTW, don't always take the word 'illegally' to say you broke the law, the truth, he is not supposed to be there without papers, so its considered illegal.

He said your best option is going to be to petition for Mexican citizenship for him at the local Civil Registry office in Mexico since you are married, and pay a fine. You would have to show a legal marriage license, his birth certificate as well as yours, etc. So it's not free, but not to cost thousands of dollars either. The agent did not say what that fine is, but called it small.

However, the agent also said that just like in the US, he is going to have a problem getting any kind of visa, even a tourist visa, without a document from his original country. He must have a document from his country, regardless if he has a valid passport from his country, that shows that he is traveling.

The agent said he's going to have to get something issued from his country's emabassy, or consulate. This is why I, and others, have said that since you are a US citizen, you should arrange these matters in the US. But the problem you have is he won't be allowed in the US, or even to return to Mexico, so what to do?

You have to travel to a big city where his country of origin has a consulate, or embassy (Mexico, DF?). They will be better able to assist him since that's what consulates do. If his country can give him a document, then he can get a visa from Mexico, then you can petition to get him a more permanent type visa, if you do not want citizenship for him.

So my advice now would be for your husband to call the embassy of his country in DF, talk to them and see what they say. Again, they will not look for you, or track you down, not a foreign country.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 31,208 times
thank you very much for your concerns i really appreciate it alot but i am not sure about this last post . can you please explain more? do you mean that he have to leave mexico and get the visa in his home country or what? and what do you mean documents? he has his passport from his home country and his B.C as well and the calif D.L and his ss card and he also has a police clearence from his home country . do you think this is enough? but not sure what you meant exactly! does he have to leave mexico or we can just take care of it while hes in mexico? thank you very much

Old 08-13-2008, 05:37 PM

ok here is the setuation, he doesn't really care about work permet neither i , i am trying to bring him back to united states and i have filed for him but in order to able to process from mexico he must have some kind of a legal status( citizen,PR status,tourist visa) they told me that if he can get any kind of ststus then he will be allowed to process from mexico and thats what this whole thing is about ,just to get him whatever status

Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Sad_Angel,

I have to go back to the consulate tomorrow to pick up the new documents for my mother. While there, I will ask again for an explanation, if they give me one. The person I talked to today worked in the office where they issue Visas. The woman I speak with tomorrow works in the office where people claim citizenship, so she may not have all the answers.

In any case, the man in the Visa office told me he could not give me any "legal" advice, because it could be misinterpreted, so I understand his point. However, he said "if" he had to tell me anything, he would say that it is going to be difficult for him to get a Visa from the Mexican authorities. The agent said he really needs to get a document from his country that shows he is visiting, or something. He said the best way for him to do that is for him to go back to his country, which I know is not possible for you to setup. He said the other option is to go to the embassy of his country. In your case, he would most likely have to go to his embassy, or consulate in DF. Go to the consulate/embassy of his country, explain the situation and see what the consulate/embassy can do for him.

All consulates/embassies are there for this reason, to protect and counsel their citizens living abroad and look out for their interests. I would think that his country would give him an exit visa from his country, then from there, you can do what you need to do.

Anyway, the woman I worked with last month to get my Mexican citizenship was very helpful to me, didn't make me wait in lines, gave me her direct number, etc. even though there are literally hundreds of people waiting each day to see her. After I got my citizenship and Mexican passport, I gave her a $50.00US gift card to show my appreciation, so I think she might give me better answers. We'll see.

I'm going to be at the consulate anyway, so I don't mind asking for you, however, my sentiments are still the same as I stated in my original post. I realize it is not easy, and you live in fear somewhat of your husband being detained, but these are the consequences for not doing the right thing. Whatever happens, you must take action, the longer it goes on like this, the less sympathy you will get from any authority that detains him, whether Mexico, or the US, should he get caught. Also, I don't want to be the one responsible for getting your hopes up too high should things not work out.

I'll post again tomorrow afternoon after I visit the consulate with any news, but I can't guarantee that they will take my questions.

Regards

Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 AM

thank you very much and i really really appreciate it alot and god bless you for doing this for me . i can't wait for the answer and can you please mention that when he entered the first time that he was still green card holder . bcoz it makes different if he was illegal ,just like in the u.s , people who entered legally and over stayed can adjust their status but not the illegals. thank you again and plz find out for me if there is anyway that he can get whatever status without leaving the country. thank you very much

Old 08-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Some numbers for you to call...

Sad_Angel,

Okay, I was able to spend about 20 minutes at the consulate's office discussing your situaition with someone in the visa department. The woman I spoke to was not too sure, so she got on the phone and spoke to someone who worked on immigration issues and relayed the information.

The immigration agent wanted to know how long it's been since your husband's US green card expired. Based on your posts, I said about 1 to 2 years. The agent said that was too long, and I know you don't want to hear it again, but the agent said you should not have let this happen, and said that if your husband was out of the US for more than 6 months, he should have made other arrangements to be in Mexico.

The agent also said that if it was only one month, or sometimes even two months expired at the most, your husband could have simply said he forgot about the time period, and they would be able to make an exception and give him status. Unfortunately, since it has been over a year, that it was going to be very difficult, if not impossible in Mexico.

Here is what surprised me, not the message, but the fact that the immigration agent said the same thing I and others have said, and that is, the agent said that you would be better of sorting out all of this in the US. However, the agent understood that you most likely cannot afford to just move to the US, but then asked if your husband had any family in the US, I told her didn't know, of course. So then she asked if you had any family, and again, I said I do not know.

So the agent went on to say that if he has any family here in the US, he should consider coming to their city, staying with them while this is sorted out, and then using their address as a permanent address for his green card. One of the provisions of getting a US green card is that you have a permanent residence in the US. She said many people from Mexico do this, they use their family's US address, but live in Mexico. I don't approve of this practice myself, but it is all perfectly legal. More abuse is more like it.

The agent told me there are lawyers here in the US who do this on a pro bono (free) basis for illegal immigrants who are in the same situation. She suggested that you call one of these organizations. She gave me a small stack of papers about it, but of course, I cannot send those to you.

So, what I can do is go through them, and write down the numbers for you to call. These are US numbers for charity organizations that do work for immigrants, and who may be able to give you free legal advice, and/or free legal work. I'll send you the names, and numbers tonight when I get home as I left the documents in my vehicle.

Regards

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Hmmmm I was thinking that maybe a solution for him to be legal in Mexico again, is to exit to Guatemala, or Belize and then re entry to Mexico, most countries don't require a visa to visit Mexico, with few exceptions, so you should get informed first, he can go to any of those countries using his passport and then come back to Mexico legally

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Default He is in limbo...

'Fella,

I asked the same question, they said no, that won't work due to his status. They said he is going to need some sort of documentation to show that he's traveling, or a visa issued in the country he is coming from, valid green card, touist visa, etc. What you suggested makes logical sense to me, however, technically, it is not possible.

To make matters worse, only certain countries are excluded from requireing a visa for short stays. This includes most EU countries, the US, Canada, Australia, UK and Scandinavian countries. This is listed even in Mexico's official immigration web site. Citizens of countries from the Middle East require a visa, and they must have a visa even if just entering for a few days whereas others can enter, and leave without visas. Remember, he needs an extended stay type of visa.

He really is in limbo, he will not get help in Mexico without paying an attorney there. This is why he needs to really do this from the US side. The original OP said all she wanted was for him to get back in the US, so he needs status in order to come back in.

Even if he comes over the border like all other day trippers from Mexico, he's going to have to provide an ID, he has a valid passport I am guessing, but that will raise flags. He's in the US system, and the system will show his status as expired.

He really needs to get back into the US somehow , then work on his status, claim that he forgot, or he did not know his card was "missing", etc. I don't advocate that, I'm just saying that's probably what I would do if I were in his shoes.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico