Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How gay/gay-friendly is Monterrey?
Extremely gay/gay-friendly (Overtly visible--Montegay is an understatement!) 3 12.00%
There are quite a few gays/gay establishments (Higly Visible) 2 8.00%
Average amount of gay/gay-friendly places (Visible) 8 32.00%
It's a little gay/gay-friendly (Slightly visible) 4 16.00%
Anti-gay/Not gay at all (Not visible at all) 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times

Advertisements

I am from Brazil, more especifically from Porto Alegre, where I never have any problem meeting guys and being gay. Than I moved to Sao Paulo and MAN, it is the gay paradise in Latin America.
Now I am living in Monterrey, and unfortunatelly, is terrible. Terrible in a lot of things, but mostly about being gay. As some american guy said above, gay men here prefers to keep to themselves their sexuality. Instead of dating other men, like they do like, they do for girls and keep that 'gayness' in their very inside. Of course there is a lot of nice gay guys around, like anyother place. There is a couple of clubs, but I've being just to one in speciffic, that I really liked, called El Topaz. It is a eletronic (good taste) club. Nice lighting, nice venue. It could be in New York, it could be in Sao Paulo, it could be in Buenos Aires, it could be in Madrid. I really recommend. You will find good music and good looking people. If you choodo to go to ANY other clubs or bars, as my mexican friends told me, you will listeing to really bad taste music, very ugly people and all of this esteriotype of latin america (in a bad way) you had listeing about. That care, some things I've seen here turned to a trauma to me.

I am sorry for giving you people my vision about 'being gay in MTY', but that is the truth. I am only living here by obligation, and everyday I wake up wishing to be back to Sao Paulo, which is an amazing city, that i should never got out. Besides that, people here already gave up about their liberty and the right of being safe in their own city. Narco dealers is the truth and the power here. Nobody walks in the streets, and at night I most feel in a ghost and abondonad city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
My boyfriend is from Monterrey, Mexico and I plan on going on a trip there to visit. He tells me that Monterrey is so gay-friendly that some call it "Montegay"! What do you think?
I have no idea, but who would go to that city now when it's become one of the most dangerous due to the drug war? Anyway, some people have told me that Guadalajara is the gay city of Mexico; much like San Francisco in the U.S.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
I think PV is the place for you.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
being gay anywhere in latinamerica sucks, the people is very conservative ergo the gays live with fear...
I'm straight but I do know from gay and lesbian friends that Guadalajara is gay friendly. There are many people enjoying same sex marriage. Guadalajara is probably more like San Francisco because it has a live and let live attitude. All of Jalisco is laid back when it comes to race or life style.

I know there are several gay only apartment complexes in Guadalajara.

Mexico - Gay Hotels Directory: Gay Owned and Gay Friendly Hotels, Villas, Bed & Breakfasts and Vacation Rentals - Global Gay Lodging

Casa Alebrijes Gay Hotel bed and breakfast - Guadalajara, Jalisco. Guadalajara Bed and Breakfast Inns.

Escape Bed and Breakfast, Guadalajara Hotel - Mexico Guru

Out and About in Mexico

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
Maybe that is the case in Guadalajara,Vallarta or Mexico City, but not in the rest of the country.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Maybe that is the case in Guadalajara,Vallarta or Mexico City, but not in the rest of the country.
Same sex marriage is legal in D.F. and civil unions legal in Coahuila (which in Mexico all legal marriages must be performed by the government.)

Same sex marriages are recognized throughout Mexico.

Maybe like in the U.S., one must pick the right area to live in to be able to live the way he wants. Gay couples are probably more comfortable in California or N.Y., than they are in Mississippi or Alabama.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
With the advent of online dating sites and Craigslist, there less and less need for Gay bars and clubs. So you can't judge a city today by the number of Gay bars or meeting places.

More mature, serious-minded, anti-social Gay people, will look elsewhere to meet people of their own kind, and could care less if there's no Gay bars in the city they live in!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Well, I ended up breaking up with that guy and not going.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well, I ended up breaking up with that guy and not going.
I guess at least one problem was solved on this board.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
Im living in USA I can say Americans are the most close minded people of the world, Americans still critizize the gay people, I use to live in Marietta, Ga is the most awfull city to be gay, they hate gay people. I use to work with gay people OMG Im bi they humillate me like the worst person because Im bi.
I think Americans are the closets minden in the world, they are not tolerants.
Monterrey is more tolerant with gay people than Americans.Im in the USA for 12 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico