U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,105,279 times

Advertisements

Mexican official: Oregon man drowned in own blood

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico A Mexican prosecutor says an Oregon tourist drowned in his own blood while in police custody.

Sam Botner of Yancalla, Oregon, was arrested on Aug. 27 in the resort of San Jose del Cabo and was later found dead in a jail cell. Prosecutors say a surveillance video shows officers beating Botner.

In an interview Thursday with The Associated Press, state prosecutor Fernando Gonzalez said Botner suffered a ruptured spleen and then died of asphyxiation after internal bleeding blocked his airway.

Six police officers are under house arrest in the death.
Prosecutors have two weeks to determine whether they will bring charges in the case.

Canada World News - Mexican official: Oregon man drowned in own blood (broken link)

Sounds like cold blooded murder to me. I hope this guy has family members to keep this story alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 03:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 894,602 times
This could be a cover up-- just like some of those soldiers deaths in Iraq.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:27 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,105,279 times
Moderator cut: edit

Call it what you want, even though its a culturally embedded norm and tradition in Mexico, murder by any other name is still murder.

Last edited by christina0001; 09-09-2008 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed

Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,110,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Call it what you want, even though its a culturally embedded norm and tradition in Mexico, murder by any other name is still murder.
There you go.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM

1,417 posts, read 894,602 times
Quote:
Murder happens everywhere. I guess it must be a culturally embedded norm in every single country. Who'd a thunk!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,817,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
This could be a cover up-- just like some of those soldiers deaths in Iraq.
It doesn't sound like it to me.

Quote:
Botner, a father of three who was vacationing with his wife after returning from a commercial fishing trip, reportedly suffocated on his own blood Aug. 27 in a San Jose del Cabo jail. He was arrested in a condominium parking lot that day when he reportedly got into a fight.

Botner's wife, Kym, said she believes her husband was beaten to death while handcuffed and in police custody. After viewing postmortem photos, Kym Botner said someone at the jail "just mutilated" Sam.

"His nose was totally off the side of his face," she said. "The handcuff marks were horrible."
6 Mexican cops jailed in Oregon man's death - Breaking News From Oregon & Portland - Oregonlive.com

Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,418,217 times
Ok lets be fair and honest here folks.
You go to another country. You better understand that breaking their laws is not an option. You better understand that an american in a foreign prison stands the same chance as a paperman in hell.
This man if I recall was involved in a fight. He was arrested and yes the mexican police put the boots to him. Perhaps he should have avoided the fight? Or perhaps he could have ran away and lived another day?
Why was he involved in the fight anyway? I don't know. What I do know and I am well traveled is that when you are in another country low profile, and never ever cross the police. It rarely ends well for the american.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,817,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Ok lets be fair and honest here folks.
You go to another country. You better understand that breaking their laws is not an option. You better understand that an american in a foreign prison stands the same chance as a paperman in hell.
This man if I recall was involved in a fight. He was arrested and yes the mexican police put the boots to him. Perhaps he should have avoided the fight? Or perhaps he could have ran away and lived another day?
Why was he involved in the fight anyway? I don't know. What I do know and I am well traveled is that when you are in another country low profile, and never ever cross the police. It rarely ends well for the american.
Better yet, don't go to Mexico in the first place. The American was wrong to become involved in a fight. The Mexican police were more wrong to beat him to the point where his spleen ruptured and he choked to death on his own blood.

When 'incidents' like this happen, we need someone in Washington who will call in the *********** Mexican Ambassador, close the door, lift him off the floor by the lapels of his jacket and say, "Listen, you'd better make real sure nothing like this ever happens again."

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,110,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Better yet, don't go to Mexico in the first place. The American was wrong to become involved in a fight. The Mexican police were more wrong to beat him to the point where his spleen ruptured and he choked to death on his own blood.

When 'incidents' like this happen, we need someone in Washington who will call in the *********** Mexican Ambassador, close the door, lift him off the floor by the lapels of his jacket and say, "Listen, you'd better make real sure nothing like this ever happens again."

What?? LOL.

Any link to immigration yet?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM

391 posts, read 771,136 times
Quote:
Mexican official: Oregon man drowned in own blood

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico — A Mexican prosecutor says an Oregon tourist drowned in his own blood while in police custody.

Sam Botner of Yancalla, Oregon, was arrested on Aug. 27 in the resort of San Jose del Cabo and was later found dead in a jail cell. Prosecutors say a surveillance video shows officers beating Botner.

In an interview Thursday with The Associated Press, state prosecutor Fernando Gonzalez said Botner suffered a ruptured spleen and then died of asphyxiation after internal bleeding blocked his airway.

Six police officers are under house arrest in the death.
Prosecutors have two weeks to determine whether they will bring charges in the case.

Canada World News - Mexican official: Oregon man drowned in own blood (broken link)

Sounds like cold blooded murder to me. I hope this guy has family members to keep this story alive.
Oh my Lord how awful. I have heard the jails there are extremely bad.

Last edited by chey2u; 09-06-2008 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico