Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 144,076 times

Advertisements

I live in Guadalajara, and i was doing my social service at migration at int'l. airport and several people arrived this season to Ajijic & Chapala...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,474,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I just hoped that she was able to go home to her family. 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. doesn't make it sound like she would.
Not all Americans can get used to a servant kind of economy. The maids accept their fate -- it bothers me because so many are trapped in that way of life. It's not much better than slavery and probably many slaves just accepted life as it was and were basically happy -- but they had not social mobility.

If anything bothers me about Mexico it's that submissiveness of the servants. I've known women who worked as house cleaners here -- and they would set their own wages, work for 4 or 8 hours -- with a break. They considered themselves self-employed professionals -- to me that's how it should be. They might clean an average house in 4 hours for $12 an hour but it would be cleaned right and they went home to their own homes when their work day was over.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,098 times
Cool Crime no matter where you live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
That is why I'd never move to Mexico. I'm sure people 'adjust' to the rampant crime but it would make me feel very insecure. Americans appear to be sitting ducks there, waiting to be robbed.

I had to say something to this one. I have now lived in San Felipe for 4 years. You are going to have crime no matter where you live. I have been to Ensenada and Rosirito and t.j. numerious times over the 4 year time period. Wher I currently live in San Feipe yes we have crimebut it is not narly as bad as it is in the United States. Crimes are dealt with very efficiently here. Punishments do not drag out like in the US . Soit is a matter of choice lot of crime or minimal pick.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,853,815 times
Talking Housing Cheaper In Baja Then Calif>

I Bought a lot and built a 1450 sg ft house 10 miles south of Rosarito Baja Mexico. Only cost me $40,000. NO morgage,NO rent,and property tax is cheap. I am close to the Veterans Hospital in San Diego for my medical needs etc. I am on a slope 1/3 of a mile overlooking the ocean with a beautiful view from my picture window. I built it as a bi-level with the 1-1/2 garage underneath. I also purchase 98% of my groceries in Chula Vista just across the border. My understanding is that a Large Calif. grocery chain owns a Mexico grocery chain in Baja. Many people do not know that 98% of the beef in Northern Baja is AMERICAN BEEF. Looks and packaged the same as US beef. As far as crime, yes there is a lot of Calif. cars stolen in my area, mostly those who come here on a days visit. In my sub division, 2 blocks below me lived the local police chief. A real nice honest police officer. You may have read where they (POLICE) in TJ found (3) severed heads placed on bridge posts in TJ. His was one of them. I saw him many times being brought to house for COMER and later a police car would pick him up returning to duty. Have been here 11 yrs and am loving the weather etc. Have a land phone/mexican cell phone/US nextel phone for when I cross the border/computer as you see/sat. tv. In my area are also many AMERICANS like myself. Most understand a little spanish to get by on. GOTTTTA GOOOO. Stefhen

Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,983,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm not sure if it's media hype, but I've heard that growing numbers of Americans who are priced out of San Diego, are buying property across the border and commute in daily.

While I don't have much interest in living in Mexico at the moment, at least not for an extended time, I wouldn't rule out retiring there for the same reasons that others choose to do so.
I have been told that Americans cannot own property/land in Mexico, unless they are married to a Mexican. Is that true?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,079,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I have been told that Americans cannot own property/land in Mexico, unless they are married to a Mexican. Is that true?

There are restrictions on foreign ownership in border areas. They are gotten around by long term trust arrangements whereby a bank holds the property for you.

Outside of border areas you can buy property freely.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM

43 posts, read 171,872 times
Fergie: In response to your message re: geography, it is amazing the number of people who think Africa is one country

Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 29,881 times
I have lived in Rosarito Beach for just under 4 years and I love it as much today as I did when I first began visiting. I came here because of the culture, art and especially the people. I stay for those same reasons. I am fortunate enough to work in Mexico as well which saves me the border hopping, but my best friend also lives here and crosses the border every day for her job. Having the SENTRI pass definitely helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 AM

43 posts, read 171,872 times
Hi, BajaChaos. Do you know of any useful websites to find real estate to rent? Everything I've seen thus far is geared towards vacationers. My hubbie and I are deeply researching this; gathering enough information to make a solid decision. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

48 posts, read 134,060 times
Default globetrotter

try www.bajasundog.com It is a website that covers message boards for all of Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico