Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could give me information about living in SMdA? I have never been there and know little about it but feel a draw somehow. I am a late 40's female and looking for a place that is warmer for a couple of years down the road.

If you know of any websites, books, etc. that could lead me in the right direction, please let me know.

Alos a few things that would be important to me are being able to get good internet and good long distance calling rates to the US and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
booring place....

Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,714 times
There ais a GREAT site ([url=http://www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com]Buy the Book Here[/url]) where a lady named Carol keeps a log about everything that's happening there including cheap eats, rentals, etc. She also wrote a great book about retiring there with the same title. Her forum gives you all you need to visit/live or retire in SMA. We can correspond and exchange info about SMA since I am seriously planning to retire/live there in couple of years. It will be fun to exchange info. I am a Spanish teacher in NC, mid 50, with a wonderful daughter in college.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,463 times
Default Did you move to SMA??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana2012 View Post
There ais a GREAT site (Buy the Book Here) where a lady named Carol keeps a log about everything that's happening there including cheap eats, rentals, etc. She also wrote a great book about retiring there with the same title. Her forum gives you all you need to visit/live or retire in SMA. We can correspond and exchange info about SMA since I am seriously planning to retire/live there in couple of years. It will be fun to exchange info. I am a Spanish teacher in NC, mid 50, with a wonderful daughter in college.
Hello
I hope you got to move to SMA! im in Charleston South Carolina and about to retire there, would love to connect with you! ~ jewel

Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,463 times
Hello
Im about to retire to SMA, currently living in Charleston SC and would love to connect with you!
did you make the move to Mexico yet?
[mod cut: no personal info. Please contact per DM]

Last edited by elnina; 05-27-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Most of the people I see/read criticizing life in San Miguel de Allende ... are ones who are jealous they aren't living there. Certainly not a destination for everyone ... none of the choices are. But it's an excellent option. Weather is mild, rarely "hot," from what I've experienced. Regarding the website recommendation in #3 .. that woman (whose website is referred to) hasn't lived in SMA in over a year, if I'm recalling correctly. There is some good, archived information on that site though. There are many books/websites which deal with retirement in Mexico, local expat life, etc., etc. There are so many possibilities. Look, also, at the communities at Lake Chapala, Jalisco ... which are very popular choices for many expats from Canada and the USA. Good weather, also. If you intend to move to Mexico, you'll want to learn Spanish. Now's not too soon to start, if you don't already have that ability. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
booring place....
then you must not know the town very well.

Many things to do, lots of GREAT restaurants, a couple of very good gyms, lots of cultural events and art shows etc. Many places close to visit.

I lived there for quite a while and loved it.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Here's a couple of forums specific to the area to get you started:

San Miguel de Allende - Falling...in Love with San Miguel Forums

San Miguel de Allende

Note that costs have increased a lot. If you are expecting to find it cheaper to live in Mexico than in the USA, You may very well NOT find it cheaper to live in Mexico (esp. SMA). Also remember that the income and asset requirements to obtain a visa to live there for more than 180 days have recently changed and are more stringent. Additionally, obtaining a working visa is VERY difficult, so if you can't support yourself on your retirement income and assets, forget it.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM

305 posts, read 750,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Additionally, obtaining a working visa is VERY difficult, so if you can't support yourself on your retirement income and assets, forget it.
Well, to be fair obtaining a work visa for teaching english is very easy. I have never heard of anyone being turned down. The catch is that now you need to apply from within your own country the first time if you don't already have one.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
Well, to be fair obtaining a work visa for teaching english is very easy. I have never heard of anyone being turned down. The catch is that now you need to apply from within your own country the first time if you don't already have one.
Good, accurate comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico