Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 AM

23,091 posts, read 28,815,826 times

Advertisements

I have traveled a great deal throughout Mexico, Central and South America, and it seems like the only time I have people calling me Gringo is in Mexico. Fine! But every time one calls me that down there, I quickly take them aside and correct their pronounciation of the word. I tell them: It's NOT pronounced greeeeengo, it's gringo. No eeee sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
your post is a racial slur. el respecto al derecho ajeno es la paz. the respect to the rights of the foreigner is peace-- benito juarez

Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 AM

382 posts, read 951,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Dios mío... if you actually wanted an actual answer from "gringos" you wouldn't address them in that way because many people know that "gringo" is a disrespectful term.
Whites are typically not as offended by terms applied to them by other races as other races are to terms whites use for them.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,533,826 times
I agrr with that comment, expgc. And I'm white.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,805,707 times
Personally I like Mexicans. I have worked with quite a few of them, and, I take no offense at the term "gringo" in my dictionary it is defined as "foreigner", which is exactly what I am while I am in your country. I do not take offense at the truth. Dang, after spending that year in W. Africa I felt like a gringo in los estados unidos.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:50 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,059,643 times
Default Mexicans in Mexico

To me it seems that Mexicans who live in Mexico are much happier and therefore nicer than the ones who are living north of the border. The ones up here are probably stressed out about trying to fit in and be accepted by the ruling class of this country.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:32 PM

272 posts, read 1,506,541 times
I find Mexicans to be much more sophisticated in many ways than the stereotypes propagated in the USA would suggest. It's very easy to get into a discussion of world affairs with nearly any Mexican you meet, and frankly they generally know more about what's going on in the rest of the world than most US citizens do. Everyone from bartenders to the maids at some of the resorts where I lived generally had a good grasp of things, read the newspapers, etc. and we had some very good conversations. I mostly wanted to know what they thought, they mostly wanted to practice their English and know what I thought. I passed many a pleasant hour in Mexico discussing things as varied as ecology, architecture, art, history, corruption, family relationships-- you name it. I love their sometimes sly, sometimes silly sense of humor.

Overall I find the Mexican people to be open and generous, perhaps too trusting sometimes, less "plastic" than many of their northern neighbors, ready to accept you for who you are, less judgmental than State-siders. Treat them with the respect and courtesy they deserve, and they reciprocate.

As for the terms "gringo" and "guera"-- well, in the parts of Mexico where I've lived guera is spelled "huera" and whether or not it's meant as an insult depends on how it's used and by whom. My nickname for many years has been "La Huerita (little blondie), and that's the moniker I use on my blog. It was always used with affection. On the other hand, I've been called Huera by a few people who did not mean it kindly. Same goes with the word "gringo/a". (Gringo preceded by the word pinche is never good, unless you're joking around with a friend.)

It's all in the way that you use it...

Oh, and one more thing. I love the way Mexicans (especially men) are perfectly willing to break out in song at the least provocation, whether or not they can carry a tune. Americans are usually too self conscious to do that, and will get laughed down as like as not. But in Mexico? When someone starts singing it's perfectly OK with them if I join in-- and I can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

Last edited by Baja Boomer; 09-20-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,532,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Why´s disreptectful term? Is widely used in Mexico, even 1 dude has a show named ¨Gringo en Mexico¨ were an american man travel around the country....

wera is = blond girl, i dont see lack of respect on that....
in 1978 i worked at jack in the box on slauson in huntington park. one of the cooks called me guera... i thought it meant whitey hahaha. even though he said it was like 'blonde'... i'm a brunette!

what i think of mexicans in mexico: i wish their government was more helpful to it's people. they shouldn't have such abject poverty.

it's a beautiful country but it seems there is too much corruption.

kate

Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 AM

64 posts, read 338,468 times
I agree with Baja Boomer about the general openness and friendliness of Mexican people. Obviously there are jerks too, but where aren't there? :^}

I have no feeling at all about gringa & güera. I long ago got used to answering to güera in marketplaces, for instance. All it means is someone paler than average and goes along with the Mexican habit of referring to people by some physical characteristic. I refer to myself as a gringa. It beats saying I'm an estadounidense -- a word I've never been able to say.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,830,482 times
What do I think about Mexicans? hmmm...they are quite a diverse lot, some one can trust, some not...I have to get used to get called "amigo" all the time, I know that most of them do it because they are intersted in my $, I don't blame them, but I know for some of them it's genuine, the difficult part sometimes is to determine who is genuine and who is not, I'm not savvy enough in the Mexican social codes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico