Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times

Advertisements

Güero is huero in Spanish.
Huero = Empty, empty headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Honestly.
Not a good impression of Mexicans.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM

272 posts, read 1,509,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Ah. The old "dumb blonde" stereotype.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM

272 posts, read 1,509,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have traveled a great deal throughout Mexico, Central and South America, and it seems like the only time I have people calling me Gringo is in Mexico. Fine! But every time one calls me that down there, I quickly take them aside and correct their pronounciation of the word. I tell them: It's NOT pronounced greeeeengo, it's gringo. No eeee sounds.
Is this a non-Mexican instructing Mexicans on how to properly pronounce what is essentially a Spanish slang word that they themselves created? Does that sound just a bit arrogant to anyone besides me?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Some good friends of mine who travel quite a bit in Mexico and are pretty good with the language told me "just remember - i's are e's, e's are a's and a's are ah's. So, Gringo would be pronounced green-go not grin-go.

I spent quite a bit of time in Chihuahua a year ago (on business) and I really liked all the people I met there. Sometimes the lack of urgency could get a little frustrating, but at the same time, they seemed to take everything in stride. The guys I worked with had a great sense of humor, they were always cracking me up.

I would love to spend more time in Mexico.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
everything makes sense now i was 18 when i was called that... although i sensed some endearment at the time... the guy who named me that always had that "love" look some guys get.... heehehe

kate

Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 PM

64 posts, read 339,258 times
I don't get it. This is the Mexico board, which one would assume is both for people who know and love Mexico and those who sincerely would like to know more. It is nauseating to see posters come to this part of city-data only to share their hateful and backward impressions of a country and people about which they obviously know nothing.

People like roncorey have no place on an international forum, or for that matter, on any forum frequented by real adults. Great job on interspersing sexism and religion-bashing in with your "on topic" view of "them", ron baby!

And tijlover ~~ wtf?? Um. Let's just stick with what Baja Boomer said, as it's a heck of a lot more polite than what I'm thinking.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
estimado senor -
mexico is a very big place.
lots of different people live there.
unfortunately opinions in this country are not formed by the people living in mexico, they are formed by the people that come here from mexico. of late i regret, it has not been a pleasant experience.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixaorellana View Post
People like roncorey have no place on an international forum, or for that matter, on any forum frequented by real adults. Great job on interspersing sexism and religion-bashing in with your "on topic" view of "them", ron baby!
sorry...I'll just assume that the thousands of Mexican immigrants that live in my city are just an aberration and the news and the documentaries of untamed drug gang violence and rampant poverty in your country is just hyperbole.

I'll leave this forum forever now to the people that want to believe that the real Mexico is the one that they see while visiting resorts and tourist centers.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
mmm...so easy to identify a troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico