U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 4,479,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Most users live in Mexico and know the real Mexico much better than you like yours truly, and while far from perfect, it's not what you think, no country is exempt from problems or issues, in some things the US is better than Mexico, but in others Mexico is much better than the USA, people aren't that manipulated by the media and think more for themselves, they know that neither the media nor the government are our friends, and I could go on and on of all the things where Mexico surpasses the USA, but I believe it's better that people come and see those things for themselves like most of the forum users who've lived in Mexico or spent time there.

Besides for those who don't know, the use of the word gringo isn't something restricted to Mexico only, it is used in Brazil too, but there it means foreigner.

Always when I am in Brazil people calls me gringo and I'm mexican, before I used to tell them heeey I'm not from the USA I'm from Mexico and they told me, gringo in Brazil means foreigner there's nothing wrong with that, my friends joke with me saying.

Quando vc chegou neste pais, vc era um gringo mas agora vc ja é brasileiro!!

(When you arrived to this country you were a gringo, but know you are a brazilian already)

Regards
I completely agree with the above. As a Mexican national who has been living here most of her life (legally I might add) I am amazed at how Americans are so easily swayed by the media and government. I trust neither and I work for the gove.rnment
And I love Mexico too
My grandpa (step grandpa) is a gringo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM

16,982 posts, read 19,930,307 times
The few times I've been to Mexico, the people were warm, friendly and great to be with. They were proud to show off their country and the restaurants were full of fresh ingredients and seafood...none of which made us sick. It was all good.
One of my favorite memories was in a shop with our son when he was about 12. There were two young girls working in the store about the same age as my son and you could tell they thought he was cute, and got all giggly. Kids are the same all over.
We bought a creche with pottery figures there and were trying to figure out who was who..the shepherds, the wise men, etc. and the girls were trying to help us. I said "Who is this?" and the girl said "Eess Maria". It was funny because she must have thought we were really dumb if we couldn't even pick out Mary. The girls were very sweet.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 AM

156 posts, read 39,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have traveled a great deal throughout Mexico, Central and South America, and it seems like the only time I have people calling me Gringo is in Mexico. Fine! But every time one calls me that down there, I quickly take them aside and correct their pronounciation of the word. I tell them: It's NOT pronounced greeeeengo, it's gringo. No eeee sounds.
-----

Wrong. The correct pronunciation is "greengo" in English or griiingo (sustained Spanish "i").

The word comes from "Green Coats".

Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 AM

156 posts, read 39,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
sorry...I'll just assume that the thousands of Mexican immigrants that live in my city are just an aberration and the news and the documentaries of untamed drug gang violence and rampant poverty in your country is just hyperbole.

I'll leave this forum forever now to the people that want to believe that the real Mexico is the one that they see while visiting resorts and tourist centers.
----------

Ronco

If you live in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, then you're the immigrant. Illegal immigrant I might add.

If you read some history, you'll discover that all territories colonized during the XIXth Century always return to their native inhabitants.

I might add that most California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas were the property of Californio and Tejano ranchers, and their lands were stolen resorting to illegal scams.

Americans were graciously welcomed and they returned the favour invading Mexico.

Don't you think that Mexicans behave better than you people?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM

610 posts, read 327,397 times
Mod editersonal attack I agree. I have no idea how that stereotype came about. But I bet it has something to do with the siesta concept (which is a BRILLIANT) and the slower pace in general.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-01-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:33 AM

16 posts, read 117,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
----------

Ronco

If you live in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, then you're the immigrant. Illegal immigrant I might add.

If you read some history, you'll discover that all territories colonized during the XIXth Century always return to their native inhabitants.

I might add that most California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas were the property of Californio and Tejano ranchers, and their lands were stolen resorting to illegal scams.

Americans were graciously welcomed and they returned the favour invading Mexico.

Don't you think that Mexicans behave better than you people?
Okay, you have made some good historical points. However can you please explain why the goverment of Mexico has been so historically unstable and poor? I have been reading about citizens marching in the streets due to anger over their safety. Will Mexico then become an economic power in the world when it takes back CA, NM, AZ, & TX? What about the Native Americans of CA that were removed by the Mexicans?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 PM

11,573 posts, read 9,799,845 times
And what about the Native Americans removed by Mexicans in other states?

And what about the Native Americans removed by Mexicans in Mexico?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,177,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif1964 View Post
Will Mexico then become an economic power in the world when it takes back CA, NM, AZ, & TX? What about the Native Americans of CA that were removed by the Mexicans?
And who is planning to take CA, NM, AZ and TX back? As far as we are concerned Mexico is not interested in taking over anything. Where did you get such MISinformation? The US media?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 AM

12 posts, read 7,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I have to disagree with you. If you have read any of our posts on color, you will find that in Mexico, the whiter or blonder you are, the more value as far as beauty, you possess. So when you go down the street and they are flirting with you, they are really saying you are beautiful.

Of course it feels uncomfortable and it is disrespectful to call you out in public. Regardless of how they do it, when you get called guera...they are admiring your beauty.

Guera=beautiful

although people throughout latin america have had white supremacy shoved down their throats through religion and the media, I would disagree with you guera does not equal beautiful, there are many beautiful gueras, but there are also many many beautiful morenasas and full blood indigena women as well as 'mestizas.'

Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 AM

12 posts, read 7,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif1964 View Post
Okay, you have made some good historical points. However can you please explain why the goverment of Mexico has been so historically unstable and poor? I have been reading about citizens marching in the streets due to anger over their safety. Will Mexico then become an economic power in the world when it takes back CA, NM, AZ, & TX? What about the Native Americans of CA that were removed by the Mexicans?
unless you read americanpatrol.com or hang out on the border in camoflage im pretty sure the present government of Mexico has no interest in obtaining control of the southwest.
Mexico historically unstable and poor? well thats where reading comes in and getting informed about the role your government plays in all these countries, control of the resources of those countries and control of the national elites of them to. I hear so many gavas talking about duh why dont they fix mexico, do you know what has happened historically to people that have fought to change Mexico or any Latin american country for that matter? why unless your that much in the stone age there where a dozen civil wars and revolutions in latin america from the 60's to the late 90's. Your government with its great benevolence armed and trained every last one of them to kill, maim, murder and destroy virtually any dream of living in a just and democratic society. yes,that is what they did and they try doing it all the time. Ill leave you with that. grab a book and learn.

the Native Americans of ca where lumped together with the poor peasant Mexican Native or "Mestizo" and treated like garbage, whats your point? what about them? Many of them became like any other Mexican adopting the culture and language to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico