Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,027,852 times

Advertisements

I dont know if you have left already but do stop in Zacatecas. You will not regret it. There are many museums, landscape, architecture, food and plenty to buy. Make sure you visit "el cerro de la Bufa".

Mmmmmmm....I am missing it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,942 times
Hey Tootsie,

Great screen name by the way! I was wondering if you found more information on driving to Guadalajara. I would like to attend one of their language schools and am considering driving to save the cash. I live in Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,592,874 times
Cross into Mexico at Eagle Pass, Texas, and take the excellent road from there through Monclova to Saltillo---that way yu will avoid both Laredo and Monterrey.

There is no need to make reservations anywhere---just stoip a a hotel that looks nice and register. One thing to remember---in Mexico, a "Motel" rents rooms by the hour, to gentlemen, with excellent room service---so stick to places with a sign that says "Hotel".

There is nothing between Saltillo and Zacatecas, so that will be your overnight stop. If you don't like Zacatecas, there is a very lovely little town of Jerez, beyond Zacatecas, which willl have several hotels, but you will need to cut west to a different highway. But there is a lot less traffic on that road into Guadalajara.

Don't worry about your car---there are a zillion Toyotas in Mexico, plenty of spare parts, and the labor rate is a small fraction of the $80 per hour you would pay at home. Look for a sign that says "Taller Mecanico"---and if its engine trouble, choose one with a sign that says "electronico"---they will have diagnostic testing equipment.

Most banks will not change money, so change as much as you think you'll need at the border. In Mexico you can use ATMs in bank lobbies. Notify your card issuer that you are going to Mexico, or they might red flag it when they see a Mexican transaction and then disable it. If you change too much, it can be converted back at the border, and the rate is not too bad. Expect to pay about $100 for car insurance---the premium is about the same, whether for 6 days or 6 months. There will be about $40 in fees at the border for you and your car, and you MUST pay with a credit care in YOUR name, and have the TITLE to your car.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,829 times
Default Did you drive alone after all?

Hi TW,
I am interested in learning what you finally did for your trip...did you drive or fly after all?

I am asking because I'm a married mom with two sons and I am planning on driving with them to Leon, Guanajuato, which is 2 hours from Guadalajara.

Since I was a kid my family regularly travels to Mexico by car, bus & plane, so I'm generally not too concerned about security issues, but I would only drive on the highways at night, stick to the toll roads, and possibly even cut my trip in half (12 hours of total driving from Austin to Leon) and spend the night with friends in Monterrey.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Monica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Single, retired female driving from the U.S. to, say, Guadalajara: safe? or just plain stupid?
I believe there is a highway you can take from Laredo and avoid the border town crime totally, but how safe would it be for an older female driving a long distance by herself?
Certainly, I would map out the trip beforehand, but do I need to make hotel reservations first (which is really not my style at all, but I will if I have to).
My hair is silver, and I surely would hate to be targeted as a victim. Any suggestions????

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM

248 posts, read 1,070,869 times
yeah...I wanna know too?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,841,268 times
Old post. Silver hair or not . An American plate car means $$$$$.

Never drive at night...places are closed...including some small Gas stations. Never have the tank below 1/4 level. Carry a 2 gal can of gas in the trunk for any emergency needs. As a male (mechanic) did drive a lot at night because I knew (understood Mexico) and could cover a lot of miles due to less traffic.

As to the Hotel or Motel status...they cater the same when money is involved.

Been a while...hope she made out okay.

Steve

Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,267 times
I am considering driving to Guadalajara from Corpus Christi Texas, I am a 60 year old male and will be driving alone. I checked the air fare and a rental car for 1 month and it was $1500 USD, car rental being $1000 of the price. Does anyone have any advise? How long of a trip it might be? Safety issues? I do not speak Spanish. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,529,783 times
Sorry I just found this old post. I am eldercaring and still here in the Midwest, and so I have no idea when my duties will be thru here. However, so soon as it is, I will be traveling alot all over the world.

One thing I did find out about Mexico, tho, is that you don't want to take a car there. Their attitude is totally opposite of over here: i.e., you are guilty until proven innocent. Which means, if your car is hit by someone YOU are considered guilty and have to prove yourself innocent. Lots of problems--including jail--could be involved with that. So, I think from what I have learned by reading other posts elsewhere, that the smartest thing to do is to take public transportation in Mexico. For all of those interested in traveling to Mexico, check into this before you take a car over the border. Just a warning as I surely didn't have any idea of this myself before doing alot of reading.

As for getting around without Spanish, in the major cities you will do okay. I've traveled to 23 countries without speaking much of anything and got all my needs met. Between hand gestures and drawing pictures, don't worry as you can make yourself understood by most.

I think the suggestion above from a poster about letting your credit card company know beforehand that you will be going to Mexico is a smart one. Everytime I went for 2 days to Laredo, Mexico from Houston my credit card company would call me in a panic and grill me if it was my card being used. They might just flag the card and shut it off. I was lucky as mine realized it was me that was there (only a 5-1/2 hr. drive) to the border from Houston, but it would be smart to tell them before you go out of country. I used to chuckle to myself as the gals at the credit card company actually sounded paniced when they called me each time....and, yes, it was me...but I could see how it could be a problem.

From what I have learned, the bus system is not like in America. It is much, much better with even stewardess' on them sometimes. So, I guess they have a superior bus system there in many of the cities.

There are lots of boards for Mexico that you can find on the net that will be more than glad to help you find language schools and anything else you need. Just put the desired topic in your search bar on the computer.

And language schools abound there...particularly outside Mexico City about an hour away. There are several good ones I found, but, again, use your search bar on the computer and many will pop up.

Lake Chapala (an American enclave) has a board you can sign up for and write your questions, and another American enclave there is San Miguel de Allende. Try and find some boards or forum for there, also.

By the way, for those from Texas and used to carrying a concealed gun: do NOT bring a gun into Mexico. Big offense there! You will not look pretty as a gringo in a Mexican prison..trust me.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 10-08-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,763,495 times
I have to weigh in on this, My husband and I have been driving to Guad since 2000..We have never had a problem, no banditos. Get off the road by night fall. If you are not familiar w/ the libres(alternatives to cuotas) cuotas (toll roads)

Stay on the cuotas, do not leave valuables in view, do not wear expensive attire.

Tip...remove the tire valve cap covers and if you have foldable mirrors pull them in when you park.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,763,495 times
Also learn what the word TOPE mean and the signage, they are giant speed bumps usually placed coming into small towns.

Tip beware of using your turn signal, Mexicans will put blinker on to signal that is safe to pass..
Never assume that they are right and like wise use caution and break your habit of signaling when you pass someone or are going to pass someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico