U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,178,374 times
Question Retire in Monterrey?

Does anyone retire in Monterrey? Or is this a strictly working city for younger people?
It seems all the Americans go to Lake Chapala area or San Miguel, but are there any American enclaves in Monterrey? Or are the Americans spread around the city as they do in Guadalajara and Mexico City (where there seems to be no American areas specifically in town)?

Where can I find the demographics by age (i.e., 65+) for the major cities in Mexico? Not had luck finding that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 AM

47 posts, read 112,518 times
Monterrey is a sprawling industrial city, very business oriented and less traditional Mexican 'culture' than a lot of people have in mind if they think of Mexico. It runs the gauntlet from extremely expensive mansions with pool houses bigger than a normal house in the US, to shacks in the hills and in the outskirts. Also, it is considerably more expensive than other cities in Mexico, although if you were living in a gringo enclave the prices there would be artificially high as well, if you are thinking of retiring there, perhaps this is not a problem for you?

Being a business based city, there are some expats but you will not find a strong expat community there as in the other towns you mentioned. Especially not an older one! If this is what you're looking for, I suggest you look elsewhere.

You could also look at the colonial cities in the centre of the country. Places like Guanajuato, Querétero, Cuernavaca are becoming more popular, also beach communities like in or around La Paz, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, Playa del Carmen etc. are home to a number of expats, especially Americans.

Also you should take the climate into account, of course this depends on what you're used to and what your body can handle, but it does get extremely hot in summer in Monterrey. Unlike other cities where this also the case, you're not that close to a beach to cool off!

How is your Spanish? If you don't know it, are you planning on learning? Cos this would also influence which area you would best be suited to.

I lived there and so if you have more specific questions, ask away. You might also find more info here.

Last edited by ciaobellaxx; 12-11-2008 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM

972 posts, read 2,375,616 times
There are thousands of Americans living in monterrey, but not for pleasure but for business, the quality of life in monterrey is one of the highest in Mexico and the cost too ..

is a city of more than 4 million people with many museums, parks, walks and mountains, but the weather is extreme, similar to san antonio texas ...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Does anyone have an idea of how many pesos per month it would cost to live in a one bedroom, safe area, of Monterrey?
I have read that you shouldn't plan to retire to Mexico on less than $10,000 pesos a month (about $738 USD, I think). How much MORE expensive is Monterrey?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 AM

The best zone to live in Monterrey is in San Pedro Garza Garcia, a small town in the south of the city in the mountain of the Sierra Madre. You can live in a deparment building, because the houses rent are very expensive in that zone, almost all mansions...

The prices are from $19,000 to $25,000 pesos per month, in dollars you can apply a exchange rate of 12 pesos per dollar, so its like 1,600 to 2,000 dollars per month..

Here´s some examples of the buildings:

Aqua Altus

You can live in a less expensive zone, like Centrika near downtown, for a $500 dollars per month.. or Urbania, $700 dollars per month

You can check this site if you know some spanish with all the options of rent in Monterrey City.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Some photos from Monterrey

Parque Fundidora (Photo by Silverhawk SSC)

View of the Downtown Skyline (Photo by Silverhawk SSC)

Christmas Tree in downtown.

More photos of the city:

http://joelruiz.com/

http://fermintellez.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miedo/ (broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=monterrey (broken link)

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

They won't let me give you another reputation, but I would if I could. Thanks for the wonderful information and photos, el_inombrable.
I found a cost of living index for Monterrey that claimed it was 71 (100 being average in America). Houston is some higher than that.
Are you saying that Monterrey and Houston costs are comparable insofar as housing is concerned?
El cheapo (but SAFE) is the area I would live in until I made a community of friends if I moved there.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

IMO Houston must be more expensive than Monterrey.

Regards!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Now that makes me go hmmmmmmmm..... Monterrey seems like it would be a good place to learn Spanish while you acclimate to the culture.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:04 PM

47 posts, read 112,518 times
Hmm well I don't know if Monterrey is the best place to learn Spanish. No doubt it's better than a gringo enclave, because there'd be more interaction with the local community and you likely won't be spending all your time with expats, but on the other hand it isn't a relaxed city, it's business oriented and also a lot of people speak English (I'm talking more your likely neighbours, if you live in a well-off community, not people in shops etc.), so you'd have to be stubborn about getting people to speak Spanish back to you.

How much you need to live on there depends completely on what lifestyle you want... I guess you won't want to be sharing a flat but do you want a house? Spare bedroom? Expensive, decorated apartment with security and other amenities? Do you plan on buying or running a car, or will you use taxis and public transport? Do you eat out a lot or will you be mostly cooking? Any pets? Do you want cable, a house phone line, broadband, a gym membership, or is that unimportant? Will you have insurance?

Also if you want to do a fair bit of travelling around Mexico, remember to add in an amount to cover that in your monthly budget.

Maybe we can help more if we knew a bit more, also where do you want to live, somewhere more normal or ritzy, like San Pedro Garza García?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico