U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM

266 posts, read 617,611 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm going here soon with a friend from the 4th grade! I'm so excited. I was near hear early last year on a cruise so I know about the ruins, any other suggestions of must/see/do/try while there???

Also, I read all the stuff about Mexico being unsafe, is this a little better not being close to the border? I never felt unsafe last year but I was with the cruise tour so that helped!

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
There is a large expat American community in Progreso, the port that serves Merida. It's the hottest climate in Mexico. No reason to think there is any danger there, but be cautions for petty crime like pickpocketing at the archaeological sites and other places where tourists gather.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM

3,874 posts, read 11,555,975 times
The authoritative source of travel warnings is the U.S. Department of State. This is their most recent warning about travelling in Mexico. It gives lots of detailed information.
MIG: Mexico Travel Alert (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html - broken link)

Here is additional info regarding the State Dept.'s warnings about travel in Mexico. You might especially be interested in the section "Crime and Violence Throughout Mexico":
Mexico Travel Warning in Perspective

Great background info about D.O.S. Travel Warnings in general, and what to do about them:
Travel Warnings and Advisories

Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 AM

972 posts, read 2,535,659 times
Merida is a very safe city for tourism, dont worry...

Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,731 times
Default good suggestions

hey,

if there is one thing i won't miss it is Chichen Itza which is a large pre-Columbian archeological site built by the Maya civilization. The site contains many fine stone buildings in various states of preservation, you shhould check it out. and if you want some more info go to TrekCafe Travel Guide - Mexico there are some good advises there

Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,657 times
Hi All,
Just to let you know, I have been working in Mexico for around 9 years now. Just this pass year I have found someone special to me and we should be married soon. She lives in Merida, and I am still trying to find out just how I go about getting permision to stay here for good. I have had not one problem in Merida and feel very safe walking the streets alone at night. Merida is a beautiful city and I think everyone that can come, should check it out.

Last edited by stswiz; 01-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,625 times
Default Merida

I live in Merida and can tell you it is extremely safe. The city has so much to do that you con't have time to do anything twice.
It is a modern city of about 1 million peopel and many Mexicans and foreigners chose to live here due to the low cost of living and lots of ammenties. There are ruins all around the city. Have fun!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Thanks! I took my kids to the Dzbitulahn (I know I spelled that ALL wrong) ruins last year on a cruise excursion, we loved it! I didn't realize Merida had so many people! I hope I don't get lost!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM

I am back with another question. One of my friends went and got pesos ... when I came to Progreso I just used US Cash, is there any reason to convert my money?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM

972 posts, read 2,535,659 times
Yes, because now the dollar is stronger than peso... 14 pesos = 1 dolllar, if you dont change your currency, you will be paying more for services...

Just change a little amount every day and you will be fine...

Regards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico