U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,018,254 times

Advertisements

Hola
I was looking for some advice on vacation plans I am thinking of making. I am considering booking a beach house in Progreso for my family of 5. My husband and I are "world travelers", so to speak, and looking for something off the beaten path for a "relaxing" family vacation. (Not into the all inclusive tourist traps) We are planning on flying into Cancun, renting a car and driving to Progreso (I know it's like 4 hours) but the kids are 11, 12 and 16, so it shouldn't be too painful! We would also like to take a day for Chichen Itza during the week. Does this sound reasonable, or am I chewing off too much here? We are explorers at heart and not afraid to go off the beaten path...My main question is safety! (actually my Mothers', lol) I would appreciate any insight and/or advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM

972 posts, read 2,535,659 times
IMO is better if you fly direct to Merida....

Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Hola
I was looking for some advice on vacation plans I am thinking of making. I am considering booking a beach house in Progreso for my family of 5. My husband and I are "world travelers", so to speak, and looking for something off the beaten path for a "relaxing" family vacation. (Not into the all inclusive tourist traps) We are planning on flying into Cancun, renting a car and driving to Progreso (I know it's like 4 hours) but the kids are 11, 12 and 16, so it shouldn't be too painful! We would also like to take a day for Chichen Itza during the week. Does this sound reasonable, or am I chewing off too much here? We are explorers at heart and not afraid to go off the beaten path...My main question is safety! (actually my Mothers', lol) I would appreciate any insight and/or advice...
Let me be specific, Progreso, Yucatan...sorry!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
IMO is better if you fly direct to Merida....
I agree. However, we fly free because of our jobs, but only into Cancun.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM

972 posts, read 2,535,659 times
you see chichen itza is between Merida and Cancun, so if you stay in Merida it will be boring getting back to see the ruins, what i do is stay in Holbox Island the 2 days, then another 2 days in Chichen Itza, and then go directly to Progreso, and from there you can go to Celestun, Uxmal and Merida.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
you see chichen itza is between Merida and Cancun, so if you stay in Merida it will be boring getting back to see the ruins, what i do is stay in Holbox Island the 2 days, then another 2 days in Chichen Itza, and then go directly to Progreso, and from there you can go to Celestun, Uxmal and Merida.
Other than a day trip, we were hoping to spend the 7 days basically relaxing in one place...We were planning to drive Cancun to Progreso, relax a couple days, take a day trip to Chichen Itza, relax a few more days, and drive back to Cancun to fly home.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,154 times
Since Chichen Itza is halfway between Cancun and Merida/Progreso, you might want to see it either on the way up OR on the way back. That way you're not backtracking on a hot dusty road unnecessarily so. Not that it's unsafe. Yucatan is not like the rest of Mexico. There's hardly any crime besides your occasional drunk driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico