Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times

Advertisements

I read an article today that said arranged marriages still happen in parts of Mexico, Oaxaca being one of them. Is this so? I've never heard of this in all of Mexico. How prevalent is it? Is it legal?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,159 times
it is not legal, they are the uses and customs of indigenous peoples where even the girl is sold to the future owner-husband, that part of the culture that many dream of returning ..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,159 times
Yeah if it happens its usually with very young girls..

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
They don't all involve a "sale". I know there are semi-arranged marriages, at least in some upper class families, a daughter is supposed to marry someone in the family's social group. They aren't arranged like in some countries, but children can be pressured to marry someone the parents carefully selected. I think that article refers to something quite different, where a very young girl was sold for a lot of beer and other things, or more likely was pimped out by a deviant father.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They don't all involve a "sale". I know there are semi-arranged marriages, at least in some upper class families, a daughter is supposed to marry someone in the family's social group. They aren't arranged like in some countries, but children can be pressured to marry someone the parents carefully selected. I think that article refers to something quite different, where a very young girl was sold for a lot of beer and other things, or more likely was pimped out by a deviant father.
Malamute, I have respect for most of your posts. However, I do see that you have your own stereotypes of us as well. While I agree that in the upper class families, the parents are very selective of the son-in-law and would refuse to give their daughter out if he is not at their social level, I dont agree with your opinion of an article you have not read yet.

In our society, we have laws that protect children (this also includes young ladies) that are "sold" or forced into prostitution. So, this is not something that is seen as the norm, the article would have clearly stated that it was a crime and not an arranged marriage.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:42 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
it is not legal, they are the uses and customs of indigenous peoples where even the girl is sold to the future owner-husband, that part of the culture that many dream of returning ..
One thing that bothers me is when we Mestizos see our indigenous cultures as "uncivilized". I dont know of any Mexican tribe that exchanges goods for their daughters. I have no doubt that there is that agreement between the future husband and the father, but not for money or trade. Please provide a current document that shows other wise.

Arranged marriages have existed in many societies around the world. In Mexico, it has also existed among Mestizos, in the past. If you remember "Like Water for Chocolate", there was an arranged marriage between the boyfriend of the main character and the sister. Those times have been long gone.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,159 times
Not true, if you want a bit of reality check this one:

EL DRAMA DE EPIFANIO LABRA (Un malentendido por usos y costumbres) « Cuaderno de notas de Marcela Turati

Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM

124 posts, read 529,583 times
I agree with Malamute on this one. Sometimes we don´t want to see the truth, but when living in Chihuahua, I read in the newspaper about tarahumara girls being sold by their parents for menial ammounts of money. Also, I remember some televisa investigation (I cannot recall if it was on the Mexican version of 60 minutes) about very young girls from the poorest "ejidos" in San Luis Potosí, Chiapas and even in Nuevo León being traded for goods or money. Those girls ended up working as servants or prostitutes.

Yes... there are laws against this in Mexico. Problem is indigenous people tend to make their own laws for centuries, and almost no one mess with them.

Food for tought.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Malamute, I have respect for most of your posts. However, I do see that you have your own stereotypes of us as well. While I agree that in the upper class families, the parents are very selective of the son-in-law and would refuse to give their daughter out if he is not at their social level, I dont agree with your opinion of an article you have not read yet.

In our society, we have laws that protect children (this also includes young ladies) that are "sold" or forced into prostitution. So, this is not something that is seen as the norm, the article would have clearly stated that it was a crime and not an arranged marriage.

Did you read the article in question? Unless I read the wrong one, there was a case here in the USA, (not Mexico so you might be thinking of a different one) where a Mexican man sold a 14 year old daughter for a bunch of beer and other items, the aspect of culture is discussed in the article.

I know of people in my workplace, from Mexico but they were not from poor families who are in semi-arranged marriages. One woman fell in love with a Hispanic-American of Mexican background, her parents did not feel he was appropriate, she was sent to live with relatives where her family is from, so she could get better acquainted with the one she was expected to marry, they married, she came back with him to this side of the border, the marriage seems fine.

I knew a family in Puebla where the man didn't want to marry the woman his family intended -- I'm not sure why as she was attractive, the daughter of friends of the parents but I believe they finally talked some sense into him and he decided to go their way. These aren't the poor or lower middle class types, but the higher up society types.

I'm not saying they are "arranged" in the sense there are arranged marriages in other countries and there is no money being exchanged. It's about parents wanting "suitable" marriage partners, and their children not exactly free to do their own choosing.

I've not heard of this with poor families.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM

I believe this is the case and article that was referred to:

BBC NEWS | Americas | US father sells daughter for beer

"We're aware of the cultural issues here, but state law trumps cultural sensitivity."

-- Since the father himself called the police when he wasn't given the beer, meat, and money, I think it's somewhat assumed the father felt this was a perfectly acceptable deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico