U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,479,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MEXICO CITY - Indiscriminate kidnappings. Nearly daily beheadings. Gangs that mock and kill government agents.

This isn't Iraq or Pakistan. It's Mexico, which the U.S. government and a growing number of experts say is becoming one of the world's biggest security risks.
Arizona Republic article

My blood ran cold when I read the above article.

We (the USA) had better be prepared for possibly millions of frightened, injured Mexican refugees here in our Southwest very soon. Note; this variety of 'illegal alien' will be part of Mx's Middle Class----------read that folks who would not dream of 'hopping the border' for that 'better life' BS. We are discussing bona fide political refugees here.

Note that I live 100 miles N of the border so this is of particular concern to me

Remember that about every 100 years or so Mexico descends into chaos-----------it is about due (2010)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,737,328 times
If we put troops on the border and stopped the drug flow you stop Mexico's drug lords in their tracks.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,060,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
If we put troops on the border and stopped the drug flow you stop Mexico's drug lords in their tracks.
I agree in part, but that doesn't ultimately resolve the problem, does it.

As long as the American public, the general citizen and the upper crust, believe that recreational drug usage should be illegal, as long as the concept of "its my body" exists, as long as, "whats the problem, its only a little pot", we will not be able to stop the situation.

This country need as good punch in the mouth, and maybe an invasion of drug lords, and fleeing citizens, the specter of a failed government and a country at war is just what we need.

We, through our permissiveness, tolerance and CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR as drug induced deviants have triggered this event. We created this beast, we caught it and now we get to clean it.. Unfortunately for me, I get to help you clean it up.

And please dont go to the legal vs illegal drug addiction argument, Im really not interested in fruitless discussion this early in the am.........

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 AM

972 posts, read 3,575,598 times
The solution will be that US Army Special Groups fight directly against narcos in Mexico...

Regards!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,479,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
The solution will be that US Army Special Groups fight directly against narcos in Mexico...

Regards!
And the Law of Unintended Consequences may come into play here if the US Military is in Mexico.........

Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM

124 posts, read 485,608 times
Man... someone here needs to stop watching Chuck Norris movies... geeez!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,488,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona Republic article

My blood ran cold when I read the above article.

We (the USA) had better be prepared for possibly millions of frightened, injured Mexican refugees here in our Southwest very soon. Note; this variety of 'illegal alien' will be part of Mx's Middle Class----------read that folks who would not dream of 'hopping the border' for that 'better life' BS. We are discussing bona fide political refugees here.

Note that I live 100 miles N of the border so this is of particular concern to me

Remember that about every 100 years or so Mexico descends into chaos-----------it is about due (2010)
I believe that people worry too much about things that never happen, I don't believe that middle class Mexicans like alxtronics, el inombrable or myself are seriously pondering the possibility of leaving our home country due to the violence, we aren't hidden beneath our desks trembling in fear either.

That myth about that every 100 years or so Mexico descends into chaos is just that a myth

Sure there's violence and it is geting worse, but it is due to the fact that drug cartels have been hit heavily, what did you expect, that they would just give up and leave with an smile? Who said that life was easy, or trouble free? besides that the USA is facing problems as bad as ours or worse.

You have 20 million illegal immigrants and the number is going up
America's the epicenter of the worst economic crisis in generations!! the fiscal deficit is around the trillions of dollars and will only get worse during the next 10 years:

Long-term problems include inadequate investment in economic infrastructure, rapidly rising medical and pension costs of an aging population, sizable trade and budget deficits, and stagnation of family income in the lower economic groups. The merchandise trade deficit reached a record $847 billion in 2007.

source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html

and add Iraq and Afganistan to the equation....But who is talking about a collapsing America? no one, so why the belief that Mexico is about to collapse if our problems seem tame in comparison.

And you know as always the fearmongers like to write articles, as they wrote that article about the collapse of Mexico, there is another one that predicts the collapse of the USA.

The US Army War College is on the case - ready to handle "unforeseen economic collapse" and the "rapid dissolution of public order in all or significant parts of the US."

And you thought we were just dealing with a recession!

Full article: http://www.nypost.com/seven/12232008...t_o_145522.htm

do you really believe it? I don't, neither the collapse of Mexico nor the collapse of the USA

Just my humble two cents, regards!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 01-19-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

972 posts, read 3,575,598 times
Ha! That´s true, no body is seen the very near collapse of the USA, anyway if USA dies Mexico will be very death also...

Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,488,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Ha! That´s true, no body is seen the very near collapse of the USA, anyway if USA dies Mexico will be very death also...
Perhaps, but fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, none of us has a crystal ball that predicts the future, so as the wise zen master said.

we shall see..

for those who don't know the story:

There was once a boy in a village who got a new bicycle for his birthday. Since such luxuries were rare in the village, everyone was delighted for the boy. However, the elder Zen master in the village was skeptical about the benefits of such a gift when queried: "We shall wait and see how good a gift this bicycle is."

Now. One day as the boy was cycling through the village another boy who was jealous of him, his shiny new bike, and his general air of pompousness, threw a stone at the wheel of his bike. The boy subsequently lost control of the bike, careened into a tree stump and broke both his legs. Everyone in the village thought this to be a terrible eventuality. They scolded and punished the boy who threw the stone and cajoled and comforted the boy who had fallen off his bike.

Yet everyone was amazed at the Zen master and his wisdom so, they sought his consult once more on these developments. "We shall wait and see how bad an accident this is for both boys."

Some villagers were unsure about the Zen master's actual wisdom due to the similarity in semantics between his two statements. However, soon after a War broke out between the tribe in the village and nearby tribes. The boy who had fallen off his bike was unable to go to War as both his legs were broken. The boy who had thrown the stone was compelled to go to War.

He returned as a corpse.

Nobody in the village ever questioned the Zen master's wisdom again.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,707,166 times
The current drug war that we're seeing in Mexico is, in part, a direct result of a revolution. President Vicente Fox Quesada (2000-2006) broke the 70+ year monopoly of the ruling political party (PRI) in Mexican politcs. This began the "unraveling of a longtime implicit arrangement between narcotics traffickers and governments controlled by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI)." He had begun a war on drugs which succeeded in capturing the reigning Arellano Félix Cartel members of which had eluded the USA's FBI 10 most wanted list for years (photo below). That is, until 2002 when the brothers were killed by Mexican officials. The fight to become the next power player began - this is what we're seeing now. These are similar problems that Colombia faces after having taken out the 2 major cartels. Unfortunately, not much more success was accomplished in Mexico in the early 2000's.

In December, 2006, Felipe Calderon was elected President. He vowed to continue the fight against the drug trade. He immediately sent 6500 troops to Michoacan to fight the activity there & to combat the many corrupt police who involved in drug trafficking. Many say that this started the current "war" between the cartel and the government (ala revolution). Today there are more than 25,000 troops involved in the fight. The problem is that it's becoming a blood bath.

In September 2008, grenade attacks in Morelia by suspected cartel members killed eight civilians and injured more than 100. In January 2009, a U.S. military assessment expressed concern that the war could cause a "rapid and sudden collapse" of the Mexican government due to the military strength of organized crime. I'm not sure how they are supposed to handle the problem. How would we handle the problem? You're probably saying that the US would never have such a problem. But you see, it's simple supply and demand economics. Mexican (Colombian, etc) cartels are making TONS of money supplying drugs to satisfy a real demand for them. It's business.

Oh, and by the way... Let's not forget that where all those drugs are headed... That's right, the good ole US of A.
SIZING UP AMERICA'S DRUG PROBLEM:
60% of the world's illegal drug market is in the U.S.A. (with 6% of the world's population);
Over 20 million Americans use Marijuana;
An estimated 6 million Americans use Cocaine;
An estimated half a million Americans use Heroin;
An estimated 13 million Americans are alcoholics;
Almost 1/3 of Americans between ages 20 and 40 have used an illicit drug once in the past year
Almost 1/2 of Americans Entering the work Force have used an illicit drug once in the past year.
Many of these drug users are prominent citizens in our communities. They are business owners, doctors, civic leaders, parents and neighbors. Consider the profile of a regular cocaine user:

Well educated [average of 14 years of education]
Employed [77%] and well-paid [37% earn over 25K]
56% engage in illegal activity other than drug possession to support the habit.
[Source: National Drug Task Force Journal] Drug Free Workplace - America's Drug Problem (http://www.drugfreeworkplace.com/employees/americandrugproblem.htm#legalizedrugs - broken link)

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/fugitives/sandiego/poster_english.gif (broken link)

If you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War
Ramón Arellano Félix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mexico's Drug War Death Toll: 8,463 and Counting | | the narcosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or